Appropriate to "connect" on LinkedIn with SA firm lawyers? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Younger Abstention

Bronze

Appropriate to "connect" on LinkedIn with SA firm lawyers?

Post by Younger Abstention » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:11 pm

I'm quite addicted to LinkedIn (though I do question its usefulness). Anyway, is it appropriate to add associates and partners at the firm I am working with?

Assume that I actually know these people and am working with them on projects.

TTH

Diamond

Re: Appropriate to "connect" on LinkedIn with SA firm lawyers?

Post by TTH » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:14 pm

I've been curious about this myself. I just got on LinkedIn and have no clue what the etiquette for it is.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:22 pm

Depends on how close you actually are to them. I've been taught that for linkedin, because it's supposed to be more professional than social, that people should only connect with others who they really know and would feel comfortable with people seeing you're connected. Who you're connected to on linkedin is essentially a virtual form of showing your inner group so if I were a partner or associate, I might not accept a SA that I don't know well.

warumnicht

New

Post by warumnicht » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:32 pm

I'd wait until the end of the summer. Then request to connect with partners who liked your work product and with whom you worked on more significant projects than just a one page memo that took less than an hour to write.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:07 pm

Hmmm, I was going to say who cares, but then I thought about it and it's not appropriate. Oddly, it'd be ok if it were just an intern, but an SA is just an associate during a probationary period. An intern might not be rehired and can't really take it personally. An SA is relying on it, and if the SA isn't hired, every former lawyer who knew your name will have heard the gossip as to "why."

Then again, linkedin is less personal than Facebook. Lately, I just accept anyone with a remote connection to me - maybe they do business in my market and randomly came across "lawyer" in the area. What do I care? Maybe someday they will pay me for work. I don't do anything with linkedin other than post my profile and resume, and accept "connections."

So no, no it's not. It can't help, and it might hurt. Wait until the offer. Then connect all day as the new addition to the firm.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:36 pm

As an associate, I would usually accept a linked in request from a summer. After all, I will be working with them in a year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”