what happens when you get laid off Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
senorhosh

Bronze

what happens when you get laid off

Post by senorhosh » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:45 am

A friend of mine has a brother who went to T14 law school. He got a biglaw job but due to downsizing (i think) he got laid off after a year.

What happens when you get laid off from a biglaw job (due to no fault of your own) and you work there for only a year (or less)?
Since companies don't hire third years, I'm guessing they won't be willing to hire graduates...?

boaltrising3l

New

Re: what happens when you get laid off

Post by boaltrising3l » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:53 am

The average first year associate has almost no marketable skills and biglaw is almost certainly out. I know a lot of people who got LaTTTham'ed after around 6 months. Most never recovered and are currently working temp/doc review jobs. If this happens to you, you're screwed.

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:46 am

boalt you dont know anybody

bigtttymer

New

Post by bigtttymer » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:20 am

why don't you ask the thousands of people who this happened to in 2009 who are still out of work.

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:45 am

bigtttymer wrote:why don't you ask the thousands of people who this happened to in 2009 who are still out of work.
They are prob too busy drafting cover letters for firms in Nebraska like Emory's grads were told to do

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”