Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results/Call Backs thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results/Call Backs thread

Postby D-hops » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:12 am

Lottery results come out tomorrow. Post number of interviews, where you bid the firms, and any other information that might be useful, for posterity.

EDIT: Now that OCI is started we can anonymously post who is giving callbacks.

[/url]
Last edited by D-hops on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby traehekat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:49 am

Until then, what do you guys plan to do with the firms you don't receive interviews with? I've heard dropping by the hospitality suites and dropping off your resume is a good idea, but not every firm has one (at least from what I can tell). I'm thinking just email the recruiter with your resume, cover letter, and copy of transcript and explain that you were unable to get an interview with them through lottery but you would still like to interview with them. Does that sound like it will be in any way more fruitful than just a normal mass mail?

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:51 am

traehekat wrote:Until then, what do you guys plan to do with the firms you don't receive interviews with? I've heard dropping by the hospitality suites and dropping off your resume is a good idea, but not every firm has one (at least from what I can tell). Just email the recruiter with your resume, cover letter, and copy of transcript and explain that you were unable to get an interview with them through lottery but you would still like to interview with them?


Do it because, really, what can it hurt? Will it always work? Probably not, but it is definitely worth a shot.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby traehekat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:33 pm

bjsesq wrote:
traehekat wrote:Until then, what do you guys plan to do with the firms you don't receive interviews with? I've heard dropping by the hospitality suites and dropping off your resume is a good idea, but not every firm has one (at least from what I can tell). Just email the recruiter with your resume, cover letter, and copy of transcript and explain that you were unable to get an interview with them through lottery but you would still like to interview with them?


Do it because, really, what can it hurt? Will it always work? Probably not, but it is definitely worth a shot.


Yeah, that's what I figured.

I hear people at UVA who bid all/mostly NYC in an attempt to take advantage of better hiring got screwed because NYC was grossly overbid. Anyone think something similar will happen at NU? Granted we have more of a home market than UVA, but still, I'm feeling somewhat better I decided against bidding NYC.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby D-hops » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:45 pm

traehekat wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
traehekat wrote:Until then, what do you guys plan to do with the firms you don't receive interviews with? I've heard dropping by the hospitality suites and dropping off your resume is a good idea, but not every firm has one (at least from what I can tell). Just email the recruiter with your resume, cover letter, and copy of transcript and explain that you were unable to get an interview with them through lottery but you would still like to interview with them?


Do it because, really, what can it hurt? Will it always work? Probably not, but it is definitely worth a shot.


Yeah, that's what I figured.

I hear people at UVA who bid all/mostly NYC in an attempt to take advantage of better hiring got screwed because NYC was grossly overbid. Anyone think something similar will happen at NU? Granted we have more of a home market than UVA, but still, I'm feeling somewhat better I decided against bidding NYC.


I don't think OCS has been giving everyone the "you must bid NYC or die" speech that a lot of other schools have been getting. So I don't know how bad NYC bidding will be at NU.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:46 pm

D-hops wrote:
traehekat wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
traehekat wrote:Until then, what do you guys plan to do with the firms you don't receive interviews with? I've heard dropping by the hospitality suites and dropping off your resume is a good idea, but not every firm has one (at least from what I can tell). Just email the recruiter with your resume, cover letter, and copy of transcript and explain that you were unable to get an interview with them through lottery but you would still like to interview with them?


Do it because, really, what can it hurt? Will it always work? Probably not, but it is definitely worth a shot.


Yeah, that's what I figured.

I hear people at UVA who bid all/mostly NYC in an attempt to take advantage of better hiring got screwed because NYC was grossly overbid. Anyone think something similar will happen at NU? Granted we have more of a home market than UVA, but still, I'm feeling somewhat better I decided against bidding NYC.


I don't think OCS has been giving everyone the "you must bid NYC or die" speech that a lot of other schools have been getting. So I don't know how bad NYC bidding will be at NU.


Well, that, and the large number of people in our class from the west coast.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby traehekat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:55 pm

D-hops wrote:
traehekat wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
traehekat wrote:Until then, what do you guys plan to do with the firms you don't receive interviews with? I've heard dropping by the hospitality suites and dropping off your resume is a good idea, but not every firm has one (at least from what I can tell). Just email the recruiter with your resume, cover letter, and copy of transcript and explain that you were unable to get an interview with them through lottery but you would still like to interview with them?


Do it because, really, what can it hurt? Will it always work? Probably not, but it is definitely worth a shot.


Yeah, that's what I figured.

I hear people at UVA who bid all/mostly NYC in an attempt to take advantage of better hiring got screwed because NYC was grossly overbid. Anyone think something similar will happen at NU? Granted we have more of a home market than UVA, but still, I'm feeling somewhat better I decided against bidding NYC.


I don't think OCS has been giving everyone the "you must bid NYC or die" speech that a lot of other schools have been getting. So I don't know how bad NYC bidding will be at NU.


Yeah I received the opposite advice, that's for sure.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby D-hops » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:00 pm

traehekat wrote:
D-hops wrote:
I don't think OCS has been giving everyone the "you must bid NYC or die" speech that a lot of other schools have been getting. So I don't know how bad NYC bidding will be at NU.


Yeah I received the opposite advice, that's for sure.


I have been hearing quite a bit of this which actually doesn't bode well for people focusing on the Chicago market (telling everyone to bid on one market is a good way to cause the UVA OGI Shitstorm to happen). Seems like OCS might be overestimating the jobs in Chicago, or they know things the rest of us don't.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:03 pm

D-hops wrote:
traehekat wrote:
D-hops wrote:
I don't think OCS has been giving everyone the "you must bid NYC or die" speech that a lot of other schools have been getting. So I don't know how bad NYC bidding will be at NU.


Yeah I received the opposite advice, that's for sure.


I have been hearing quite a bit of this which actually doesn't bode well for people focusing on the Chicago market (telling everyone to bid on one market is a good way to cause the UVA OGI Shitstorm to happen). Seems like OCS might be overestimating the jobs in Chicago, or they know things the rest of us don't.


I've actually been surprised by the number of people focusing west coast. Admittedly, there are a ton focusing on Chicago, but that is to be expected, right?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby traehekat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:04 pm

D-hops wrote:
traehekat wrote:
D-hops wrote:
I don't think OCS has been giving everyone the "you must bid NYC or die" speech that a lot of other schools have been getting. So I don't know how bad NYC bidding will be at NU.


Yeah I received the opposite advice, that's for sure.


I have been hearing quite a bit of this which actually doesn't bode well for people focusing on the Chicago market (telling everyone to bid on one market is a good way to cause the UVA OGI Shitstorm to happen). Seems like OCS might be overestimating the jobs in Chicago, or they know things the rest of us don't.


well, i was told if i actually WANTED to work in NYC it would be a different story, rather than i just want a job and that is where most of them happen to be right now. so yeah, i wasn't given any blanket statement like "dont bid nyc" or anything, it just didnt make sense for me (which i agree with, but i was still worried about bidding all chicago). apparently there are a good 40 or 50 people at NU every year who bid all NYC tho, so hopefully chicago wont be too overbid or anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273231
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:13 pm

I was told to bid Chicago, but that's because my resume screams "LITIGATION IN CHICAGO!" My alum mock interviewer actually told me the same thing.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby rayiner » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:14 pm

While UVA's pre-select situation is a bit scary, do remember that once you get a pre-select there, you've got a pretty decent chance of getting a callback. At NU everyone will get 15-20 interviews, but your chance of getting a callback out of each one will be lower.

Also, as a preemptive matter, realize what is happening at UVA for pre-selects will happen at NU for callbacks. Firms all call back largely the same pool of 3.6-3.7+ people, who end up with 7-10+ callbacks, while everyone else gets 2-4. It's really a huge drop-off rather than a gradual decline. More often than not, however, people will manage to eke an offer out of those few callbacks, so the end result ends up looking decent.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:15 pm

rayiner wrote:While UVA's pre-select situation is a bit scary, do remember that once you get a pre-select there, you've got a pretty decent chance of getting a callback. At NU everyone will get 15-20 interviews, but your chance of getting a callback out of each one will be lower.

Also, as a preemptive matter, realize what is happening at UVA for pre-selects will happen at NU for callbacks. Firms will give most of their callbacks to people with 3.6-3.7+, with the rest of the class getting just a few. It's really a huge drop-off rather than a gradual decline. More often than not, however, people will manage to eke an offer out of those few callbacks, so the end result ends up looking decent.


You should stick around as the resident TLS dad for when people start getting stressed around callback time. 100% serious. We'll likely need your input/reasonableness.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby bk1 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:17 pm

bjsesq wrote:I've actually been surprised by the number of people focusing west coast. Admittedly, there are a ton focusing on Chicago, but that is to be expected, right?


Are that many people really focusing on CA? Everything I've read on TLS makes that out to be a great way to get pwned if you don't have good grades (though maybe less so for LA).

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:18 pm

bk1 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:I've actually been surprised by the number of people focusing west coast. Admittedly, there are a ton focusing on Chicago, but that is to be expected, right?


Are that many people really focusing on CA? Everything I've read on TLS makes that out to be a great way to get pwned if you don't have good grades (though maybe less so for LA).


There are a solid number of people from my section looking to Cali, yeah. I can't attest to other sections, though.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby D-hops » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:20 pm

bjsesq wrote:
bk1 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:I've actually been surprised by the number of people focusing west coast. Admittedly, there are a ton focusing on Chicago, but that is to be expected, right?


Are that many people really focusing on CA? Everything I've read on TLS makes that out to be a great way to get pwned if you don't have good grades (though maybe less so for LA).


There are a solid number of people from my section looking to Cali, yeah. I can't attest to other sections, though.


There is a good bit from mine as well.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:50 pm

A huge percentage of our class is from California, I'm not at all surprised a lot of people are bidding there.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby traehekat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:05 pm

interesting to hear a lot of people are from and focusing on CA, wouldn't have expected that. add the fact at least a decent amount of ppl are prolly looking at nyc and maybe a few focusing on dc, maybe chicago will be a little less competitive.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:07 pm

traehekat wrote:interesting to hear a lot of people are from and focusing on CA, wouldn't have expected that. add the fact at least a decent amount of ppl are prolly looking at nyc and maybe a few focusing on dc, maybe chicago will be a little less competitive.


As much as I'd like to believe that, I really don't. We'll see, I guess.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:12 pm

bjsesq wrote:
traehekat wrote:interesting to hear a lot of people are from and focusing on CA, wouldn't have expected that. add the fact at least a decent amount of ppl are prolly looking at nyc and maybe a few focusing on dc, maybe chicago will be a little less competitive.


As much as I'd like to believe that, I really don't. We'll see, I guess.

I think I bid a grand total of 2 Chi firms.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby traehekat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:16 pm

roughly how many NU students are actually from chicago/midwest anyway?

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:19 pm

traehekat wrote:roughly how many NU students are actually from chicago/midwest anyway?


I don't remember where I saw the info. Let's conservatively say, 50%. 130-150ish? And to behonest, there are plenty of people not from the midwest who would be comfortable working in Chicago. There's just no real way to predict.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby traehekat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:27 pm

bjsesq wrote:
traehekat wrote:roughly how many NU students are actually from chicago/midwest anyway?


I don't remember where I saw the info. Let's conservatively say, 50%. 130-150ish? And to behonest, there are plenty of people not from the midwest who would be comfortable working in Chicago. There's just no real way to predict.


ya ya im sure. like you said, we'll have to see what happens.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby D-hops » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:31 pm

traehekat wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
traehekat wrote:roughly how many NU students are actually from chicago/midwest anyway?


I don't remember where I saw the info. Let's conservatively say, 50%. 130-150ish? And to behonest, there are plenty of people not from the midwest who would be comfortable working in Chicago. There's just no real way to predict.


ya ya im sure. like you said, we'll have to see what happens.


Actually it is more like a quarter of the class. Both the northeast and the west are higher percentages than the midwest.


Image

Chart is from the admissions website.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:51 pm

D-hops wrote:Actually it is more like a quarter of the class. Both the northeast and the west are higher percentages than the midwest.


Lokks like I was FAR too conservative.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.