Lower T14 Clerkship Prospects?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lower T14 Clerkship Prospects?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:15 pm

I have all my 1L grades, and I have a 3.5 at a lower T14. I'm pretty sure this doesn't even put me close to the top 1/3. Most of my grades have been B+s (median), but I did get As in Con Law and Civ Pro, as well as a couple A-s.

I've long been interested in clerking, and wonder if I stand a chance anywhere. Ideally I'd be in the Midwest, New England, or Pacific NW, and I'm open to state courts as well as federal (though I'd guess these are out of the question with my GPA). This summer I'm externing for a federal district court judge and am loving every minute of it.

Any thoughts or advice?

Re: Lower T14 Clerkship Prospects?

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts or advice?

Get better grades next year?

There aren't that many clerkship openings in any given cycle, and the downturn has made clerkship hiring a complete and total shitshow. Unfortunately you're not the only person who thinks clerking would be good and is willing to do it almost anywhere.

Things that will help include publishing, doing good work for a journal and getting managing board experience, developing extremely close relationships with profs who might have connections and/or be willing to make calls on your behalf. Even with all of that, it's a big long shot.

Return to “Legal Employment”