No Journals, Am I Screwed?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No Journals, Am I Screwed?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:00 am

Top 10% at a T25 but failed to make any journal. How fucked am I for OCI? How should I handle it?

I will be continuing to work part time at a gov internship during next year and that will give me good legal experience. Do I need to do Moot court? It sounds like hell.

blahhhhhhhhhhhh

thesealocust

Re: No Journals, Am I Screwed?

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:02 am

It's really not a major factor. You want to go into OCI with as few blemishes as possible, but it's not make or break. Just be sure to have other things to be able to discuss as activities so it won't seem like you're boring or 1 dimensional.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:39 am

Thanks, I hope so. Do I need moot or will my internship be enough? Should it change how I go about OCI/massmailing/etc at all?

ps, given recent interactions with thesealocust, I'd like to nominate him for a "most helpful TLSer" award.

Bobby Dazzler

Postby Bobby Dazzler » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:given recent interactions with thesealocust, I'd like to nominate him for a "most helpful TLSer" award.

Second

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:45 am

Bobby Dazzler wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:given recent interactions with thesealocust, I'd like to nominate him for a "most helpful TLSer" award.

Second

He's definitely been one of the consistently most helpful posters for awhile. He deserves to share the award though with XxSpyKEx and G.T.L. Rev, at least for employment stuff.

goody687

Postby goody687 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:46 am

I'm just finishing up my summer associate program at a major firm. I am at a top 25, was in the top 10%, and missed out on all the journals. Some people will care about not being on a journal, most will not. Honestly, the firms really just care about grades and personality. Network like crazy, apply to as many firms as you can, and you should be fine.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:47 am

+1 to what goody687 wrote.

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks, I hope so. Do I need moot or will my internship be enough? Should it change how I go about OCI/massmailing/etc at all?

It definitely won't change your strategy. Your internship is likely to be enough to not make it stand out, and you don't win points for stacking as many resume line items as possible, but also doing moot court wouldn't be a bad thing. Don't do it if you don't want to.

Extracurriculars only matter at the margins, but it's important not to give the impression that you're unengaged in law school or lazy. A club or two + the internship would probably do that, as would moot court + the internship, but it's not a hard science.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:01 am

Thank you! Here's to hoping....

Anyone else want to weigh in? I'm certainly inclined to believe sealocust and goody.

Return to “Legal Employment”