UVa OGI 2011 thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thesealocust

Platinum

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is Paul Weiss worth bidding on with Top 25% grades?
Yes. Somebody mentioned 3.6 was their lowest callback last year, but these things bounce around a lot. It's absolutely worth a bid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:17 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Yes. Somebody mentioned 3.6 was their lowest callback last year, but these things bounce around a lot. It's absolutely worth a bid.
So what firms AREN'T worth a bid with for someone in the top 25% for NyC? It seems like there aren't that many that are excluded, but I could just be imagining things.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
So what firms AREN'T worth a bid with for someone in the top 25% for NyC? It seems like there aren't that many that are excluded, but I could just be imagining things.
Cravath. Sullcrom.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:20 pm

Cravath and S&C are probably the NYC firm most likely to actively attempt to recruit above our top 25% (~3.48) but depending on how many interview they're doing they could still be worth a bid. If Cravath is doing 1 interview room again I'd pass, if either comes with ~3 then it might be worth tossing your hat in the ring. I mean if others are avoiding them, it could be a relatively easy to obtain practice interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:22 pm

thesealocust wrote:Cravath and S&C are probably the NYC firm most likely to actively attempt to recruit above our top 25% (~3.48) but depending on how many interview they're doing they could still be worth a bid. If Cravath is doing 1 interview room again I'd pass, if either comes with ~3 then it might be worth tossing your hat in the ring. I mean if others are avoiding them, it could be a relatively easy to obtain practice interview.

Haha, so S&C has two. Tips?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Cravath and S&C are probably the NYC firm most likely to actively attempt to recruit above our top 25% (~3.48) but depending on how many interview they're doing they could still be worth a bid. If Cravath is doing 1 interview room again I'd pass, if either comes with ~3 then it might be worth tossing your hat in the ring. I mean if others are avoiding them, it could be a relatively easy to obtain practice interview.

Bid them somewhere relatively low on your list, unless there's another firm you'd rather bid? 50 is "too many" bids to really intelligently use. Definitely leave it out of your top 10-20 that you're mostly likely to actually get via lottery, but probably don't completely avoid it? Or do completely avoid it? I mean this decision is so micro as to not really have a meaningful impact on your OGI experience.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Check and see if they're using 30 minute slots (14/room/day) or 20 minute slots (20/room/day). Last year I think they used 30 minute slots.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:55 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Check and see if they're using 30 minute slots (14/room/day) or 20 minute slots (20/room/day). Last year I think they used 30 minute slots.
They are doing 30 this year

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:35 am

If you're bidding all NYC and have top quarter grades or better, it's not a bad idea to bid all the big boys (Cravath and SullCrom included). Just throw them at the bottom of the bid list. They're better bids than what those last 5 or 10 bids would otherwise be placed on (some non-NY V100's 25 attorney NY outpost that hires like 2 summers a year).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:14 am

RVP11 wrote:If you're bidding all NYC and have top quarter grades or better, it's not a bad idea to bid all the big boys (Cravath and SullCrom included). Just throw them at the bottom of the bid list. They're better bids than what those last 5 or 10 bids would otherwise be placed on (some non-NY V100's 25 attorney NY outpost that hires like 2 summers a year).
Even though there is a 0% chance of being hired?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:15 am

If you have Law Review GPA but no pre-law school work experience, tips/thoughts for DC? Not asking to be a douche, genuinely curious.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
RVP11 wrote:If you're bidding all NYC and have top quarter grades or better, it's not a bad idea to bid all the big boys (Cravath and SullCrom included). Just throw them at the bottom of the bid list. They're better bids than what those last 5 or 10 bids would otherwise be placed on (some non-NY V100's 25 attorney NY outpost that hires like 2 summers a year).
As opposed to a .1% chance of being hired by Hunton & Williams or Bracewell & Giuliani in NY. If you do really well at OGI you'll regret not shooting higher.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:31 am

RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
As opposed to a .1% chance of being hired by Hunton & Williams or Bracewell & Giuliani in NY. If you do really well at OGI you'll regret not shooting higher.
I guess my point is: should I feel good enough about my chances to where I can "shoot higher?" Is top 25% that guarunteed?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I guess my point is: should I feel good enough about my chances to where I can "shoot higher?" Is top 25% that guarunteed?
I don't know anyone with top quarter or better who bid all NYC and didn't get something decent. I suppose you could still strike out if you suck at interviewing or you naturally creep people out.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:If you have Law Review GPA but no pre-law school work experience, tips/thoughts for DC? Not asking to be a douche, genuinely curious.
The problem with DC is that just about everyone on Law Review will be bidding on the same firms there, and since DC firms tend to have relatively small class sizes, your grades won't guarantee you success there. With no work experience, no ties, and so-so interviewing, it can get ugly. You should certainly bid DC if that's where you want to be, but you should also bid on a lot of NY firms to be safe.

denimchickn

New

Post by denimchickn » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:18 pm

I posted about this before, but I didn't get much of a response and I figure I'll give it another try.

I'm a transfer student from the Richmond area. I have NO desire to work in DC or NYC. Would it be bid suicide to use all my bids on Richmond/Atlanta/other small and medium sized Southern markets?

Besides Richmond, where I've lived since I was a year old, I have significant ties to Atlanta (grandparents and two sets of aunts and uncles live in the area), Kentucky (grandmother is from Louisville, mom grew up there, significant other is from Lexington), and Birmingham, AL (I was born there and my parents lived there for a while. Wouldn't mind going back.). Is my desire to stay close to home/in the South enough to convince firms in NC, SC, TN, etc. that I'm serious? Are there any firms in these markets where I wouldn't be competitive as a transfer with a 3.7+ GPA from a Top 30 school?

I know I need to talk to career services before submitting my bids, but I'd appreciate any advice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:07 pm

denimchickn wrote:I posted about this before, but I didn't get much of a response and I figure I'll give it another try.

I'm a transfer student from the Richmond area. I have NO desire to work in DC or NYC. Would it be bid suicide to use all my bids on Richmond/Atlanta/other small and medium sized Southern markets?

Besides Richmond, where I've lived since I was a year old, I have significant ties to Atlanta (grandparents and two sets of aunts and uncles live in the area), Kentucky (grandmother is from Louisville, mom grew up there, significant other is from Lexington), and Birmingham, AL (I was born there and my parents lived there for a while. Wouldn't mind going back.). Is my desire to stay close to home/in the South enough to convince firms in NC, SC, TN, etc. that I'm serious? Are there any firms in these markets where I wouldn't be competitive as a transfer with a 3.7+ GPA from a Top 30 school?

I know I need to talk to career services before submitting my bids, but I'd appreciate any advice.
The Birmingham firms are going to love you. If I were you I'd bid on everyone of them coming to OGI and mass mail each one of them not coming. UVa is a huge pipeline to Birmingham regardless of GPA.

If you bid on a firm and they reject you, special request them, because they might not know your Birmingham connections. Seriously. You are all but guruntted a birmingham job if you play it right.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:29 pm

I am not sure if this has been covered, but if a firm does not ask for a cover letter on symplicity, is it a bad idea to attach one to the resume? Does the answer change with decent grades (3.6+)? Or aiming for secondary market, but ties are strong on resume?

Thanks

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am not sure if this has been covered, but if a firm does not ask for a cover letter on symplicity, is it a bad idea to attach one to the resume? Does the answer change with decent grades (3.6+)? Or aiming for secondary market, but ties are strong on resume?

Thanks
Yes it's a bad idea. No it doesn't change with any grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:53 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am not sure if this has been covered, but if a firm does not ask for a cover letter on symplicity, is it a bad idea to attach one to the resume? Does the answer change with decent grades (3.6+)? Or aiming for secondary market, but ties are strong on resume?

Thanks
Yes it's a bad idea. No it doesn't change with any grades.
3.6+ is great grades. Decent grades is more like 3.3. KThnx.

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:50 pm

Am I kind of late if I start mass mailing stuff now?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UVAHoo2013

New

Post by UVAHoo2013 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:53 pm

Should mailings be done via email or regular mail ?

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:58 pm

uvahooo wrote:Am I kind of late if I start mass mailing stuff now?
I hear mass mailings are typically done at the end of July or early August. So I think you have some time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:42 pm

Top 25%. Do I have the grades for Gibson Dunn (NyC) or Sidley (NyC)?

UVAHoo2013

New

Post by UVAHoo2013 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:08 pm

When doing mass mailings, should cover letter, transcript and resume all be attached as one .pdf file?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”