Callback with offer in hand

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback with offer in hand

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:42 am

What's the wisdom on mentioning an offer from another firm during a callback?

Got an offer from firm #1 in a preferred market. Have a CB later this week with firm #2 in another market. I am almost certainly going to accept the offer from firm #1. It's the better opportunity in terms of practice and location. But in the off-chance that I walk out of firm #2 really digging it, I would like to maximize my chances of getting an offer from them.

Would mentioning the offer help or hurt my chances with firm #2?

Firm #1 is exclusively dedicated to my field, and is one of the very best at it. Firm #2 is a general practice. Thus, the offer increases my worth to firm #2 I think. But I am thinking the location of firm #1 might tell firm #2 that I am not committed to firm #2's market.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Sup Kid

Re: Callback with offer in hand

Postby Sup Kid » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's the wisdom on mentioning an offer from another firm during a callback?

Got an offer from firm #1 in a preferred market. Have a CB later this week with firm #2 in another market. I am almost certainly going to accept the offer from firm #1. It's the better opportunity in terms of practice and location. But in the off-chance that I walk out of firm #2 really digging it, I would like to maximize my chances of getting an offer from them.

Firm #1 is exclusively dedicated to my field, and is one of the very best at it. Firm #2 is a general practice. Thus, the offer increases my worth to firm #2 I think. But I am thinking the location of firm #1 might tell firm #2 that I am not committed to firm #2's market.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

You are thinking too much about this. If the recruiter/interviewer asks, feel free to tell them. Otherwise, it's almost always awkward to bring up otherwise, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's the wisdom on mentioning an offer from another firm during a callback?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

A definite 'no' to the first statement. Having firm A give you an offer in no way adds value to firm B.

A very likely 'yes' to the second one. I'd be careful about mentioning other firms you're considering if they are in different markets.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:44 am

FWIW, you can use the deadline from the 1st offer to place pressure on the 2d firm. If nothing else, you'll probably get a faster response.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:08 pm

vamedic03 wrote:FWIW, you can use the deadline from the 1st offer to place pressure on the 2d firm. If nothing else, you'll probably get a faster response.

Should you wait until the offer deadline is closing in, or is it acceptable to let a firm that you're interested in know about the other offer soon after receiving it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:FWIW, you can use the deadline from the 1st offer to place pressure on the 2d firm. If nothing else, you'll probably get a faster response.

Should you wait until the offer deadline is closing in, or is it acceptable to let a firm that you're interested in know about the other offer soon after receiving it?

It is usually best to let them know ASAP. Give them room/time whenever possible. If you let them know the day before the offer is due, then they might just reject you because they can't get the hiring committee together- or whatever.

Return to “Legal Employment”