Is the hiring season over yet? Everywhere? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is the hiring season over yet? Everywhere?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:38 pm

6 callbacks (5 completed, 1 still to come)
3 dings
3 yet-to-be-heard (including the one I haven't gone on yet)

Are there any markets that are still active? What should I be doing right now? My ties are to Florida and Georgia, but I'm not there right now (so I can't network in person).

Is New York BL still giving CBs?

Anonymous User

Re: Is the hiring season over yet? Everywhere?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:6 callbacks (5 completed, 1 still to come)
3 dings

Are there any markets that are still active? What should I be doing right now? My ties are to Florida and Georgia, but I'm not there right now (so I can't network in person).

I have one more this week, my last one, in NY. But I do know that Seward & Kissel, one of the laggards in the NY market has already started making offers, so I would be very doubtful that many firms are giving CBs in NY. That said, I do know of a very large firm in the midwest that is only partway through its callbacks and two large firms in DC where the recruiters claim to have not started callbacks.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:02 pm

I believe my firm has its last callbacks this coming week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
3 dings

I have one more this week, my last one, in NY. But I do know that Seward & Kissel, one of the laggards in the NY market has already started making offers, so I would be very doubtful that many firms are giving CBs in NY. That said, I do know of a very large firm in the midwest that is only partway through its callbacks and two large firms in DC where the recruiters claim to have not started callbacks.
If you don't mind, which DC firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:42 pm

(a) Yes, Jesus, which DC firms??!!

(b) Are any markets slower than others to wrap this shit up? I'll start cold-calling my school's alumni.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:43 pm

Secondary markets seem to be slower.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:44 pm

Grizz wrote:Secondary markets seem to be slower.
the problem is that these markets also tend to want very strong ties.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
3 dings

I'd rather not say at they could have been lying/selectively telling me, which could out me. I am up for PMing anyone who wants it though.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
3 dings

I'd rather not say at they could have been lying/selectively telling me, which could out me. I am up for PMing anyone who wants it though.
Could you pm me?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:54 pm

No. Just saw WSGR's Palo Alto online callback schedule (used my old link). They have 15+ callbacks scheduled up to early October. But they are not giving callbacks anymore, as far as I know.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
3 dings

Could I have a PM too please?

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:55 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
3 dings

Could you pm me?
Me too, plz.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
They do. If you haven't applied in them though, get on it. Anywhere you can make a tangible connection.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:12 pm

Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
They do. If you haven't applied in them though, get on it. Anywhere you can make a tangible connection.
From my personal experience, secondary markets are hard to crack. Even when you have strong ties, those firms are very suspicious of a T14 student wanting to move to their "lowly" market. I had two callbacks at two top firms in my home city (think Pitts/Cleveland/Cincinnati) in early August, and I still haven't heard back from them yet. I actually really want to work in my home city, as long as I see firms showing me some love.

lightsandbuzz

New

Post by lightsandbuzz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
3 dings

I'd definitely appreciate a PM!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
From my personal experience, secondary markets are hard to crack. Even when you have strong ties, those firms are very suspicious of a T14 student wanting to move to their "lowly" market. I had two callbacks at two top firms in my home city (think Pitts/Cleveland/Cincinnati) in early August, and I still haven't heard back from them yet. I actually really want to work in my home city, as long as I see firms showing me some love.
Interesting. UT/Vandy here, have had a great time in my home market. Have had a harder time in major markets depite good grades. Perhaps I seem like a down home guy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote: From my personal experience, secondary markets are hard to crack. Even when you have strong ties, those firms are very suspicious of a T14 student wanting to move to their "lowly" market. I had two callbacks at two top firms in my home city (think Pitts/Cleveland/Cincinnati) in early August, and I still haven't heard back from them yet. I actually really want to work in my home city, as long as I see firms showing me some love.
Sounds like you go to a top 14 outside of your home market's region. That can be very important. Sometimes TLS' rankings obsession can screw you. For example if you want to work in Pitts/Cleveland/Cincinatti even if you are from there you should go to Michigan over NYU even though it has a "higher" ranking. If you go to a top 14 with a base in your secondary market and you have ties then, ignoring grades, it shouldn't be a problem. Case in point, a Southerner with good grades from UVA or Duke is going to do fine in Southern markets. If you go to UVA pull a 3.5 and are from the South, you're going to do very well in Atlanta, Birmingham, Nashville etc. If you went to Berkeley you'll probably still be alright, but it's going to be much harder to convince them why you want to be in the South--they'll wonder why the heck you went all the way to the Bay Area if you really wanted to work in Nashville.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:34 pm

Hiring season is nowhere close to over. I'm getting interview requests on an almost daily basis from resumes I sent over no more than a week or 2 ago. These are NY firms btw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: From my personal experience, secondary markets are hard to crack. Even when you have strong ties, those firms are very suspicious of a T14 student wanting to move to their "lowly" market. I had two callbacks at two top firms in my home city (think Pitts/Cleveland/Cincinnati) in early August, and I still haven't heard back from them yet. I actually really want to work in my home city, as long as I see firms showing me some love.
Sounds like you go to a top 14 outside of your home market's region. That can be very important. Sometimes TLS' rankings obsession can screw you. For example if you want to work in Pitts/Cleveland/Cincinatti even if you are from there you should go to Michigan over NYU even though it has a "higher" ranking. If you go to a top 14 with a base in your secondary market and you have ties then, ignoring grades, it shouldn't be a problem. Case in point, a Southerner with good grades from UVA or Duke is going to do fine in Southern markets. If you go to UVA pull a 3.5 and are from the South, you're going to do very well in Atlanta, Birmingham, Nashville etc. If you went to Berkeley you'll probably still be alright, but it's going to be much harder to convince them why you want to be in the South--they'll wonder why the heck you went all the way to the Bay Area if you really wanted to work in Nashville.
True, and I actually gave up Mich/Uchi to go to a lower ranked T14 because of fit. I underestimated the importance of ties.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hiring season is nowhere close to over. I'm getting interview requests on an almost daily basis from resumes I sent over no more than a week or 2 ago. These are NY firms btw.
Can you disclose which firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:58 pm

quiver wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hiring season is nowhere close to over. I'm getting interview requests on an almost daily basis from resumes I sent over no more than a week or 2 ago. These are NY firms btw.
Can you disclose which firms?
Within the past 2 weeks, I've gotten interview requests from Paul Hastings, Jones Day, clifford chance, Kirkland, Baker Botts, and Brown Rudnick. Some of these interviews came through straight up mailing a few weeks ago, and a bunch came as a result of some networking and getting in touch with people. All but one were just requests for screeners, but due to the compounded timeframe, the followup CB requests came very fast.

People told me I'm at a disadvantage interviewing so late, but the firms I visit emphatically say that is not the case. Most say hiring goes well into October, and sometimes as late as early November. And if you can wow them, it doesn't matter when they interview you because you will still get that offer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

azntwice

Bronze

Post by azntwice » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:45 am

I've been told that in NY BL, 95% of offers are given out by the end of september. So if you really really hustle, you can maybe still get an offer, but it would be more worth your time to apply elsewhere.

out17

New

Post by out17 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
3 dings

PM please? Thanks a ton.

deebs

Bronze

Post by deebs » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:24 am

out17 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
3 dings

PM please? Thanks a ton.
Me too, please

Gigaton Punch

New

Post by Gigaton Punch » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
3 dings

PM please!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”