CLS EIP 2011 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does this thread really need to become a stats compilation? That has the potential to turn into a douchefest. I liked it better when it just provided info about who is giving callbacks, etc.
While I agree it has the potential to turn into something negative, EIP is over and most CBs are out by now, so it would be nice to get a summation of all that's happened so far, and where people stand in relation to their grades or other qualifications. I guess I would also add another line for "interviewing ability."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does this thread really need to become a stats compilation? That has the potential to turn into a douchefest. I liked it better when it just provided info about who is giving callbacks, etc.
While I agree it has the potential to turn into something negative, EIP is over and most CBs are out by now, so it would be nice to get a summation of all that's happened so far, and where people stand in relation to their grades or other qualifications. I guess I would also add another line for "interviewing ability."
There are many firms that have not yet given out CBs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:55 pm

Yeah... I really don't think most of the CBs are out. If you go through last year's thread, people were getting CBs a week or two or even more after EIP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:13 pm

anyone get wilmer ny yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:14 pm

Stone & LR with 15 out of 20 callbacks. No dings yet. 4 of the 5 firms that haven't responded are DC firms.

I bid almost exclusively on V20 firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:25 pm

has anyone heard from shearman yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah... I really don't think most of the CBs are out. If you go through last year's thread, people were getting CBs a week or two or even more after EIP.
So, what firms are we waiting on? Is the consensus that V10s are mostly out, but lower ranked firms are taking longer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:32 pm

I think V10 based on here is

WLRK:?
CSM: Yes
S&C:Yes
Skadden:Yes
DPW:Yes
STB:Yes
Weil:Yes
Cleary:Yes
Cov: Yes
Kirkland: Yes
Latham: Yes

azntwice

Bronze

Post by azntwice » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:54 pm

Posting non-anon b/c I am not trying to troll. I think our year should calm down about trying to compare between yourself and others - we seem to be a lot more cutthroat and competitive than years past, and that's saying a lot already since we go to CLS. Everyone just calm down and focus on your own job search - how well others are doing is not going to affect how well you do. Not that I don't sympathize with median kids (I'm median myself) but I feel like this is one of those situations where networking and meeting people and being nice instead of being bitter and cutthroat is going to be a lot more constructive and productive.

And yes, I think V10 is largely out and V20-50s seem to be taking longer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ariadne86

New

Post by ariadne86 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:10 pm

azntwice wrote:Posting non-anon b/c I am not trying to troll. I think our year should calm down about trying to compare between yourself and others - we seem to be a lot more cutthroat and competitive than years past, and that's saying a lot already since we go to CLS. Everyone just calm down and focus on your own job search - how well others are doing is not going to affect how well you do. Not that I don't sympathize with median kids (I'm median myself) but I feel like this is one of those situations where networking and meeting people and being nice instead of being bitter and cutthroat is going to be a lot more constructive and productive.

And yes, I think V10 is largely out and V20-50s seem to be taking longer.
Truth. Everyone focus on the callbacks you do have, and it'll work out. I think the major thing that's hard is that there is such a sharp divide between median kids and Stone/LR kids that it's sort of demoralizing that some firms just refuse to give the former group the time of day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:15 pm

I second some of the sanity that has appeared in this forum. The feel of this has become a lot like the 6th floor of the Doubletree, unproductive, anxious chatter, constantly comparing yourself to someone else to see if you can a) feel better about yourself or b) decide that you should feel bad about yourself. We all know who's going to do well, I just want to know when I should decide that I've been rejected.

Speaking of, anyone know why V10 firms haven't been sending out rejections?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:31 pm

When people post that they have high honors, LR, and are hearing back from every V20 firm they applied to, they are doing a lot more harm than good for people reading this forum that aren't having such a breeze through the EIP process. I realize you're excited about your success (and you should be! you've accomplished a lot. congrats on that). But let's put this all in some perspective.

Remember that these are callbacks, not offers. EIP to this point has been screening interviews. That means you're being let through the door, but not invited to stay. It's a lot easier to get through the door based solely on credentials, but there's a lot more than that going in to permanent offers.

For those with lower numbers and fewer callbacks, take some heart. Getting callbacks despite having less competitive numbers means that you've already given them a reason beyond your grades to hire you. A lot of breezers can't say the same. Since callback success is based heavily on additional factors like personal appeal and firm fit, you've already demonstrated a level of fit that made them want you even though your grades aren't the bee's knees. That means that even though your callback ratio might be low, your odds of getting an offer are probably relatively high.

The thing we should all be worried about is finding a firm where we'll be happy and that fits us as people. BigLaw is miserable for so many people because so many of us get caught up in rankings and prestige and forget that we should be working in places where we'll be happy. I got callbacks from a few highly-rated firms that had reasons to call me back (based on interest, demeanor, and background). Other highly rated firms and a lot of lower-rated firms dinged me quickly because they weren't for me and I wasn't for them. My perspective is this: a ding from a firm I don't really want to work for is just as good as an offer from a firm I don't really want to work for (unless I'm left with no other option). We aren't in this to stroke our egos, we're here to find jobs (hopefully the right ones).

But that's just my two cents. Good luck to all of us with callbacks, regardless of whether we're batting .100 or 1.000.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think V10 based on here is

WLRK has already called.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

WLRK has already called.
How is 12-20 looking? Out yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Skadden or MoFo anyone?
Heard MoFo did.
Can anyone confirm MoFo (NY)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

WLRK has already called.
Deb: Yes
PW: Yes
W&C: Yes
GDC: Yes
Sidley: don't know
Quinn: Yes
Boies: don't know
White and Case: Yes
Jones Day: don't know
Arnold and Porter: don't know

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When people post that they have high honors, LR, and are hearing back from every V20 firm they applied to, they are doing a lot more harm than good for people reading this forum that aren't having such a breeze through the EIP process. I realize you're excited about your success (and you should be! you've accomplished a lot. congrats on that). But let's put this all in some perspective.

Remember that these are callbacks, not offers. EIP to this point has been screening interviews. That means you're being let through the door, but not invited to stay. It's a lot easier to get through the door based solely on credentials, but there's a lot more than that going in to permanent offers.

For those with lower numbers and fewer callbacks, take some heart. Getting callbacks despite having less competitive numbers means that you've already given them a reason beyond your grades to hire you. A lot of breezers can't say the same. Since callback success is based heavily on additional factors like personal appeal and firm fit, you've already demonstrated a level of fit that made them want you even though your grades aren't the bee's knees. That means that even though your callback ratio might be low, your odds of getting an offer are probably relatively high.

The thing we should all be worried about is finding a firm where we'll be happy and that fits us as people. BigLaw is miserable for so many people because so many of us get caught up in rankings and prestige and forget that we should be working in places where we'll be happy. I got callbacks from a few highly-rated firms that had reasons to call me back (based on interest, demeanor, and background). Other highly rated firms and a lot of lower-rated firms dinged me quickly because they weren't for me and I wasn't for them. My perspective is this: a ding from a firm I don't really want to work for is just as good as an offer from a firm I don't really want to work for (unless I'm left with no other option). We aren't in this to stroke our egos, we're here to find jobs (hopefully the right ones).

But that's just my two cents. Good luck to all of us with callbacks, regardless of whether we're batting .100 or 1.000.
This is amazing. I wish we weren't posting anonymously so I could hug you. Thank you for providing perspective in a thread that has turned into a forum for comparing stats and shouting about 100% callback rates (which--congrats--but really you should be out relaxing/preparing and not bragging in an online forum). I think you're right about mid-range firms, they have been silent for the most part.

Sending positive vibes to my friends out there who aren't non-stop talking about v10 - good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When people post that they have high honors, LR, and are hearing back from every V20 firm they applied to, they are doing a lot more harm than good for people reading this forum that aren't having such a breeze through the EIP process. I realize you're excited about your success (and you should be! you've accomplished a lot. congrats on that). But let's put this all in some perspective.

This is amazing. I wish we weren't posting anonymously so I could hug you. Thank you for providing perspective in a thread that has turned into a forum for comparing stats and shouting about 100% callback rates (which--congrats--but really you should be out relaxing/preparing and not bragging in an online forum). I think you're right about mid-range firms, they have been silent for the most part.

Sending positive vibes to my friends out there who aren't non-stop talking about v10 - good luck!
Seconded. Wonderful post. Sincerely - thank you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

WLRK has already called.
Deb: Yes
PW: Yes
W&C: Yes
GDC: Yes
Sidley: don't know
Quinn: Yes
Boies: don't know
White and Case: Yes
Jones Day: don't know
Arnold and Porter: don't know
Arnold and Porter is out (came Tues).

Just want to second/third the "chill back" sentiments! A lot of firms aren't out yet, and most of those that are out are the ones most likely to take grades and honors into account.

Also, if people receive an offer they'd be happy with, cancel callbacks you're 95% sure you wouldn't take an offer from. As much as it's nice to be wined and dined, and as much as you can never know 100% you wouldn't take a firm until you've really been there, don't waste anyone's time. Firms have a set number of offers to give out, so don't take a callback if you would never accept their offer because you're really just taking it away from someone who might really want it. My $0.02 at least :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Seconded. Wonderful post. Sincerely - thank you.
To add some more words of hope for those that have not yet heard back nor received an outright rejection--the "hold list" is a very real possibility. Many "medium ranked" firms know that they called back a good deal of people who are "overqualified" and who may not ultimately accept a callback. For example, I bid extremely conservatively because I was terrified of striking out and have no idea how much the job market has actually recovered. Fortunately for me, I ended up doing a lot better than I thought and received callbacks to quite a few of my reaches. I scheduled these reaches immediately so I will be hearing back from them long before I do all my callbacks at some of my "target" and "safety" firms. If I were to get an offer at a reach, I'd immediately cancel quite a few of my other callbacks--freeing up a lot of spots for people on the hold list at those firms to potentially receive a late callback. There are many others in the same position as me. I think the majority of students this year bid conservatively, and that translated into fierce competition at the v30-v100 firms. So if you are someone still waiting to hear back from these firms, there's a *very* real possibility that once others get their top offers and start cancelling, many more spots will open up.

Just hang in there and stay positive. Do the best you can with what you've got so far, but don't think that just because many callbacks were given immediately, that more won't still come in the next few weeks. Columbia has the advantage of doing this process very early compared to some other schools, so employers have many opportunities to take a second look at the individuals they met during our EIP as they progress through the recruiting season.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:53 am

Kaye is calling now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:37 am

has quinn called or just had the dinner?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:35 am

Has anyone successfully scheduled Cadwalader?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:56 am

Kind of random, but did anyone interview with and has anyone heard from McKinsey?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:07 pm

Tried to schedule at Cad, unsuccessful.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”