Willkie NYC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Willkie NYC

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Anybody receive an offer or ding after having a CB?

What was the time b/w CB and response?

Anonymous User

Re: Willkie NYC

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:45 pm

there are multiple people at CLS who have willkie offers....not sure about the timing between CB and offer, but i think it was pretty fast.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:10 pm

Waiting, interviewed a week ago. I'm guessing if other people have offers, it's likely to be a ding for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:13 pm

I have them in a week and a half. Pretty psyched for it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have them in a week and a half. Pretty psyched for it.
Same. Looks to be a pretty humane place to work. Hope to see you there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody receive an offer or ding after having a CB?

What was the time b/w CB and response?
they do things quickly. got dinged via snail mail a few days after cb.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:11 pm

Anyone hear back after a cb?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear back after a cb?
Yes... got a letter about a week after.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:04 pm

anybody get any news from willkie? i had CB but still waiting to hear one way or another. definite ding?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:51 pm

I know of at least one person who got an on the spot offer from Willkie.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know of at least one person who got an on the spot offer from Willkie.
is this customary?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know of at least one person who got an on the spot offer from Willkie.
is this customary?
Dunno. My Willkie callback was on the spot from my screener so who knows. Can't speak to the offer situation though because I canceled my callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:52 pm

I had my CB two weeks ago (8/25) and only just now heard back (9/7) with an offer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had my CB two weeks ago (8/25) and only just now heard back (9/7) with an offer.
Awesome. I have my CB next week and I'm super excited. Any advice? (seeing as you obviously rocked it by virtue of your offer)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had my CB two weeks ago (8/25) and only just now heard back (9/7) with an offer.
Awesome. I have my CB next week and I'm super excited. Any advice? (seeing as you obviously rocked it by virtue of your offer)
The associates and partners at Willkie are very laid-back and friendly. Everyone is on a first-name basis and they have an open-door policy, and it really shows. If you've done any callbacks before, don't treat this one any differently. The whole time I was there, I wasn't asked any off-the-wall questions (maybe "What's your biggest weakness") once. Just make sure to be prepared with specific questions about the firm that show you've done your research. Don't go in asking if Willkie has a rotational program. Tell them you've read about it, that the prospect excites you, and ask them about the pros and cons of it, or how easy it is in practice to get staffed on one particularly interesting case or deal.

Also, Bonnie Hurry, the Chief Legal Personnel Officer (de facto recruiting head) is a saint. You probably won't ever meet her. On my CB day, there were 60 callbackers, and she was rushing all over the place and I only saw her face once. Even still, write her a thank-you note (I hand-wrote thank-yous, but I'm from the South... email is probably fine. :D ) Tell her how much you really appreciate the hospitality and that, after speaking with her colleagues, you are even more excited about the prospect of working at Willkie. It can only help you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:11 pm

Do morning callbacks not include lunch?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The associates and partners at Willkie are very laid-back and friendly. Everyone is on a first-name basis and they have an open-door policy, and it really shows. If you've done any callbacks before, don't treat this one any differently. The whole time I was there, I wasn't asked any off-the-wall questions (maybe "What's your biggest weakness") once. Just make sure to be prepared with specific questions about the firm that show you've done your research. Don't go in asking if Willkie has a rotational program. Tell them you've read about it, that the prospect excites you, and ask them about the pros and cons of it, or how easy it is in practice to get staffed on one particularly interesting case or deal.

Also, Bonnie Hurry, the Chief Legal Personnel Officer (de facto recruiting head) is a saint. You probably won't ever meet her. On my CB day, there were 60 callbackers, and she was rushing all over the place and I only saw her face once. Even still, write her a thank-you note (I hand-wrote thank-yous, but I'm from the South... email is probably fine. :D ) Tell her how much you really appreciate the hospitality and that, after speaking with her colleagues, you are even more excited about the prospect of working at Willkie. It can only help you.
This was completely different from my callback experience. Everyone was impersonal and distracted. Guess I caught them on a bad day.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do morning callbacks not include lunch?
My morning callback did not include lunch.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:09 pm

Anyone hear from them yet this week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from them yet this week?

Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from them yet this week?

Bump
I haven't either, so hopefully this is bodes well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:41 pm

I have an interview here Friday and am really excited about it-my top choice going into the CB. Does anyone have any other tips about the CB? The setup of it and any personal anecdotes?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview here Friday and am really excited about it-my top choice going into the CB. Does anyone have any other tips about the CB? The setup of it and any personal anecdotes?
I'm curious what about Willkie has you excited so much that it's your first choice?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:10 pm

Had my CB yesterday. Was very impressed and it is likely among my top choices. Really strong litigation practice, what seems like a particularly humane and respectful working environment, and big on pro bono. And what a view when you get to the reception area!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview here Friday and am really excited about it-my top choice going into the CB. Does anyone have any other tips about the CB? The setup of it and any personal anecdotes?
I'm curious what about Willkie has you excited so much that it's your first choice?
The reviews I have gotten from previous summers who attended my school have all been outstanding, both right after summer and a few years down the road. Much better than the other firms I have CBs with-some higher and lower ranked by vault.

The partner I interviewed with made me want to work with him in a legal area I had never considered beforehand. Always a good feeling when you feel like you'd work well with someone after twenty minutes. Granted his attitude could change while actually working, but that is true of all parties during these interviews.

They generally pay very high bonuses with no billable hour requirement. I am not blind to the fact if you don't make sufficient hours even without a requirement you will be shown the door.

They are often at 100% or close to it offer rates.

-The only bad thing I have heard is they deferred associates. Which doesn't mesh to me with giving out spring bonuses.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”