V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:49 pm

I interviewed with a boutique firm 1L, got a CB and got rejected and was invited to reapply this year. During my interview, the interviewer dropped "I'm sure you'll be coming in for a call back" after she was discussing another firm in the area who does similar work (and kind of selling them to me a bit). The interviewer talked to my interviewers from last year about me before the interview as well. Would you ever drop something like that in an interview if you didn't already know you'd be extending the CB?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:59 pm

Can you describe the screening interview process for us? I.e. do you go into the interview day with a certain amount of CBs to give and then give them? Do you see the resumes in advance and already note who you like and the CBs are theirs unless they ruin it?

Does the firm get to pick who interviews who in a lottery system?

It would probably be easier if you just describe the process leading up to screening interviews and afterwards?

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere in the thread. I could not find it.

Thank you for adding so much to the TLS community!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:07 pm

What are your thoughts on fluff interviews. I feel like every one of them talks about the interests section of my resume the whole time. There is never even an opportunity to "sell" myself.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:55 pm

3L quasi-superstar here. So what happened is that I was at the top of my old t35 school, transfered, and idiotically proceeded to bid like I was at the top of the school to which I transferred. So I ended up getting no firm and interning for a coa judge. But now i'm at the very top of my t14, and while I could just apply to firms from my eventual clerkship, it would be nice to nail something down now. Of course, even if I had landed a firm job, I could get a much better one now.

marija

New

Post by marija » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L quasi-superstar here. So what happened is that I was at the top of my old t35 school, transfered, and idiotically proceeded to bid like I was at the top of the school to which I transferred. So I ended up getting no firm and interning for a coa judge. But now i'm at the very top of my t14, and while I could just apply to firms from my eventual clerkship, it would be nice to nail something down now. Of course, even if I had landed a firm job, I could get a much better one now.
Was there a point to this beyond bragging about how awesome you are (despite your inability to get a firm job)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP, I am an evening student in a major market T3 school and just started my second year. I finished my first year in the top 10% and made LR while working full-time in a small medical malpractice defense firm. As an evening student, how will I be perceived by potential employers during OCI?
Are you still an evening student? That means you'll graduate in 2014, right? So you won't generally be considered for "true" 2L summer employment by many firms, including mine.

Additionally, FWIW, I think we are somewhat skeptical of evening student grades (whether we should be or not). But if you're above the cutoff and interview well we'd probably give you a shot (our cutoff's generally higher than 10% though for T3 schools)

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with a boutique firm 1L, got a CB and got rejected and was invited to reapply this year. During my interview, the interviewer dropped "I'm sure you'll be coming in for a call back" after she was discussing another firm in the area who does similar work (and kind of selling them to me a bit). The interviewer talked to my interviewers from last year about me before the interview as well. Would you ever drop something like that in an interview if you didn't already know you'd be extending the CB?
Doubtful though did once when grades were worse than I realized and I was more junior. My guess is the 1L interview was, in part, to bait the hook for future years

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can you describe the screening interview process for us? I.e. do you go into the interview day with a certain amount of CBs to give and then give them? Do you see the resumes in advance and already note who you like and the CBs are theirs unless they ruin it?

Does the firm get to pick who interviews who in a lottery system?

It would probably be easier if you just describe the process leading up to screening interviews and afterwards?

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere in the thread. I could not find it.

Thank you for adding so much to the TLS community!

All of this really depends on school, candidate. At least for me, every CB needs to be earned by the interview as well as the grades and resume. Complete package.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:03 pm

Cupidity wrote:What are your thoughts on fluff interviews. I feel like every one of them talks about the interests section of my resume the whole time. There is never even an opportunity to "sell" myself.
If you can't sell yourself by your interests, then you need different interests.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:05 pm

marija wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3L quasi-superstar here. So what happened is that I was at the top of my old t35 school, transfered, and idiotically proceeded to bid like I was at the top of the school to which I transferred. So I ended up getting no firm and interning for a coa judge. But now i'm at the very top of my t14, and while I could just apply to firms from my eventual clerkship, it would be nice to nail something down now. Of course, even if I had landed a firm job, I could get a much better one now.
Was there a point to this beyond bragging about how awesome you are (despite your inability to get a firm job)?
I did ask why he/she was switching firms...

I didn't think you could do that w/clerkships. But I certainly could be wrong. Good luck.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:06 pm

Leaving mid-callback and returning to eat fresh rolls during your interviews was probably your biggest mistake.

On-topic: if your summer class is "X" in size, how many will you bring in for CBs? Furthermore, which questions do you really like? I try to stay away from Q's about the summer program w/ CB interviewers, is this correct?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:15 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP, I am an evening student in a major market T3 school and just started my second year. I finished my first year in the top 10% and made LR while working full-time in a small medical malpractice defense firm. As an evening student, how will I be perceived by potential employers during OCI?
Are you still an evening student? That means you'll graduate in 2014, right? So you won't generally be considered for "true" 2L summer employment by many firms, including mine.

Additionally, FWIW, I think we are somewhat skeptical of evening student grades (whether we should be or not). But if you're above the cutoff and interview well we'd probably give you a shot (our cutoff's generally higher than 10% though for T3 schools)
Yes, I'm still an evening student and won't be eligible for OCI until August of 2012, after I have two complete years of school under my belt. I am taking summer classes though and expect to graduate in December of 2013 rather than May of 2014. Why the skepticism for evening students?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:25 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
Leaving mid-callback and returning to eat fresh rolls during your interviews was probably your biggest mistake.

On-topic: if your summer class is "X" in size, how many will you bring in for CBs? Furthermore, which questions do you really like? I try to stay away from Q's about the summer program w/ CB interviewers, is this correct?
I don't get the first one. I'm not going to give too much detail about us (frankly because I don't know) but assume best case scenario of a yield of say 33% of offers and an offer rate of say 60% of callbacks? So for a class of X we need to offer 3X and therefore callback 5X

I like questions about how specifics of the firm work (so don't ask "how's the summer program", ask how does "x" feature of the summer program/associate program work in reality). Also questions about myself, my life choices to get here (firm/practice group/etc.). People like talking about themselves.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

megamanx

New

Post by megamanx » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:39 pm

I was also curious about questions during an interview. I typically try to answer the interviewers questions and than reserve my own questions towards the end when they ask if I have any questions to ask. Is that appropriate or should I really be asking questions throughout? I just assumed it was improper to switch roles so early in the interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:40 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
marija wrote:

I didn't think you could do that w/clerkships. But I certainly could be wrong. Good luck.
They were kind of vague on what the offer/clerkship nexus was, other than being very definitive on the fact that I could NOT come in to work there for a year, and then jump ship for a 2013 clerkship and come back in 2014. But I assured them I was only looking to (a) clerk from 2012-2013, or (b) continuously from 2012-2014. At which point they seemed very reassured, and asked to let me know where I get a clerkship when I find out.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:40 pm

Thoughts on an early october callback date?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:48 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can you tell us the the three most common (but still reasonable/likable) answers you get on "why law school?" or "why a lawyer?"

Honestly for myself, I don't have an attractive story to tell about why I want to become a lawyer. For me, its just seems like a good fit for me.(with my abilities aptitude and character) I could have gone to graduate school but I didn't like the prospect of becoming a professor or some researcher of some sort. And frankly, there is good pay in this profession.(but with long hours, I know)

But I can't say that in interviews.

So I want to know what recruiters actually like to hear during interviews on that issue.
Why can't you say that? Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
Well, I definitely can't say that I want to be a lawyer b/c of the money. And I'm basically choosing to be in this profession b/c I'm just not that interested in everything else. (rather than being really interested in becoming a lawyer)

Would you be able to still give me a sample answer for those questions you usually get?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:18 pm

So I think he meant that you should go with the "good fit" part. Your abilities, your aptitude, your character. That's a fine answer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:31 am

Thanks for all this! What puzzles me is, in som CB's, the decision-making or at least very important interviewers are some what arrogant. Not too bad, but their gestures and facial expressions just say "I'm not too impressed with you are telling me."

I tend to have some self doubt when the above scenario happens because -- I'm top 10% at a 80ish school in a major market on west coast.
I also have an employment gap before going to law school (unemployed about 1.5 yrs before entering law school, although I have decent explanation).
But, some say litigators just have poker faces (I'm interviewing for litigation).

I guess my resume is strong in junior or even mid-level associates' eyes. But what would you suggest me to do to improve my interview in front of a decision maker with some ego? e.g. be bold, or be submissive?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:50 am

I have a few CBs in market A and only 1 CB in market B. The firms in market A aren't in market B. What should I do if the firm in market B asks me who else I am interviewing with while there?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:49 am

megamanx wrote:I was also curious about questions during an interview. I typically try to answer the interviewers questions and than reserve my own questions towards the end when they ask if I have any questions to ask. Is that appropriate or should I really be asking questions throughout? I just assumed it was improper to switch roles so early in the interview.
My best interviews are effectively true conversations. If it's combative, or adversive, it will feel uncomfortable for both sides. If there's a good question you have in a follow-up to something the interviewer has said, go for it (in a non-awkward way).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
marija wrote:

They were kind of vague on what the offer/clerkship nexus was, other than being very definitive on the fact that I could NOT come in to work there for a year, and then jump ship for a 2013 clerkship and come back in 2014. But I assured them I was only looking to (a) clerk from 2012-2013, or (b) continuously from 2012-2014. At which point they seemed very reassured, and asked to let me know where I get a clerkship when I find out.
I think in that case they've got no interest in you as a 3L (sorry) but would like you to apply after your clerkship (and if it's a good enough clerkship, they'll want to woo you).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a few CBs in market A and only 1 CB in market B. The firms in market A aren't in market B. What should I do if the firm in market B asks me who else I am interviewing with while there?
If market A is NYC or LA, tell them that while Market B is your target market, you aren't attracted to the idea of unemployment. It's gotten me CB's.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on an early october callback date?
Not too late to be a good time to interview? Not really sure. I do always think earlier is better but don't pick a time/date where you'll bomb.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can you tell us the the three most common (but still reasonable/likable) answers you get on "why law school?" or "why a lawyer?"

Honestly for myself, I don't have an attractive story to tell about why I want to become a lawyer. For me, its just seems like a good fit for me.(with my abilities aptitude and character) I could have gone to graduate school but I didn't like the prospect of becoming a professor or some researcher of some sort. And frankly, there is good pay in this profession.(but with long hours, I know)

But I can't say that in interviews.

So I want to know what recruiters actually like to hear during interviews on that issue.
Why can't you say that? Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
Well, I definitely can't say that I want to be a lawyer b/c of the money. And I'm basically choosing to be in this profession b/c I'm just not that interested in everything else. (rather than being really interested in becoming a lawyer)

Would you be able to still give me a sample answer for those questions you usually get?
As the poster below you said, I think killing the money reference and saying the good fit, skills, abilities, etc. based upon what you know is fine. Frankly throwing in the money part is fine too - it's honest.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”