How soon is too soon to reach out?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
theantiscalia

How soon is too soon to reach out?

Postby theantiscalia » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:17 pm

I just finished 1L at a T25.

Back in December, I reached out to several firms in my market. I had interviews with several of them, although none of them ultimately hired any 1Ls: they just wanted to meet me and get to know me.

One of them sent me in February an email and said they'd love to grab lunch this summer and that they're very interested for an internship next year.

How soon is too soon to reach out and let them know I'm back in town? I wasn't planning on recontacting most firms until July... should I wait until them for them too?

gwuorbust

Re: How soon is too soon to reach out?

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:34 pm

I don't think it makes much difference.

but, make sure that before you accept this "internship" that there is the possibly that it can lead to full-time post graduation employment. You don't want to be unemployed cause a firm wanted cheap (free?) labor and you accepted before OCI even began.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:36 pm

actually I am going to change my statement. I think it is better if you wait until July because then at least you can say you've done XY and Z during you 1L summer, which makes you a stronger candidate. Right now what can you say that is different from when you were last talking to them? Not all that much.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:21 pm

Just as another perspective, it never hurts to be eager and interested. Why wait? Lunch now AND later. I don't see how it can hurt, and if you hit it off with the interviewer, it can help you network. Strike while the iron is hot. They reached out. Reach back. You're not committing to anything. That's the beauty of flirting - you can see if there's a connection, and if things don't feel right, you kept it light so no one's feelings get hurt. Who knows how many other law students they are "interested" in.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:27 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Just as another perspective, it never hurts to be eager and interested. Why wait? Lunch now AND later. I don't see how it can hurt, and if you hit it off with the interviewer, it can help you network. Strike while the iron is hot. They reached out. Reach back. You're not committing to anything. That's the beauty of flirting - you can see if there's a connection, and if things don't feel right, you kept it light so no one's feelings get hurt. Who knows how many other law students they are "interested" in.

I never thought I could be mildly aroused by legal hiring

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:46 pm

NYC Law wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:Just as another perspective, it never hurts to be eager and interested. Why wait? Lunch now AND later. I don't see how it can hurt, and if you hit it off with the interviewer, it can help you network. Strike while the iron is hot. They reached out. Reach back. You're not committing to anything. That's the beauty of flirting - you can see if there's a connection, and if things don't feel right, you kept it light so no one's feelings get hurt. Who knows how many other law students they are "interested" in.

Oh it's very romantic. There's the online profile searching, the initial meeting with no commitment, the awkward lunches and dinners as you feel each other out, the buildup of anticipation, getting the go ahead to come back in the summer (second base), the hot and wild summer you hope will never end, the cash and the parties, and the inevitable consummation (home run) or heartrending breakup (anal, receiving end). You feel dirty in the end, but it was all worth the experience.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:11 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:

Oh it's very romantic. There's the online profile searching, the initial meeting with no commitment, the awkward lunches and dinners as you feel each other out, the buildup of anticipation, getting the go ahead to come back in the summer (second base), the hot and wild summer you hope will never end, the cash and the parties, and the inevitable consummation (home run) or heartrending breakup (anal, receiving end). You feel dirty in the end, but it was all worth the experience.

This should be nominated for TLS post of the year.

memphisbelle

Postby memphisbelle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:34 am

theantiscalia wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:

This should be nominated for TLS post of the year.

+ 1,000,000....that's funny. I don't care who you are. :)

Return to “Legal Employment”