Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Ive been sending out letters consistently for the past month and haven't really heard anything...not even acknowledgements/rejections. Has anyone heard from any mid-sized to larger law firms in NJ yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:03 pm

I sent out about 25 letters approximately a month ago to firms in Jersey, NYC, and the Philly area. I have snail mail 3 rejections and 1 interview and havent heard from the rest of them. None of the firms I heard back from were in Jersey.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:05 pm

Interviews set up for next week with 2 NJ firms. Had screener set up with large Philly firm and will be going back for callback soon. Have 2 more Philly interviews coming up as well. Still waiting on a number of NJ firms to get back to me. Oh, and I had a screener (and was invited to callback) with NJ branch of an NY firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviews set up for next week with 2 NJ firms. Had screener set up with large Philly firm and will be going back for callback soon. Have 2 more Philly interviews coming up as well. Still waiting on a number of NJ firms to get back to me. Oh, and I had a screener (and was invited to callback) with NJ branch of an NY firm.


which firms are those? if you don't mind.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interviews set up for next week with 2 NJ firms. Had screener set up with large Philly firm and will be going back for callback soon. Have 2 more Philly interviews coming up as well. Still waiting on a number of NJ firms to get back to me. Oh, and I had a screener (and was invited to callback) with NJ branch of an NY firm.


which firms are those? if you don't mind.


Im more comfortable PMing you, rather than posting that openly. Make an un-anonymous post and I will PM you.

macbundy
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:20 pm

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby macbundy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:20 pm

OP here: send the pm

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:18 am

interested in this as well. do these firms (preferably mid-sized) start reviewing later than usual? any one from previous years have insight to this?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:interested in this as well. do these firms (preferably mid-sized) start reviewing later than usual? any one from previous years have insight to this?


Seems like its pretty early to me, especially since many of them don't participate in too many OCI programs, so they seem to be happy to speak with qualified applicants early in the process. Had an interview with Porzio and Day Pitney, and have Lowenstein and Sills coming up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:interested in this as well. do these firms (preferably mid-sized) start reviewing later than usual? any one from previous years have insight to this?


Seems like its pretty early to me, especially since many of them don't participate in too many OCI programs, so they seem to be happy to speak with qualified applicants early in the process. Had an interview with Porzio and Day Pitney, and have Lowenstein and Sills coming up.


I see. Seems like those are the powerhouse firms in NJ. I'm wondering about the firms like Bressler, Dinker, Cole, Wilentz, etc.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:interested in this as well. do these firms (preferably mid-sized) start reviewing later than usual? any one from previous years have insight to this?


Seems like its pretty early to me, especially since many of them don't participate in too many OCI programs, so they seem to be happy to speak with qualified applicants early in the process. Had an interview with Porzio and Day Pitney, and have Lowenstein and Sills coming up.


I see. Seems like those are the powerhouse firms in NJ. I'm wondering about the firms like Bressler, Dinker, Cole, Wilentz, etc.


Wilentz doesn't have a summer program anymore.
Cole Schotz said wait a month.
I haven't heard from Bressler or Drinker Biddle, but I do know of the firms you mentioned they (along with Cole Schotz) are interviewing at all of the local NJ schools.

FWIW, I'm not the poster above and only have Sills lined up in NJ. Radio silence from the rest of the NJ firms and I have massive NJ ties.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:26 pm

Had an awesome interview with Lowenstein today and was made an offer a few hours later. Very seriously considering it given how great the people were and how much I liked the firm culture/environment

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had an awesome interview with Lowenstein today and was made an offer a few hours later. Very seriously considering it given how great the people were and how much I liked the firm culture/environment


BTW, Lowenstein has been doing that this year (I know of two other people with Lowenstein offers through this no-screener method). They are trying to "steal" high credentialed people before OCI since they know you can only keep the offer open 28 days and people will barely be going on CB's by then. Kind of shady if you ask me, but they're a solid firm. I just can't imagine someone with the types of credentials these people generally have picking Lowenstein unless you absolutely, unconditionally love NJ.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had an awesome interview with Lowenstein today and was made an offer a few hours later. Very seriously considering it given how great the people were and how much I liked the firm culture/environment


BTW, Lowenstein has been doing that this year (I know of two other people with Lowenstein offers through this no-screener method). They are trying to "steal" high credentialed people before OCI since they know you can only keep the offer open 28 days and people will barely be going on CB's by then. Kind of shady if you ask me, but they're a solid firm. I just can't imagine someone with the types of credentials these people generally have picking Lowenstein unless you absolutely, unconditionally love NJ.


Hmm, well then I will certainly do my research very quickly and get in touch with some people at the firm to learn more. I didn't realize the window would only be 28 days. I certainly don't want to commit to anything before I see the full slate of options available, regardless of what my preference might be.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:27 am

bump

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:39 pm

going to re-bump...still no one has heard nothing from the mid-sized firms?

weren't a lot of firms at the New Jersey Law Firm Group Job Fair on August 2, 2011? I presume some should have invited candidates for call backs...no?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:46 pm

Update on NJ firm apps/interviews through mass mails:

-Callback set up with Proskauer NJ office
-Had 3-person interview with Porzio (1 was a partner), so idk if this was officially a callback and what next step would be
-Had sort of an informational interview with Day Pitney, but wasn't an official interview, though I met some people who said they can likely get something lined up
-Offer on the table from Lowenstein after callback interview
-Sills requested an interview, but no date set yet
-Pepper Hamilton interview set up, and could possibly be for Princeton office, but I'm waiting to find out if Princeton takes summers

As far as OCI goes, I have interviews scheduled with Bressler, and Patton Boggs's Newark office, so I feel like I covered my bases in NJ sufficiently

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:54 pm

Still only Sills here (pseudo-CB for this week), which I'm okay with I suppose.
I do know at least one of the NJ schools has OCI this week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:31 pm

For anyone who interviewed with Porzio- have you heard anything back yet? Just curious to see how long it takes for a reply.

Any news on Sills?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For anyone who interviewed with Porzio- have you heard anything back yet? Just curious to see how long it takes for a reply.

Any news on Sills?


Been over a week since my CB-style interview but still nothing. I'd imagine they want to complete their OCI interviews as well before they start making any offers

User avatar
nyyankees
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby nyyankees » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:33 pm

bump

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:31 pm

Anything new? Apparently Cole Schotz has sent a mass-mail ding. I also think that Bressler is waiting till OCI is over at the NJ schools.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had an awesome interview with Lowenstein today and was made an offer a few hours later. Very seriously considering it given how great the people were and how much I liked the firm culture/environment


BTW, Lowenstein has been doing that this year (I know of two other people with Lowenstein offers through this no-screener method). They are trying to "steal" high credentialed people before OCI since they know you can only keep the offer open 28 days and people will barely be going on CB's by then. Kind of shady if you ask me, but they're a solid firm. I just can't imagine someone with the types of credentials these people generally have picking Lowenstein unless you absolutely, unconditionally love NJ.


Hmm, well then I will certainly do my research very quickly and get in touch with some people at the firm to learn more. I didn't realize the window would only be 28 days. I certainly don't want to commit to anything before I see the full slate of options available, regardless of what my preference might be.

That happened last year too, and they were not at all flexible with extending the 28 days. Clever on their part I guess, but not ideal for top students who hope to have other options.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had an awesome interview with Lowenstein today and was made an offer a few hours later. Very seriously considering it given how great the people were and how much I liked the firm culture/environment


BTW, Lowenstein has been doing that this year (I know of two other people with Lowenstein offers through this no-screener method). They are trying to "steal" high credentialed people before OCI since they know you can only keep the offer open 28 days and people will barely be going on CB's by then. Kind of shady if you ask me, but they're a solid firm. I just can't imagine someone with the types of credentials these people generally have picking Lowenstein unless you absolutely, unconditionally love NJ.


Hmm, well then I will certainly do my research very quickly and get in touch with some people at the firm to learn more. I didn't realize the window would only be 28 days. I certainly don't want to commit to anything before I see the full slate of options available, regardless of what my preference might be.

That happened last year too, and they were not at all flexible with extending the 28 days. Clever on their part I guess, but not ideal for top students who hope to have other options.


Thats a bit unfair of them to be so inflexible. It forces the student to be the bad guy, when in reality the firm could easily have waited to make an offer. As it stands, it makes it seem like the firm is unwilling to allow top candidates to compare their Lowenstein offers alongside all other offers, for fear that the students will take the other options far more often. I guess it depends on how many CB's I have. This may very well lead to a problem as the deadline approaches, seeing as I have CB's scheduled for early September, one just a few days before my Lowenstein deadline. I'm not just going to pick it out of fear. Thats not the way to do things, through pressure.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For anyone who interviewed with Porzio- have you heard anything back yet? Just curious to see how long it takes for a reply.

Any news on Sills?


Been over a week since my CB-style interview but still nothing. I'd imagine they want to complete their OCI interviews as well before they start making any offers


+1, though less than a week for me. They said it would be a while.
Also, Bressler e-mailed me and asked to set up an interview, but I'm not in NJ anymore. They said they do most of their interviewing in September, so just let them know when I'm back.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For anyone who interviewed with Porzio- have you heard anything back yet? Just curious to see how long it takes for a reply.

Any news on Sills?


Been over a week since my CB-style interview but still nothing. I'd imagine they want to complete their OCI interviews as well before they start making any offers


+1, though less than a week for me. They said it would be a while.
Also, Bressler e-mailed me and asked to set up an interview, but I'm not in NJ anymore. They said they do most of their interviewing in September, so just let them know when I'm back.


Had Bressler interview at my school's OCI, and I get the feeling I won't hear back immediately.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.