3L Job Prospects- MVP Transfer, approx. Top 5% at new school Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L Job Prospects- MVP Transfer, approx. Top 5% at new school

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:22 pm

So here's the whole story:

Transferred to MVP from a T3. Many V15 firms didn't give me the time of day at OCI but I managed to snag a few offers and ended up accepting at a V40. Fast forward the school year and I've done fairly well - approx. top 5% (maybe 7%? I dunno), no "Basket Weaving" courses and I've taken the whole gamut of Corporations, M&A, Sec. Reg., Antitrust, etc. etc. I've also got a lot of good soft factors and interview talking points (multiple languages, lived in multiple countries, minority). The V40 has a very, very small summer class and every partner I've spoken to has said that the job is mine to lose (in one's words, "You really have to f*** sh** up not to get an offer from us."). I know, I know - never count your eggs before they're hatched. But I'm a few weeks in and so far so good. But here's the rub: I don't like it here as much as I thought I would and, considering my GPA, I want to try my luck with other firms. There are more to my reasons for wanting to move, mainly intra-firm political stuff, but more detail here would risk outing me.

So, here's the deal. What's the 3L job market like? What's the best way to approach V15 firms to interview for a permanent position once I graduate? What are my chances at a Cravath or Skadden-like firm? My worry is that despite my grades, none of the reputable firms will interview me for a permanent position since they'll have filled their quotas with other students from my year.

Anyway, any tips are welcome.

Thanks.

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: 3L Job Prospects- MVP Transfer, approx. Top 5% at new school

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:52 pm

You've got a great shot at 'upgrading' firms if you really want to. Make sure you figure out whether or not you really want to before you do. Do 3L OCI for any firms coming (it's often the big / upper vault firms anyway) and send letters to the rest that don't. Cross fingers and hope. Almost nobody would be in as good a position to maximize on 3L OCI as you.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:08 pm

Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:04 am

Alternatively, go for a SDNY/EDNY clerkship (or any court of appeals, but that'll be super tough without law review). You can easily upgrade from there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:00 am

No other nuggets of wisdom? Can anyone with 3L interviewing experience chime in?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:16 am

Obviously apply to law firms as a 3L. The top firms (i.e. v15) are the ones that typically have any open spots for 3Ls, and your grades definetely put you in the running for those very small number of spots (make sure you get an offer from your firm this summer though - this is critical). Nothing is for sure with 3L OCI/fall job search, though, simply because there are such a small number of spots open and a whole lot of people who want those spots.

Are you on any journal? Did you do moot court? If I were in your position, I would apply to fed clerkships. That will allow you to push yourself out a year or two (which should mean a better economy to apply to firms in) and make you even more competitive for an entry level hiring at a top firm. Worst case scenario, you clerk for a year or two after law school, don't get an offer from a v15 firm, and have to return to your current firm with a $50k bonus, increased status as a 2nd year associate (or possibly even a 3rd year associate), including salary increases. Not really a bad deal imo.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:56 am

Current firm doesn't have a set policy on clerkships of any kind. I'll look into it and consider it one of my options. No law review or moot court - I know that sets me back a bit but I think those with law review and my grades likely have the jobs they want.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”