Acceptance Gift?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:15 am

Just wondering if anyone else's firm did this after you accepted a summer associate offer. I'll keep it private for the moment because I'm not really sure how significant the practice is among law firms, but it was just something relatively small that actually meant a ton to me. Anyone?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering if anyone else's firm did this after you accepted a summer associate offer. I'll keep it private for the moment because I'm not really sure how significant the practice is among law firms, but it was just something relatively small that actually meant a ton to me. Anyone?


It isn't common, unless your firm is Sullivan and Cromwell.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:23 am

I disagree with the above poster. A good deal of firms give acceptance gifts, and some firms even give small gifts to everyone who received offers in addition to the standard offer dinners and small trinkets at events.

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby mrloblaw » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering if anyone else's firm did this after you accepted a summer associate offer. I'll keep it private for the moment because I'm not really sure how significant the practice is among law firms, but it was just something relatively small that actually meant a ton to me. Anyone?


No. You're clearly just the most promising student to be in the current crop of 2L's nationwide, hence the firm's inordinate wooing of you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:49 am

mrloblaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering if anyone else's firm did this after you accepted a summer associate offer. I'll keep it private for the moment because I'm not really sure how significant the practice is among law firms, but it was just something relatively small that actually meant a ton to me. Anyone?


No. You're clearly just the most promising student to be in the current crop of 2L's nationwide, hence the firm's inordinate wooing of you.

I feel like most firms give out stuff, even in OCI screeners. I even got a pretty nice USB stick from one of them. I'm pretty sure this is a common practice.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby dood » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:55 am

basket of goodies for finals

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:05 am

Whew, I read this and was super worried I had dropped the ball on something and that I was supposed to give my firm a gift. Thank goodness.

No gift. Really fancy dinner when trying to woo me from the other firm I was considering. Coffee mug and goodies at the callback. I thought I was gonna get a totebag, but nope. They were just all carrying them around for some reason. Oh well. I got a job, that's the main thing.

truevines
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:16 pm

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby truevines » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering if anyone else's firm did this after you accepted a summer associate offer. I'll keep it private for the moment because I'm not really sure how significant the practice is among law firms, but it was just something relatively small that actually meant a ton to me. Anyone?


Got a blanket and a fleece after finals.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:32 am

OP here.

Upon acceptance of offer, firm asked me to select a charity of my choice, local or national, for a $50 donation. Came in the form of a prepaid code at an online charity site that directs funds to numerous charities. Again, this was completely unexpected and came after I accepted the offer as a "we're delighted you'll be joining us for the summer of 2012" message. Beyond classy to give a gift at that point, and to have that particular type of gift... it's honestly just sort of staggering because it means a lot to me on several different levels. It wasn't swag, it was a gift that communicated a message of welcoming that I could not appreciate more. Not naming firm at the moment, partially because I want it to be a surprise for others as well. :- )

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

Upon acceptance of offer, firm asked me to select a charity of my choice, local or national, for a $50 donation. Came in the form of a prepaid code at an online charity site that directs funds to numerous charities. Again, this was completely unexpected and came after I accepted the offer as a "we're delighted you'll be joining us for the summer of 2012" message. Beyond classy to give a gift at that point, and to have that particular type of gift... it's honestly just sort of staggering because it means a lot to me on several different levels. It wasn't swag, it was a gift that communicated a message of welcoming that I could not appreciate more. Not naming firm at the moment, partially because I want it to be a surprise for others as well. :- )


Congrats on Perkins Coie! :)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:40 am

Haha, why thank you, and congratulations to you as well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:00 am

Can we start making a list of firms and their acceptance gifts? I have a few different firms I'm choosing between, have no clue which one to choose, and was going to just flip a coin. This might be a better way. Really only interested in V10 firms, but I guess others w/o V10 offers are still free to post what they want. Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

Upon acceptance of offer, firm asked me to select a charity of my choice, local or national, for a $50 donation. Came in the form of a prepaid code at an online charity site that directs funds to numerous charities. Again, this was completely unexpected and came after I accepted the offer as a "we're delighted you'll be joining us for the summer of 2012" message. Beyond classy to give a gift at that point, and to have that particular type of gift... it's honestly just sort of staggering because it means a lot to me on several different levels. It wasn't swag, it was a gift that communicated a message of welcoming that I could not appreciate more. Not naming firm at the moment, partially because I want it to be a surprise for others as well. :- )


Congrats on Perkins Coie! :)


Do you mind sharing which Perkins office this is?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:46 am

Debevoise sent ipods....

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:58 am

List of Post-Offer Gifts I Know of:
Sullivan & Cromwell - Cookies
Arnold & Porter - Umbrella
Kirkland & Ellis - MARKET-SHATTERING B...rownies
Cravath - Nothing

List of Post-Acceptance Gifts (from the thread):
Perkins Coie - Donation to a charity
Debevoise - iPods

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:List of Post-Offer Gifts I Know of:
Sullivan & Cromwell - Cookies
Arnold & Porter - Umbrella
Kirkland & Ellis - MARKET-SHATTERING B...rownies
Cravath - Nothing

List of Post-Acceptance Gifts (from the thread):
Perkins Coie - Donation to a charity
Debevoise - iPods


iPods? Seriously?

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Bosque » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:List of Post-Offer Gifts I Know of:
Sullivan & Cromwell - Cookies
Arnold & Porter - Umbrella
Kirkland & Ellis - MARKET-SHATTERING B...rownies
Cravath - Nothing

List of Post-Acceptance Gifts (from the thread):
Perkins Coie - Donation to a charity
Debevoise - iPods


iPods? Seriously?


Gotta know the model before I get jealous. If they are just damn shuffles, that is a booby prize. I'd rather have the cookies.

User avatar
jeeptiger09
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby jeeptiger09 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:27 am

Bosque wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:List of Post-Offer Gifts I Know of:
Sullivan & Cromwell - Cookies
Arnold & Porter - Umbrella
Kirkland & Ellis - MARKET-SHATTERING B...rownies
Cravath - Nothing

List of Post-Acceptance Gifts (from the thread):
Perkins Coie - Donation to a charity
Debevoise - iPods


iPods? Seriously?


Gotta know the model before I get jealous. If they are just damn shuffles, that is a booby prize. I'd rather have the cookies.


TITCR, especially if they are Insomnia Cookies.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:34 am

jeeptiger09 wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:List of Post-Offer Gifts I Know of:
Sullivan & Cromwell - Cookies
Arnold & Porter - Umbrella
Kirkland & Ellis - MARKET-SHATTERING B...rownies
Cravath - Nothing

List of Post-Acceptance Gifts (from the thread):
Perkins Coie - Donation to a charity
Debevoise - iPods


iPods? Seriously?


Gotta know the model before I get jealous. If they are just damn shuffles, that is a booby prize. I'd rather have the cookies.


TITCR, especially if they are Insomnia Cookies.


They were from Downtown Cookie and were delicious. But I'd take ipods over them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:41 am

kirkland's post offer brownies were the greatest gift of all time

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:45 am

GDC Cookies

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:53 am

This is a bit silly, but I'll bite.

DPW - Nada.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:kirkland's post offer brownies were the greatest gift of all time
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

Upon acceptance of offer, firm asked me to select a charity of my choice, local or national, for a $50 donation. Came in the form of a prepaid code at an online charity site that directs funds to numerous charities. Again, this was completely unexpected and came after I accepted the offer as a "we're delighted you'll be joining us for the summer of 2012" message. Beyond classy to give a gift at that point, and to have that particular type of gift... it's honestly just sort of staggering because it means a lot to me on several different levels. It wasn't swag, it was a gift that communicated a message of welcoming that I could not appreciate more. Not naming firm at the moment, partially because I want it to be a surprise for others as well. :- )


Congrats on Perkins Coie! :)


Do you mind sharing which Perkins office this is?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:32 am

Skadden said we'd be getting something shortly, as they sent a "congratulations" email and asked for clothing sizes. (I suspect a jacket).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:35 am

Kasowitz Benson - basket of personalized, legal-themed cookies.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.