Working in Asia without Asian Language Skills

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
unoplayer

Working in Asia without Asian Language Skills

Postby unoplayer » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:20 am

I want to work in Asia so that I can be close to my family in Hong Kong, but almost all firms in Hong Kong require fluent Mandarin ability, which I don't have. It's probably too late for me to learn to read Chinese by memorizing the many characters because I will never be as good as the many job candidates who learned it early in their lives. Learning to speak Mandarin is a bit easier because of my Cantonese background, but it probably is still a long shot.

Are there any cities in Asia that don't require fluency in an Asian language? I don't mind where I am placed since my first choice, Hong Kong, is very difficult for me. Thanks.

Eugenie Danglars

Re: Working in Asia without Asian Language Skills

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:07 am

I have friends who are doing internships in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore without language skills. I'm not sure if they will get long term employment through these internships or not.

tea_drinker

Re: Working in Asia without Asian Language Skills

Postby tea_drinker » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:55 am

If you are interested, look through this post and several posts that embedded. There may be information that may help you.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=146169

From looking around, this is what I gathered. I have no ideas if this is true or not. The more experience you have, the less necessary your language skills need to be. This means if you want a job right after law school, you probably need the language skill anywhere. However, if you are second or third year associate trying to lateral, language skills will be preferred but may not be required. This may not apply to countries that speak English as their primary language such as Singapore.

Return to “Legal Employment”