Who doesn't have a job? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
liltay357

New

Who doesn't have a job?

Post by liltay357 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:41 pm

Can someone direct me to this thread? I mean it has to exist right? If we cant find anyone's numbers of employment opportunities completely valid how do we know what to believe about the hiring climate right now.Is everyone ultimately finding FT positions? Well post it here. Please save me and other fellow OL's from investing further in a $100,000 mistake. If you cannot find a SA, or FT job post stats here, Callbacks, OCI results!!!!

Thanks!

Cavalier

Gold

Re: Who doesn't have a job?

Post by Cavalier » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:43 pm

The JDU trolls will come in 3... 2... 1...

lawgod

Bronze

Post by lawgod » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:43 pm

Well, what school you goin to?

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:04 pm

Though I'd like to know the answer as well, I think the ? is a little broad. Everyone hashes it out over T2's but 3 of my close friends have graduated from T2's in the past 2 years and all have found good paying jobs, and all had an SA of some sort (1 biglaw, 2 in house at companies in socal). All three were at least top third. hth

boaltrising3l

New

Post by boaltrising3l » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:17 pm

Boalt top 20%, chances of finding a job are pretty grim, but still fervently looking. Theres just not much out there for entry level talent.

O callback info too: 5 cbs, all of which were interviewing around 30 people for 1-3 SA positions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:38 pm

Cavalier wrote:The JDU trolls will come in 3... 2... 1...
I graduated from my TTT law school last May and have not been able to find any job since. I have been applying to fast food restaurants in the area but they won't hire me because they say I am overqualified and will leave for a hotshot corporate law job downtown.

All my friends think I'm a loser, and they can't understand why I'm not on TV, like Matlock. My wife has lost all respect for me; she will regularly get fucked by huge black cocks even while I'm sitting next to her on the sofa. Yesterday, my son spit in my face and called me a "tee-tee-tee loser".

I have been considering going back to school to become a crack whore; it is not the most glamorous job, but demand for CWs has exceeded supply since the ebbing of the crack epidemic a few decades ago. Even thinking about school makes me think of my $600,000 (and rising) debt, which I will never pay off and will pass on to my kids and then my grandkids, who will probably be forced into debt slavery. All I can think about is the .357 in my closet, and how it will make life easier for everyone.

Law schools should be required to report my plight on the "employment statistics" page of their brochures.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:43 pm

flcath wrote:
Cavalier wrote:The JDU trolls will come in 3... 2... 1...
I graduated from my TTT law school last May and have not been able to find any job since. I have been applying to fast food restaurants in the area but they won't hire me because they say I am overqualified and will leave for a hotshot corporate law job downtown.

All my friends think I'm a loser, and they can't understand why I'm not on TV, like Matlock. My wife has lost all respect for me; she will regularly get fucked by huge black cocks even while I'm sitting next to her on the sofa. Yesterday, my son spit in my face and called me a "tee-tee-tee loser".

I have been considering going back to school to become a crack whore; it is not the most glamorous job, but demand for CWs has exceeded supply since the ebbing of the crack epidemic a few decades ago. Even thinking about school makes me think of my $600,000 (and rising) debt, which I will never pay off and will pass on to my kids and then my grandkids, who will probably be forced into debt slavery. All I can think about is the .357 in my closet, and how it will make life easier for everyone.

Law schools should be required to report my plight on the "employment statistics" page of their brochures.

2011Unemployed

New

Post by 2011Unemployed » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:31 pm

So I decided to register in order to chime in on this of all things.

I'm a 2011 Michigan grad with no job. Went through OCI almost dead median, graduated somewhere above 1L curve median but probably a little below class median. It's amazing, and frightening, how quickly one can find his own internal monologue starting to sound like a JDU troll. But when it comes down to it, it doesn't really matter if you graduated from a Third Tier Toilet or a Top Tier Toilet; if you don't have a job, you don't have a job.

Anyhow, you all are welcome to make assumptions about how I must be a social retard, didn't network, expected Career Services to find me a job rather than do it myself, or anything else in order to justify the outcome. They're not true, but go ahead and do so if it makes you feel better. That said, I'd estimate that at least one quarter of the class graduated without a job, so assign such faults to all of them as well. Of course, we'll never know how many it actually is as most of them will take the fellowship that the school offers so that UM can, for statistical purposes, pretend that you are employed.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:45 pm

I just graduated a T2 with a job. The vast majority of people I know don't have jobs. Just as an example, out the graduates of my T2 on my gchat buddy list right now, 9 graduated jobless this year, one has a state clerkship, and one has biglaw. So including me that's only one in four graduating with a job -- not a large enough sample to be representative obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if those are the actual stats; in fact I'd guess they're worse.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iceman12354

New

Post by iceman12354 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:59 pm

No-offered at V100 2L summer, graduated this may, studying for the bar, have a temporary gig lined up with a nonprofit after I graduate. No debt though, so I'm counting my blessings. T14 grad.

boaltrising3l

New

Post by boaltrising3l » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:32 pm

this exactly points to what people do not realize, if you do not get Biglaw even at a top school you have strong odds of graduating unemployed. There's no such thing as 80-100k midlaw either. So basically at OCI if you don't get a job, you will either graduate with no job or one that pays close to what waiters and waitresses make.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:51 pm

To be fair, part of this has to do with when nonprofits (and many other nonbiglaw employers hire.) My nonprofit does hire entry level people, but I won't be a ton of use to them as a newly minted JD prior to bar passage. For the most part, organizations hire closer to the time they'll need the people to start, ie post graduation. This, of course, is not ideal for students, who want to know where they'll be working! There is also, at least in PI, the option of coming up with a fellowship project and getting an organization to sponsor you. If selected, that pays and offers benefits like a full time job and is how some people get started in PI.

I also have heard that smaller firms (those that do take new grads) hire very late in the process. If you are targeting small firms or nonprofits, I can see it being the norm to graduate without a job, unless your 2L summer employer has an opening for you (and knows this sufficiently far in advance.)

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:19 pm

I'd like to play matchmaker:

OP, meet this guy:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=159610

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can someone direct me to this thread? I mean it has to exist right? If we cant find anyone's numbers of employment opportunities completely valid how do we know what to believe about the hiring climate right now.Is everyone ultimately finding FT positions? Well post it here. Please save me and other fellow OL's from investing further in a $100,000 mistake. If you cannot find a SA, or FT job post stats here, Callbacks, OCI results!!!!

Thanks!
Outed and tempbanned for abusing anon feature/posting here as a 0L.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”