SEC Honors Summer Law Program

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SEC Honors Summer Law Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:03 pm

Anyone have any experience with this program? Have a phone interview coming up soon. What kind if questions do they generally ask? I'm interviewing for compliance btw.

Danteshek

Re: SEC Honors Summer Law Program

Postby Danteshek » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:15 pm

Prepare a script. Focus on your industry experience. They will expect you to talk intelligently about Dodd-Frank. Maybe read up on some recent SEC rules and regulations. It's important to show that you know enough to form an opinion.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:58 pm

[censored]
Last edited by Jericwithers on Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:23 pm

Danteshek wrote:Prepare a script. Focus on your industry experience. They will expect you to talk intelligently about Dodd-Frank. Maybe read up on some recent SEC rules and regulations. It's important to show that you know enough to form an opinion.

Is Dodd-Frank something they expect me to know a lot about on my own? We haven't covered it in any of my classes yet.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Prepare a script. Focus on your industry experience. They will expect you to talk intelligently about Dodd-Frank. Maybe read up on some recent SEC rules and regulations. It's important to show that you know enough to form an opinion.

Is Dodd-Frank something they expect me to know a lot about on my own? We haven't covered it in any of my classes yet.

If you had a real interest in working for the SEC, you would know about Dodd-Frank and its implementation. You would know, for example, that DF requires about 400 rules and the SEC has only written about 40 of them (not sure of the last count.) You would know that the tea party Congress is starving the SEC for funding in hopes of limiting the impact of DF. You would know that the reason banks are raising fees on consumers is to compensate for DF limitations on transaction fees it can charge merchants. I assume that they saw something in your background that indicates an interest in financial markets. SEC has been criticized a lot for having too many folks who know nothing about the industries they regulate. If they sense that you fall in that category, you are probably not going to get hired.

Return to “Legal Employment”