lower tier 1-where to bid? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stormy

New

lower tier 1-where to bid?

Post by stormy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:07 pm

top 25% at lower tier 1--where do i have a shot?

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Re: lower tier 1-where to bid?

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:13 pm

Need way more details.

stormy

New

Post by stormy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:22 pm

school 40-50
just want to know where i have a shot at actually landing a job

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:25 pm

How are people supposed to know what firms/orgs even come to your OCI?

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:29 pm

bk187 wrote:How are people supposed to know what firms/orgs even come to your OCI?
Eh, at top 25% I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Scenario 1- Your school uses pre-select, rendering your question completely worthless. Use grapeshot and interview with anyone who will look at you if this is the case.

Scenario 2- Lottery/pre-select hybrid-The above logic still applies for the most part. Bid those firms highly which are smaller/mid-sized. It is an almost certainty you aren't getting biglaw, so you might as well shoot for the non-Nalp firms who might actually hire you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stormy

New

Post by stormy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:31 pm

there's not too many firms coming to oci-I counted maybe 50 or 60 altogether. I am planning to just send out cold resumes-which firms do I have a shot out (just sending cold resumes)?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:41 pm

stormy wrote:there's not too many firms coming to oci-I counted maybe 50 or 60 altogether. I am planning to just send out cold resumes-which firms do I have a shot out (just sending cold resumes)?
I would say the best bets are firms outside the V100 in your region that still pay decently. I have no idea what city you are in so I'd say NALP the city you are in or any nearby surrounding cities, find some firms that pay something you'd find reasonable and do your type of practice and send out resume, cover letter, writing sample, and transcripts ASAP. It is probably worth sending in your materials to BigLaw lower-V100 firms in your area and hoping to nab a screening interview and go from there as well.

Beyond that, I think it would be hard to break into most of the bigger markets if you aren't already in the region (i.e. you don't have a chance at BigLaw in D.C., S.F., Chicago, or L.A. unless you are in the region, and you probably don't have a great shot at midlaw firms that aren't in your region either). You might look for some lower-paying (as in, sub $100k) attorney positions in secondary markets if you have any sort of tie to the area, preferably in markets that don't have better law schools in the area.

Good luck.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:45 pm

stormy wrote:there's not too many firms coming to oci-I counted maybe 50 or 60 altogether. I am planning to just send out cold resumes-which firms do I have a shot out (just sending cold resumes)?
Still a really silly question. Don't be lazy, send resumes to any firm you're interested in. At higher V firms, see if they have any attorneys from your school and try to contact them for "advice" etc...

stormy

New

Post by stormy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:53 pm

thanks-can I afford to be picky, or take the first offer? I don't know what kind of salary I should expect to make with my grades and am scared i'll take an offer I shouldn't because I could have done better at another firm. So, I guess which firms should I avoid (i.e., I can do better than)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:58 pm

stormy wrote:thanks-can I afford to be picky, or take the first offer? I don't know what kind of salary I should expect to make with my grades and am scared i'll take an offer I shouldn't because I could have done better at another firm. So, I guess which firms should I avoid (i.e., I can do better than)?
You can usually hold an offer open for 28 days, but in your position I would be happy to get *an* offer through OCI so I certainly wouldn't jeopardize an offer in hopes of a better one down the road.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:04 pm

stormy wrote:thanks-can I afford to be picky, or take the first offer? I don't know what kind of salary I should expect to make with my grades and am scared i'll take an offer I shouldn't because I could have done better at another firm. So, I guess which firms should I avoid (i.e., I can do better than)?
Like the other poster said, you've got 28 days to accept an offer from a NALP firm. As far as firms to avoid, again a question we can't really answer for you. Salary matters for sure, but once you start interviews and callbacks you'll have to decide for yourself where you feel comfortable. I could tell you of firms that I had heard were sweatshops, but where I have friends working right now who enjoy the environment.

stormy

New

Post by stormy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:36 pm

you think i'll get interviews and callbacks?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”