Boston Big Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LawSchoolChampion

Boston Big Law

Postby LawSchoolChampion » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:42 am

If I wanted to work in Boston "big law" would it be better to take a school in the top 14 or ED BU (their ED is a full ride).

I have strong family ties to Boston and I grew up there. I visit every summer and plan to live there one day. [EDIT]
Last edited by LawSchoolChampion on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blindmelon

Re: Boston Big Law

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:24 am

If you have significant ties to Boston then T14 would work for biglaw, but it also depends on what T14 you're talking about. UVA places surprisingly well in Boston and Choate/Wilmer have huge UVA contingents. Theres also a decent number of Northwestern/Cornell students. If you don't have strong Boston ties (like lived in Boston), then I would take BU. Boston firms are very, very into local ties and most local firms summer classes are overwhelmingly filled with H/BU/BC. For example, Goodwin usually had 19 SAs and 5 were from BU. WH had about 22/33 SAs from Boston schools. Ropes is almost all Harvard and a lot of the smaller firms take all BU/BC.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:37 am

Absolutely BU.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:46 am

while i agree that if you are 100% sure you want boston big law BU would be a good choice, just know that your margin of error is much smaller then if you went to a T14. that is, while slightly above median at a T14 and decent interviewing skills will get you CBs in Boston, at BU you'd likely need to be at least top 1/3, if not top 20%, of your class to be a serious candidate at the big firms.

also, if you're not 100% sure you want boston, a T14 will usually give you more access to other markets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:52 am

This year, people at my CCN school with ties to Boston cleaned up there. I think that if you can get into the top third at a T6 AND have family in or are from Massachusetts, just about any firm in Boston will be eager to give you a callback. I don't suspect this is true at BU and would guess that you need to have much better credentials to get a serious look at R&G/WH/GP.

If you don't have legitimate ties to Mass. but are absolutely certain about wanting to work there, then go BU.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:56 am

BU with the full ride. Boston summer classes are mostly Harvard/BU/BC with most of the non-HBB people having gone to undergrad around Boston/New England generally.

LawSchoolChampion

Postby LawSchoolChampion » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:25 am

I grew up in Mass and my grandfather is a professor (not at the law school).

I have strong family ties / history to Boston.

I am looking into Cornell, Penn, Michigan, and a few non-T 14s (including BU/BC).

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:28 am

LawSchoolChampion wrote:I grew up in Mass and my grandfather is a professor (not at the law school).

I have strong family ties / history to Boston.

I am looking into Cornell, Penn, Michigan, and a few non-T 14s (including BU/BC).

I would take BU full ride over those schools. If its those schools w/$, closer call. If you're looking at CC, then it depends on how risk adverse you are.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:42 am

Cornell does well in Boston.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:16 pm

I worked at one of Wilmer/Ropes/Goodwin in Boston and talked to other summers from BC/BU. They told me that people from their classes had to be Top 25% or so to get a job. Cornell, Penn, and Michigan definitely place more than the Top 25% into big law jobs.

If your goal is to graduate debt-free, then take BU.

If your goal is to maximize your chance of working as a lawyer, don't apply ED to BU.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I worked at one of Wilmer/Ropes/Goodwin in Boston and talked to other summers from BC/BU. They told me that people from their classes had to be Top 25% or so to get a job. Cornell, Penn, and Michigan definitely place more than the Top 25% into big law jobs.

If your goal is to graduate debt-free, then take BU.

If your goal is to maximize your chance of working as a lawyer, don't apply ED to BU.

To get a job? No. To get a bigfirm job, its more like top 1/3rd to be competitive. Its not all grades, as I know people at median who got SAs at big firms (admittedly not at WH/RG/GP). C/P/M will definately give you a better shot at a bigfirm overall, but in Boston its debatable. Michigan is virtually unrepresented in Boston, as is Penn (could be self-selectoin, but who knows). There were a few Cornell people in the summer class, but if you're looking at MVP range of schools and would rather do that than take the $ at BU, I strongly recommend taking UVA over the other two if you want to be in Boston.

jacksonmead

Postby jacksonmead » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:44 am

Debated this question with myself for many months. Ended up EDing UVA.

Not that I have any special info, just an additional opinion.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:28 am

I went to a T6, had little below median grades, was born and lived in Boston my whole life and struck out. I went on 15 screener interviews with every major firm in the market that came to OCI except one. I'm c/o 2012 so maybe my story is outdated, but if I had to do it again I would have bid all on NY. I'd take BU.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:43 am

Just as a counterpoint, I'm at CCN, 2013, top quarter, with Boston ties, and got callbacks at almost every Boston firm who came to OCI. Obviously grades and class year could have made all the difference, but I think that I had a much better shot at Boston than a top 25% BU student would have.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:51 am

At my Boston firm this summer, only 25% were from BU/BC type schools. 75% were from t-14. If you want Boston and nowhere else, and have no New England ties, I would go with BU/BC, but I do believe t-14 gives you more margin for error if you do have ties. Though near free tuition at BU/BC probably is the best call for most people.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:21 pm

I was last anon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just as a counterpoint, I'm at CCN, 2013, top quarter, with Boston ties, and got callbacks at almost every Boston firm who came to OCI. Obviously grades and class year could have made all the difference, but I think that I had a much better shot at Boston than a top 25% BU student would have.

I'm the above 2012 poster. It did seem like all the callbacks went to the same few people with high grades. I think they just saw the same 20 or so candidates with ties to the area.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:58 pm

KMaine wrote:I was last anon.

To be fair, most of the BU people that got offers there (of 7 I think), I only think 1 took it. The rest went to GP/WH/R+G or NY firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:01 pm

fwiw I'm a transfer student to CCN and found it somewhat difficult to break into the Boston market via OCI. R&G was the only callback I received out of 5 or 6 Boston interviews. That said, I did get an offer from them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just as a counterpoint, I'm at CCN, 2013, top quarter, with Boston ties, and got callbacks at almost every Boston firm who came to OCI. Obviously grades and class year could have made all the difference, but I think that I had a much better shot at Boston than a top 25% BU student would have.

I'm the above 2012 poster. It did seem like all the callbacks went to the same few people with high grades. I think they just saw the same 20 or so candidates with ties to the area.

Quoted anon here. Yes, I agree it seemed pretty feast or famine. It didn't seem like places like Goulston, Mintz, etc. were much more lenient on grades than the big 3 (probably due to size).

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:40 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
KMaine wrote:I was last anon.

To be fair, most of the BU people that got offers there (of 7 I think), I only think 1 took it. The rest went to GP/WH/R+G or NY firms.

Certainly fair, but perhaps expected as (again just speculation) perhaps the firm only targeted the best from those schools knowing that many would go to the firms mentioned above. Not sure they would have preferred to fill the class with BC/BU. OPs question is not a simple one, because I am not sure I would have had the opportunities that I did had I gone to BU/BC. That said, Ropes, etc. take a healthy number of the best students from those schools.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:47 pm

WilmerHale was 7 Harvard, 5 BU, 5 BC, overall 70% from New England area schools. Those from non-New England schools either went to UGrad in the Boston area, or grew up in the area.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:05 pm

Though I am not sure we can really count Harvard for the purposes of OPs question, I will say that all of the Summer Associates at my firm either 1. grew up in New England, 2. went to undergrad in New England or 3. goes to law school in Boston. If you have your heart set on Boston, and have no other New England ties, you should go to BU/BC.

Most people know that I go to Cornell. I will say that most people here with those ties (as far as I can tell), and close to the top half of the class (top 60% or so) got a pretty good SA in Boston. I honestly think, all things considered, you have a better chance getting BACK to Boston with those credentials than you do if you stay at BU/BC. When you factor in a great scholarship versus paying sticker, I would personally take BU/BC any day. So, if I were in OP's shoes, sure I would ED to BU.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:05 pm

Addendum - if I had no chance at decent money from a t-14.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:41 pm

I am top 1/3 at a T6, and had no problem getting offers from the top firms in NYC, CA, and Boston this cycle. I am also someone whose work ethic is directly affected by my immediate environment -- tend to rise to the occasion when put in challenging situations, but don't necessarily push myself if I am in a lax one. Thus, had I gone to BU/BC, I think I would still have ended up somewhere in the top 1/3--not necessarily at the very top of the class --and been in a more precarious position. For me, T14 was the obvious choice. How confident are you that you will end up top 10% at BU/BC?

Also, does OP value having geographic flexibility later on in one's career? Are you considering potentially switching to positions outside of law?

My SO is in Boston for the foreseeable future, so I knew I wanted biglaw in Boston right out of law school. However, given the unpredictable nature of life, our careers could take us to any number of major cities, and we both wanted to be in a position of max flexibility. Coming from a T14 will help you in lateraling to other markets/careers should you ever need or want to.

Return to “Legal Employment”