Number of SA positions per school, by firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sundance1988

New

Number of SA positions per school, by firm

Post by sundance1988 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:55 am

Is there any way to determine how many SA positions a firm awards to each school? I would like to look at this on a large scale (I.e., multiple firms and multiple schools). Is this data contained in NALP or anywhere else? One could probably look through each firm's website and find their past summer classes and see how many students came from any given school but is there a more efficient way of doing this?

The reason I ask is because I am wondering how Columbia and Chicago stack up in terms of #s of offers by firm. Obviously Columbia has more students so I'd expect that firms tend to take more Columbia kids than Chicago kids but I'd like to see percentage wise. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

luthersloan

Bronze

Re: Number of SA positions per school, by firm

Post by luthersloan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Such data, which is at least complied by some firms, would likely not be very useful broken down like that. NLJ has a list of the percentage of students placed in the top 250 firms, broken down by school. Breaking it down by both firm and school would only be useful if you wanted to uncover a firms attachment to particular school.

sundance1988

New

Post by sundance1988 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:46 pm

luthersloan wrote:Such data, which is at least complied by some firms, would likely not be very useful broken down like that. NLJ has a list of the percentage of students placed in the top 250 firms, broken down by school. Breaking it down by both firm and school would only be useful if you wanted to uncover a firms attachment to particular school.
That is essentially what I am trying to do, but I want it for about 15 different firms. I want to see how many students from each of the two schools (Columbia & Chicago) are hired as SAs for those particular firms.

nymario

Bronze

Post by nymario » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:29 pm

sundance1988 wrote:
luthersloan wrote:Such data, which is at least complied by some firms, would likely not be very useful broken down like that. NLJ has a list of the percentage of students placed in the top 250 firms, broken down by school. Breaking it down by both firm and school would only be useful if you wanted to uncover a firms attachment to particular school.
That is essentially what I am trying to do, but I want it for about 15 different firms. I want to see how many students from each of the two schools (Columbia & Chicago) are hired as SAs for those particular firms.
Why not just go to the firms' websites and search attorneys by school? Obviously there are laterals and people leave at different times in their careers, but it would certainly be a quick and dirty way to spot a particular preference for one school over the other...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”