Latest date one can 3L mass mail? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Latest date one can 3L mass mail?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:23 pm

If possible, I would like to wait to hear if I got an offer from my summer firm before I go through the painstaking process of applying to firms again. What is the latest date at which 3Ls can send out resumes/cover letters etc and still be seriously considered for a position? Is mid august too late?

Dman

Bronze

Re: Latest date one can 3L mass mail?

Post by Dman » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:21 pm

I sent out a bunch of mailngs this month and had several large firms reply asking for me to resend in January. Hard to gauge right time, but the sense I am getting is most firms are focused on hiring thier 2L class atm.

I am not saying to wait till later, just trying to add perspective.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:21 pm

Why the hell would you wait? There is no benefit.

3Ls can and do mass mail all throughout 3L year, after graduating, after the bar, and after months of being an unemployed law grad. But employers are already starting to make hiring decisions, so I don't know what the fuck you think you're waiting for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:27 pm

OP here: I thought I conveyed my reason for waiting in my first post. I would rather wait until after offers come out for my 2L summer firm. So can you just tell me if the disadvantage is significant if i wait until mid august?

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:45 pm

I think the answer depends a lot on circumstances.

For example, if you're at a V10 with V10 credentials, if you're applying to clerk, if you're in NY where there's comparatively more Big Law offers, and if your firm generally offers 100% of the class, no worries. But if you just eked into an SA position at a firm that has only been offering 60% of the class, etc., start mailing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”