PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bk1

Diamond

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Post by bk1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:07 pm

A'nold wrote:I am the first person to congratulate somebody up and down for even the tiniest personal accomplishments.
I know you're older (not sure by how much) but this seems so millenial. It also seems like the exact opposite of all of TLS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:08 pm

A'nold wrote:
Rurik wrote:
swc65 wrote: Great argument technique. Calling people names and writing "eff-you" really drives the point home and makes people respect your opinions. Your anonymous post (while revealing no personal information that needs to be hidden) does not come across as vile and filled with hatred at all. :roll:
I apologize. I just get very aggravated with how socially inept and oblivious some people are. Then again, if somebody still hasn't grasped why they shouldn't do stuff like posting about law review offers on Facebook, they are far too gone to talk common sense into. So my rant probably is wasted.
Guy, I am about the least socially oblivious person you could ever meet. I can spot socially oblivious people a mile away. Trust me, with your comment just now I can tell that you are an overly sensitive, overly PC person that has his/her own social problems to deal with.

The sad thing about this thread is that it shows me how people really think about accomplishments, etc. I want to share with people and help them. I am the first person to congratulate somebody up and down for even the tiniest personal accomplishments. That most of you take the cynical view that these people are just rubbing your nose in their success goes to show what you would want to do in the same situation. Either that or many of you have SERIOUS inferiority complexes about your ls performances thus far. Most of these bragging bastards that you talk about are probably decent human beings and you guys have built up this bitter, jealous castle in your heads where everyone is looking down on you. Might be time to breathe and take in some perspective.
Half the people ITT coming out against oversharing on FB have top grades.

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:09 pm

A'nold wrote:
Rurik wrote:
swc65 wrote: Great argument technique. Calling people names and writing "eff-you" really drives the point home and makes people respect your opinions. Your anonymous post (while revealing no personal information that needs to be hidden) does not come across as vile and filled with hatred at all. :roll:
I apologize. I just get very aggravated with how socially inept and oblivious some people are. Then again, if somebody still hasn't grasped why they shouldn't do stuff like posting about law review offers on Facebook, they are far too gone to talk common sense into. So my rant probably is wasted.
Guy, I am about the least socially oblivious person you could ever meet. I can spot socially oblivious people a mile away. Trust me, with your comment just now I can tell that you are an overly sensitive, overly PC person that has his/her own social problems to deal with.

The sad thing about this thread is that it shows me how people really think about accomplishments, etc. I want to share with people and help them. I am the first person to congratulate somebody up and down for even the tiniest personal accomplishments. That most of you take the cynical view that these people are just rubbing your nose in their success goes to show what you would want to do in the same situation. Either that or many of you have SERIOUS inferiority complexes about your ls performances thus far. Most of these bragging bastards that you talk about are probably decent human beings and you guys have built up this bitter, jealous castle in your heads where everyone is looking down on you. Might be time to breathe and take in some perspective.
It's not a question about rubbing someone's nose in something. It's about being conscious of the fact that their successes may not match yours. You'll tell them and they'll feel awkward because they will know they should be happy for you but in some way your success is at least partly tied to their failure, even if it's just that there was one fewer spot left for them.

You know how you have to pretend to be excited when you open that Christmas gift that you really hate? Trying to be excited for your LR friends when you didn't get it is much worse. I'm not saying it's right, but it's the way law school is. So don't put your friends in a situation where they will feel bad about themselves because they can't bring themselves to be genuinely happy for you. Just don't bring it up. They'll find out you made law review in their own time and when they find out, they'll congratulate you - on their own timeline and terms. And if they don't, let it go.
Last edited by Aston2412 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:09 pm

bjsesq wrote: Or you could realize that, despite their "insecurity" or "bitterness," your classmates don't deserve to be hurt by your incessant need to brag. Get over yourself.
In before socially conscious psychoanalysis as to why you feel that way.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:10 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A'nold wrote:It pisses me off that even my wife can't post about an award I just got or something like that b/c oh noes! someone at my school might see it! :shock:
Yeah, it must be very annoying when the necessity to show modicum of grace gets in the way of your self-aggrandisement.
Man you're a bitter, sad person Dres. I feel bad for you. I say this with all sincerity. For like over a year now I've been graceful and pleasant to you and you just keep jabbing me with these little remarks. I know you are friends with all of the mods and say whatever the hell you want to people, but some of us on here can see you for who you are. I hope you get over yourself one day and show people the respect and kindness they deserve.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Half the people ITT coming out against oversharing on FB have top grades.
Yeah, charges of bitterness are particularly funny given the credentials of OP himself./stops here to avoid outing sealocust.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:11 pm

bjsesq wrote: Or you could realize that, despite their "insecurity" or "bitterness," your classmates don't deserve to be hurt by your incessant need to brag. Get over yourself.
Or you could realize, like A'nold has, that your classmates are inferior in their emotional maturity and seriously, fuck those guys.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:12 pm

dresden doll wrote:
I actually think it's silly to be hurt by someone else's success. That doesn't mean that because I think it's silly, others aren't still hurt by it. So, in an attempt to not be a shitty human being, I don't talk about it openly.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:14 pm

A'nold wrote: Man you're a bitter, sad person Dres. I feel bad for you. I say this with all sincerity. For like over a year now I've been graceful and pleasant to you and you just keep jabbing me with these little remarks. I know you are friends with all of the mods and say whatever the hell you want to people, but some of us on here can see you for who you are. I hope you get over yourself one day and show people the respect and kindness they deserve.
Dooder, the last time I clashed with you, you began by randomly attacking me and thereby forced vanwinkle to delete the entire exchange. As an aside, I don't show kindness and respect to passive aggressive posters who respond with inane psychoanalysis to any post that frankly calls them out on their flaws.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:15 pm

A'nold wrote:Man you're a bitter, sad person Dres. I feel bad for you. I say this with all sincerity. For like over a year now I've been graceful and pleasant to you and you just keep jabbing me with these little remarks. I know you are friends with all of the mods and say whatever the hell you want to people, but some of us on here can see you for who you are. I hope you get over yourself one day and show people the respect and kindness they deserve.
Dude, think about this part right here in the context of this thread. Fucking seriously.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:16 pm

bjsesq wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
I actually think it's silly to be hurt by someone else's success. That doesn't mean that because I think it's silly, others aren't still hurt by it. So, in an attempt to not be a shitty human being, I don't talk about it openly.
I agree with this. And if this was a normative discussion rather than a positive one, I imagine that a lot of us would have different views. Unfortunately, some can't avoid acting in a manner that relies upon how he feels others should act or feel rather than how they actually act or feel.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:17 pm

A'rnold you shouldn't brag because top 15% at a TTT still sucks brah.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Or you could realize, like A'nold has, that your classmates are inferior in their emotional maturity and seriously, fuck those guys.
Yep, b/c that's how I act IRL. :roll:

I don't even friend law students for the most part b/c of the drama that comes with law school. What saddens me is how damn jealous and insecure law students really are. Yeah, I'm a little too optimistic and naive about how I think people are I guess. I'd rather be that way than cynical. Like I said before, I'd never post anything relating to my successes in ls but I would not think one of my ls friends a douche for doing so if I think he/she is a generally good person. I am in the obvious minority here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:20 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
I agree with this. And if this was a normative discussion rather than a positive one, I imagine that a lot of us would have different views. Unfortunately, some can't avoid acting in a manner that relies upon how he feels others should act or feel rather than how they actually act or feel.
Well, of course. I have a number of LS friends who were quite successful and I'm glad for their success. But in addition to being happy about their success, I'm also happy they were decent enough to refrain from letting the world know about their Contracts grade via FB updates.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:20 pm

paratactical wrote:
A'nold wrote:Dude, would you have a problem with her calling up my in-laws and telling them? She just uses facebook instead of calling 10 individuals......why is that so weird?
Isn't this what the group feature is for?
Seriously, though. If you want to brag to family and friends not in law school, why not make a separate feed for them and just update that one with "Hoorah! Good grades!" or whatever?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:21 pm

A'nold wrote:Yeah, I'm a little too optimistic and naive about how I think people are I guess. I'd rather be that way than cynical.
Or you could just be, you know, realistic.

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:21 pm

A'nold wrote: What saddens me is how damn jealous and insecure law students really are.
Every slight failure in law school is directly proportionate to a reduction in the availability of well-paying jobs at graduation. Not to mention the majority of law students are taking on debt to pay for their education - some even huge amounts of it. And you wonder why they're insecure?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:23 pm

Desert Fox wrote:A'rnold you shouldn't brag because top 15% at a TTT still sucks brah.
Did I say I was top 15% at my current school? Regardless, this proves my point. I am 0% jealous of t14 type students or look down on t4 students......is today backwards day around here?

Dresden- you obviously have your own opinions about me. Good for you. Why is it that most people on here do not feel the same way? You have no room to talk about being courteous to people the way to attack good people on here just b/c they go to lower ranked schools. For anyone not familiar with the way Dresden treats those she deems beneath her, see the "congrats A'nold" thread in the transfer section. What a great person.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:26 pm

A'nold wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:A'rnold you shouldn't brag because top 15% at a TTT still sucks brah.
Did I say I was top 15% at my current school? Regardless, this proves my point. I am 0% jealous of t14 type students or look down on t4 students......is today backwards day around here?

Dresden- you obviously have your own opinions about me. Good for you. Why is it that most people on here do not feel the same way? You have no room to talk about being courteous to people the way to attack good people on here just b/c they go to lower ranked schools. For anyone not familiar with the way Dresden treats those she deems beneath her, see the "congrats A'nold" thread in the transfer section. What a great person.
I've no idea how this ramble in any way relates to the topic of this thread. BTW, you don't seem to be leaving a great impression of yourself ITT, and you're doing that entirely without my assistance.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:26 pm

f7u12 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
This.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:27 pm

paratactical wrote:
paratactical wrote:
A'nold wrote:Dude, would you have a problem with her calling up my in-laws and telling them? She just uses facebook instead of calling 10 individuals......why is that so weird?
Isn't this what the group feature is for?
Seriously, though. If you want to brag to family and friends not in law school, why not make a separate feed for them and just update that one with "Hoorah! Good grades!" or whatever?
But that would defeat the purpose, which is to let your classmates know how awesome you are.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:28 pm

All I'm saying is you should at least qualify for a dla piper screener interview before you make other people feel like shit.

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:32 pm

Shit threads like this are exactly why I have two facebook pages.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:34 pm

f7u12 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:All I'm saying is you should at least qualify for a DLA Piper screener interview before you make other people feel like shit.
DF keeping it real may be my favorite thing about TLS.
Agreed.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:19 pm

A'nold wrote: Credited. Note that the stance I am taking on this thread right now is especially hilarious b/c I suffer from being far too humble and have been told since I was a child to actually take some pride in my accomplishments. It's a hard thing to do. If you have to try not to be an arrogant douche, chances are you are an arrogant douche and that's just who you are. No one will like you regardless.
Yeah, sorry I gotta call bullshit on that, not just on your posts in this thread (which would be enough alone), but also because of the fact that since I started reading these boards I think I've seen you mention around ten different times that you won an award for writing the best brief in your state for legal writing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”