Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:13 pm

My CDO insists its a bad idea to mail firms that are already coming to OCI saying its "rude". Was wondering if anyone had experience with this.
I don't agree with the advice and will probably mail because:
a). No guarantee I'll get an interview and if I mail after it's likely too late.
and b). I really doubt that the person interviewing me is going to have checked the database of everyone who mass mailed prior to interviewing (saying it confirms to me that its absurd).

Can anyone explain why it would be a problem to mass mail (especially the popular firms showing up?)

Thanks

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby Renzo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:20 pm

Unless you are an extremely desirable candidate, it's not going to work. And, while I think "rude" is a little strong, I would be annoyed if I were a recruiter and you spammed me before I came to your school. It wouldn't make me want to call you back.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:21 pm

Renzo wrote:Unless you are an extremely desirable candidate, it's not going to work. And, while I think "rude" is a little strong, I would be annoyed if I were a recruiter and you spammed me before I came to your school. It wouldn't make me want to call you back.


+1

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:38 pm

Because they didn't pick you and therefore don't want you. Firms would do zero lottery picks if they could.

Perhaps there will be no harm if you DO get a shot at OCI (but this is by no means guaranteed).

However, if you DO NOT get anything at OCI, whoever you mail your resume to will pick up the envelope and say to themselves "Didn't we go to his/her school?", shortly before depositing your resume in the trash.

So, possible downside? Yes. Upside? None.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:41 pm

Renzo wrote:Unless you are an extremely desirable candidate, it's not going to work. And, while I think "rude" is a little strong, I would be annoyed if I were a recruiter and you spammed me before I came to your school. It wouldn't make me want to call you back.


If they were an extremely desirable candidate, they'd have gotten pre-selected for OCI. There is no benefit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:42 pm

My School has no pre-select... so I'm not sure how any of this rationale applies.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby Renzo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My School has no pre-select... so I'm not sure how any of this rationale applies.


All of the rationale still applies. If you don't get an interview with a firm you really like, drop a resume with them during OCI. If you are an extremely desirable candidate, they'll get you an interview. If not, you might get an interview if someone cancels or they find some extra time. But they aren't going to do anything but be annoyed that you are trying to frustrate the lottery if you try and frustrate the lottery.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:06 pm

Interesting, so you really believe the partner interviewing at OCI actually takes the time to go to the recruiter and ask who applied to the firm in mass mailing?

PeanutHead
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:01 pm

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby PeanutHead » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you don't get an interview with a firm you really like, drop a resume with them during OCI


This is the best way. Stalk the hospitality suite and then appear normal for the 3 minute conversation while dropping your resume off. If you are a high value candidate then it will be as good as an actual interview.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby Renzo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interesting, so you really believe the partner interviewing at OCI actually takes the time to go to the recruiter and ask who applied to the firm in mass mailing?


No. If you get an interview through the lottery, you will have done nothing important by spamming them. All you'll have done is annoyed a recruiter when s/he found a double-copy of your resume.

And, if you don't get an interview through the lottery, you'll have done nothing important by spamming them. All you'll have done is annoyed a recruiter when s/he had to throw away your resume while wondering why you though you were so special that you wouldn't have to go through the lottery process like everyone else.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:18 pm

Absolutely do this. Wait until about two weeks before OCI and send your stuff to the firm and include in your cover letter something to the effect of "I bid on you, did not get you, and am still interested and would like to set up an interview." I'm not quite sure the bizarre thinking that you will appear rude, this is not rude at all. Don't wait for the hospitality suite to drop off your resume, you can do that as well if you want, but email before OCI. I did this and snagged some additional interviews, both at OCI and outside.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby Renzo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Absolutely do this. Wait until about two weeks before OCI and send your stuff to the firm and include in your cover letter something to the effect of "I bid on you, did not get you, and am still interested and would like to set up an interview." I'm not quite sure the bizarre thinking that you will appear rude, this is not rude at all. Don't wait for the hospitality suite to drop off your resume, you can do that as well if you want, but email before OCI. I did this and snagged some additional interviews, both at OCI and outside.


The OP said specifically that they were not talking about waiting until they had an interview schedule and applying to OCI firms they missed out on. That's legitimate. Spamming firms before the interview schedules are set is just an annoyance; it's not like they are going to find room for you in a schedule that doesn't exist, and might potentially already have your name on it.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:33 pm

Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Absolutely do this. Wait until about two weeks before OCI and send your stuff to the firm and include in your cover letter something to the effect of "I bid on you, did not get you, and am still interested and would like to set up an interview." I'm not quite sure the bizarre thinking that you will appear rude, this is not rude at all. Don't wait for the hospitality suite to drop off your resume, you can do that as well if you want, but email before OCI. I did this and snagged some additional interviews, both at OCI and outside.


The OP said specifically that they were not talking about waiting until they had an interview schedule and applying to OCI firms they missed out on. That's legitimate. Spamming firms before the interview schedules are set is just an annoyance; it's not like they are going to find room for you in a schedule that doesn't exist, and might potentially already have your name on it.


I've not gone through OCI yet, but I think these two posts perfectly sum up what the OP should do. Submit bids. Wait. Don't Spam. Then for firms where you don't get an interview, you may want to send in a targeted cover letter & resume (though in all likelihood it will still come to nothin').

but randomly mass mailing before the schedule has come out is a terrible idea.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:00 am

A friend of mine mailed a firm that was coming to OCI sometime in early July, long before the OCI interview selections...long story short he was one of the few people I knew who got to do OCI offer already in hand. The reason your schools CS office tells you not to do it is because they do not want a rush of all their students applying pre-oci.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby Renzo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:A friend of mine mailed a firm that was coming to OCI sometime in early July, long before the OCI interview selections...long story short he was one of the few people I knew who got to do OCI offer already in hand. The reason your schools CS office tells you not to do it is because they do not want a rush of all their students applying pre-oci.


A friend of mine did it and got hit by lightning a week later. So the reason OCS doesn't want you to do it is because it angers the gods.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:24 pm

This is the problem with most OCS offices... they advise you based on what is best for the schools reputation and not for your personal job prospects. There's absolutely no downside to double applying. The partner is not going to be aware and the recruiter does not memorize everyone's name who did a mass mailing.

It would compromise the schools lottery system if everyone mass mailed the firms coming to OCI, but guess what, firms want the best students not the ones who ended up getting on their interview list by chance, they don't like the lottery either.

The only downside of this is to your school's reputation, which I am not sympathetic to as my school is not 200k in debt.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby Renzo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It would compromise the schools lottery system if everyone mass mailed the firms coming to OCI, but guess what, firms want the best students not the ones who ended up getting on their interview list by chance, they don't like the lottery either.

The only downside of this is to your school's reputation, which I am not sympathetic to as my school is not 200k in debt.


This assumes that the mass mailer is one of "the best students" and that they firm will feel like they really missed out if they don't get a shot at the person. Otherwise, the firm is only annoyed by mass-mailers (although, as you say, no one will really notice), and undermining the lottery actually hurts the mass-mailer.

cornellbeez
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:43 am

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby cornellbeez » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:13 pm

Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It would compromise the schools lottery system if everyone mass mailed the firms coming to OCI, but guess what, firms want the best students not the ones who ended up getting on their interview list by chance, they don't like the lottery either.

The only downside of this is to your school's reputation, which I am not sympathetic to as my school is not 200k in debt.


This assumes that the mass mailer is one of "the best students" and that they firm will feel like they really missed out if they don't get a shot at the person. Otherwise, the firm is only annoyed by mass-mailers (although, as you say, no one will really notice), and undermining the lottery actually hurts the mass-mailer.


This. If you are one of the best students, or you have connections with the firm, mail them ahead of time. If not, it's not going to work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:38 pm

Does anyone know this first hand...

What happens when you mass mail firms your resume?

Do they keep it? Create a file? Throw it out? Hit delete?

Anyone have any REAL info???

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know this first hand...

What happens when you mass mail firms your resume?

Do they keep it? Create a file? Throw it out? Hit delete?

Anyone have any REAL info???


What kind of question is this? They receive your material, review it, decide whether or not to give you an interview, and inform you of your choice. The fuck were you expecting them to do, add it to their fuel pile for the smoke signals the use to warn of British invasion?

midwestls
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:46 am

Re: Mass Mailing Firms Coming to OCI

Postby midwestls » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A friend of mine mailed a firm that was coming to OCI sometime in early July, long before the OCI interview selections...long story short he was one of the few people I knew who got to do OCI offer already in hand. The reason your schools CS office tells you not to do it is because they do not want a rush of all their students applying pre-oci.


This. I had a three or four callbacks completed and an offer in hand before my school even began OCI.

If you target firms that typically hire from your schools/region, and you present a compelling case on paper, you absolutely should do a July mailing IMO.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.