Will doing patent litigation restrict my exit options? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Will doing patent litigation restrict my exit options?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:55 pm

I'm looking at joining a firm that does primarily patent lit. Likely, I'll be doing patent lit for them (they do other things in other offices). Will this make me unattractive to US Attorneys' Offices down the road? I wonder whether anyone would be interested in someone who has only argued patent cases and any appeals before the federal circuit would be attractive to an office or firm that DOESN'T do these things. Does being a patent litigator close doors? Does it open others?

azntwice

Bronze

Re: Will doing patent litigation restrict my exit options?

Post by azntwice » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking at joining a firm that does primarily patent lit. Likely, I'll be doing patent lit for them (they do other things in other offices). Will this make me unattractive to US Attorneys' Offices down the road? I wonder whether anyone would be interested in someone who has only argued patent cases and any appeals before the federal circuit would be attractive to an office or firm that DOESN'T do these things. Does being a patent litigator close doors? Does it open others?
Patent lit is a very niche field. Everyone pretty much knows everyone else. So yes, it may well limit your options. You should try to find out where firm alumni tend to end up.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”