Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Would you wear the watch?

Yes, this isn't a big deal
35
39%
Yes, if you truly feel most comfortable with it on
20
22%
No, you would come off like a douchebag
14
16%
No, it's not worth the risk
16
18%
50-50
4
4%
 
Total votes: 89

Anonymous User
Posts: 273570
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:44 pm

Hypothetical:

You own a very nice, high end watch (one with a cost of $15k+). It is your nicest watch and your favorite. It is not "blinged" out and has no diamonds on it, it is just a very high end brand. Most people wouldn't think it was more than a $100 Macy's watch unless they were truly a watch connoisseur. However, the model of the watch is very distinctive and would be easily recognizable to the untrained eye (think a Patek Phillipe Calatrava or an AP Royal Oak).

Your second favorite watch is pretty nice as well but nothing 'special.'

You are a young attorney who has worked for 2-3 years in house and have the opportunity to interview for an opening in a biglaw office as a lateral (despite how implausible this sounds, assume there is a decent chance of getting the position).

You feel most comfortable with the "expensive" watch on your wrist and you actually wear it more frequently than the "not special" watch. Would you wear the "expensive watch" to the interview.

Pros: You really are into watches and it would give you something to talk about if one of the interviewers noticed the watch.
Cons: You may come off looking like a douchebag, having a more expensive watch than the attorneys that will be interviewing you.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Wearing an Expenisve Watch During an Interview

Postby fatduck » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:45 pm

Wearing an Expenisve Watch During an Interview

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Wearing an Expenisve Watch During an Interview

Postby Sentry » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:51 pm

fatduck wrote:Wearing an Expenisve Watch During an Interview

freudian slipenis?

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2397
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby nealric » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:53 pm

I would have to say it's not a good idea. The chances of someone being off-put are higher than someone being positively disposed. I've never seen a partner wear a 15k watch at my firm. While I'm not a consummate watch expert, I can identify the very high-end brands as such.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby fatduck » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:54 pm

the real question is: why post anonymously when you just want to brag about your expensive watch?

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby dood » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:57 pm

fatduck wrote:the real question is: why post anonymously when you just want to brag about your expensive watch?


seriously. and while u'r at it, poast a picture. no one is going to out u based on ur fake rolex from chinatown.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:07 am

I don't like APs so don't wear it.

Aston2412
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:29 am

Assuming this is a real question, wear it.

Why?

Because 1) no one's going to notice, 2) if someone notices, no one is going to care, 3) if someone cares it's not going to come up, 4) if it does come up you can make up some story about how your entrepreneurial grandfather (class rags to riches story) gave it to you the day you graduated high school and said, "Young whippersnapper, the most important thing in business and in love is being on time. We don't have a lot of it, so it's best not to waste it!" and how you've never been late for anything since. Also, you'll have to say that your grandfather is dead. If they ask where he worked, make up a town in Wyoming. If they ask what he did, make up a sappy story about how he was a lowly carpenter that started his own furniture company which grew into a construction company and he built basically every building in the fictional town.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:31 am

#humblebrag

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13659
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:34 am

Should you wear your watch worth more than probably most people's cars to a job interview?

Sounds like your question belongs here (LinkRemoved)

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4862
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby Borhas » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:01 am

wear it then sell it

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby drdolittle » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:57 am

There's no excuse here for not giving details like the exact name/model and/or a pic, especially when posting anon. A horrible example of anon posting all around.

User avatar
omninode
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby omninode » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hypothetical:

You own a very nice, high end watch (one with a cost of $15k+). It is your nicest watch and your favorite. It is not "blinged" out and has no diamonds on it, it is just a very high end brand. Most people wouldn't think it was more than a $100 Macy's watch unless they were truly a watch connoisseur. However, the model of the watch is very distinctive and would be easily recognizable to the untrained eye (think a Patek Phillipe Calatrava or an AP Royal Oak).

Your second favorite watch is pretty nice as well but nothing 'special.'

You are a young attorney who has worked for 2-3 years in house and have the opportunity to interview for an opening in a biglaw office as a lateral (despite how implausible this sounds, assume there is a decent chance of getting the position).

You feel most comfortable with the "expensive" watch on your wrist and you actually wear it more frequently than the "not special" watch. Would you wear the "expensive watch" to the interview.

Pros: You really are into watches and it would give you something to talk about if one of the interviewers noticed the watch.
Cons: You may come off looking like a douchebag, having a more expensive watch than the attorneys that will be interviewing you.


I am an asshole.



Fixed that for you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273570
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:31 am

drdolittle wrote:There's no excuse here for not giving details like the exact name/model and/or a pic, especially when posting anon. A horrible example of anon posting all around.


I'm assuming 0L since you were not able to deduce that stating the model would pretty much out me if one of the attorneys from the firm I am interviewing with ever came upon this thread. The likelihood of another attorney matching the information I had given would have the exact model watch that I was describing.

So, in short, there was an excuse for not giving details.

rad law wrote:I don't like APs so don't wear it.

Plus, I kind of gave it away in the description when I stated that the model was very distinctive and referenced the AP Roal Oak. At least some people were quick enough to come to that conclusion.

nealric wrote:I would have to say it's not a good idea. The chances of someone being off-put are higher than someone being positively disposed. I've never seen a partner wear a 15k watch at my firm. While I'm not a consummate watch expert, I can identify the very high-end brands as such.


I have seen many partners wearing such watches (and even some law professors) although I have a keen eye for such things. However, I already had the same inclination as you about the chances of someone being put-off tipping the scales away from wearing it.

FeelTheHeat wrote:#humblebrag

Not what I intended, but I found that somewhat amusing.

Anyways, the watch is an AP Royal Oak Offshore similar to the image below
--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:45 am

Sorry, but nobody cares, broski. Wear it. If you don't get an offer (prob for reasons other than your watch), then sell it to pay for loanz.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:46 am

rad law wrote:I don't like APs so don't wear it.

User avatar
ElvisAaron
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby ElvisAaron » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:49 am

I am a watch enthusiast. I have a Rolex Sub and a Hublot BB, and I always wear one or the other to work and especially to meet with clients. Those that don't know what the watch is don't give a fuck, and when someone does know I find that it often acts as a good side-conversation piece for bonding.
I learned early in my career that the wealthy will treat you with more respect if they have reason to assume that you are in their league. The caveat here is that I am older (30), and certain things make it clear that I have earned my success. No ones going to think daddy gave me a $15k watch.
Yes a 20 year old with an AP would likely come off like a spoiled douche, but you have had a few years in so I assume you're late 20's, I think you're fine. Wear it.

seriouslyinformative
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby seriouslyinformative » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:19 am

I can never quite understand how it's so difficult for a law student just to be normal. There's always something: Can I wear cufflinks? Can I wear a Rolex? Can I carry an expensive handbag? Why aren't people here content to appear mediocre and just bite the bullet for a few weeks so they can get a job?

Me? I wear my trusty Swiss Army watch. It's professional, dependable, not that expensive, and doesn't draw attention to itself. Really, thats how the rest of your wardrobe should be for OCI.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby dood » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:13 am

this is what u should be wearing u bafoon
--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13659
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:15 am

My cellphone tells me the time and at a fraction of the cost.

Aston2412
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:17 am

dood wrote:this is what u should be wearing u bafoon
--ImageRemoved--


Definitely don't wear that to an interview.

A white rubber watch? Just no.

Leather or metal are really the only thing acceptable with wearing a suit.

If you have to wear a rubber band at least get one in black.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby TTH » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:31 am

I wear my great grandfather's war watch. I have nicer watches, but this one has been in the family for many years. When he got shot down in 'Nam, my dad hid it up his ass for four years so the prison guards wouldn't take it. When my dad died in the camps, his cellmate hid it up his ass for another ten years.


Which was kind of strange because he was only in the camps for another two years after my Dad died until he got sent home. :?

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13659
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:46 am

TTH wrote:I wear my great grandfather's war watch. I have nicer watches, but this one has been in the family for many years. When he got shot down in 'Nam, my dad hid it up his ass for four years so the prison guards wouldn't take it. When my dad died in the camps, his cellmate hid it up his ass for another ten years.


Which was kind of strange because he was only in the camps for another two years after my Dad died until he got sent home. :?

I appreciate this post. a lot.

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby drdolittle » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
drdolittle wrote:There's no excuse here for not giving details like the exact name/model and/or a pic, especially when posting anon. A horrible example of anon posting all around.


I'm assuming 0L since you were not able to deduce that stating the model would pretty much out me if one of the attorneys from the firm I am interviewing with ever came upon this thread. The likelihood of another attorney matching the information I had given would have the exact model watch that I was describing.

So, in short, there was an excuse for not giving details.

Wrong. I understand you thought it would give you away and that's why you posted anon. But a watch in the price range you describe, while still obscenely expensive, is in no way unique enough to really give you away. AP Royal Oaks and the like around that price range are just not special enough to be identifying. Which means that even if an interviewer were to see your watch, recognize exactly what it on your wrist under your suit (unless your're wearing it over cuffs to show off or something), Google it and by some miracle find your posts on TLS instead of other enthusiast pics of it - which of course would dominate the search results - that wouldn't be enough to connect you to it with any certainty. Anyway, glad you finally posted an approximate pic, as I suggested in my post. Thanks for the deduction lesson though.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby Verity » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:57 pm

What kind of a fuckhead doesn't wear an expensive watch?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.