Advice on where to turn now

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice on where to turn now

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:13 pm

There are some threads on this, but I think my circumstances are kind of unique. So, it looks like I will be striking out in terms of biglaw. I plan on staying in school, mostly because I will graduate with 0 debt, but am unsure of where to go from this point. I was/am legitimately interested in the work biglaw transactional attorneys do (think M&A work), but I now know that is not a real option. I go to Vandy/Texas/GT, and I can't imagine doing "shitlaw" as a career. My grades are just around median, but I was somehow able to secure some callbacks even though I had very few OCI interviews due to my mediocre-to-less-than grades. From what I have been told, I am a very good at interviewing, just apparently not good enough to overcome my poor grades. In early August prior to my school's OCI, I mass mailed the 40-50 biggest firms in my target market (which happens to be outside the regular geographic destination from the school I attend; think Atlanta coming from UT or Dallas/Houston coming from Vanderbilt). From that mass-mailing I got a few "screeners," no CBs, and a few "keep in touch, as we make hiring decisions later in the year." My question is where the hell do I go now? I've done the mass mail thing, it appears I flunked at the BigLaw thing, and now I don't know where to turn. Any help will be much appreciated.

theduder

Re: Advice on where to turn now

Postby theduder » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:16 pm

tough situation. not sure what to tell you, but I hope it works out. the no debt thing makes it a lot better though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:48 pm

nothing?

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:52 pm

If you're going to have 0 debt, just keep networking and try to get an interview through that. Also, brush up on your interview skills--if you got callbacks and no offers, then you probably don't interview so well.

All is not doomed.. everyone has anecdotal stories of getting biglaw offers right up until december, or even in 3L OCI. Just network, network network.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:56 pm

Mass mail the not-biggest firms in your target market? Mass mail other markets, including the one your school is in?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:07 pm

Yeah I'm planning on mass mailing my school's target market at this point. I mean, given a choice I would not want to work in this market, but I don't really have much of a choice at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:22 pm

Sorry to hear about your situation. But lol, what is "shitlaw."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:25 pm

its shitty law... no honestly its just law that is not up to the caliber of BigLaw. think PI...

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to hear about your situation. But lol, what is "shitlaw."

Pejorative term for temp work, personal injury, insurance defense, divorce work, low level private criminal defense, and individual debtors bankruptcy work.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:its shitty law... no honestly its just law that is not up to the caliber of BigLaw. think PI...

I don't think PI qualifies; the moniker is, I think, mostly for firms that have the sweatshop hours and mindless work of notorious biglaw firms without the pay or prestige.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:29 pm

GT? Protip, op does not go to GULC. P.S. nice try putting your school on par with them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:33 pm

Veyron wrote:GT? Protip, op does not go to GULC. P.S. nice try putting your school on par with them.

How do you know I'm not talking about Georgia Tech?

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Veyron wrote:GT? Protip, op does not go to GULC. P.S. nice try putting your school on par with them.

How do you know I'm not talking about Georgia Tech?

i cant believe your sense of humor didnt win them over in the interviews and callbacks

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:35 pm

Look for any kind of work you can find while in school whether with a company, law firm, anything. Paralegal would be fine. Get feet in door now. I mean permanent full time work during school. Working on grades wont help you, let them fall, the only thing that matters now is getting a foot in the door somewhere. Your ability or inability to find such a job and do well and get an offer based on your work should give you a clearer picture about your future. Doubling down on schoolwork wont help you and will leave you as lost at graduation as you feel today.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:36 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:its shitty law... no honestly its just law that is not up to the caliber of BigLaw. think PI...

I don't think PI qualifies; the moniker is, I think, mostly for firms that have the sweatshop hours and mindless work of notorious biglaw firms without the pay or prestige.

Personal injury, not public interest.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:36 pm

mrloblaw wrote:

Low level personal injury work (aka slip and trip) is basically the textbook example.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:38 pm

Grizz wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:

Personal injury, not public interest.

Eep, my bad. I frequently forget that personal injury is a legitimate law subfield. You don't exactly hear anything about it past Torts 101.

Edit: Actually, when I think shitlaw, I just think it's time for areyouinsane to make an appearance.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:42 pm

Screw it! Make your own luck! Go right to some top firms and talk to someone. Once in awhile, a first-year associate from HYS, etc. will begin blowing it right away, and the hiring partner won't feel like sifting through resumes. If you show up at the right time, you can have a job. Knock on doors...make calls directly to firms and get the meetings. Drop off resume's in-person. Be a salesman...sell YOU door-to-door. Show them that you're hungry. If you have the balls to do it, someone will appreciate those balls. :wink:

theduder

Postby theduder » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:48 pm

word pdaddy

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:52 pm

MrAnon wrote:Look for any kind of work you can find while in school whether with a company, law firm, anything. Paralegal would be fine. Get feet in door now. I mean permanent full time work during school. Working on grades wont help you, let them fall, the only thing that matters now is getting a foot in the door somewhere. Your ability or inability to find such a job and do well and get an offer based on your work should give you a clearer picture about your future. Doubling down on schoolwork wont help you and will leave you as lost at graduation as you feel today.

working as a paralegal (especially full time, breaking ABA rules) is not going to help the situation.

Depending on what you did 1L summer, I'd apply to government and public interest jobs in between mass mailing firms. Government is an easier sell for having any chance at 3L OCI, and unpaid summer internships aren't nearly as ultracompetitve as 3L government honors programs. Focus on an area that regulates the businesses that are biglaw clients. It's still not a great option but it's damage control.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:53 pm

Edit because it was clarified that PI could mean Personal Injury as well.

/class warfare rant.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:41 pm

all i can say is good luck

Return to “Legal Employment”