1L Summer Positions - what kind is better?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

1L Summer Positions - what kind is better?

Postby hanabana » Sat May 14, 2011 1:19 am

Hello everyone. I've heard that what you do in 1L summer doesn't really matter, but how much truth is in that?
I'm caught between what to do for the summer and don't really know what will be best.
The first choice is an unpaid internship at a private law firm dealing with corporate law, it's not really a big firm. The second choice is a nonprofit healthcare organization internship, oddly enough, this internship will be paid, although they really didn't specify how much. I'm not sure which one would be better, being that I did not take any classes dealing w/ any of these legal fields in 1L year, so I don't know which I'd be more interested in. So now I'm wondering, if I take the paid nonprofit organization job, will this kill my chances of working in a law firm later on? I am considering working in a law firm afterwards (likely not biglaw though), so I wonder if it'd be better to work in a law firm instead, to keep my options open. This is not an easy decision to make, because as all of you probably know, I could really use a little money after the law school tuition... But I don't know if working in a law firm might be better when it comes to learning from the internship.

I guess besides from this dilemma, the general questions are: Does work during 1L year matter at all, and would what you pick limit you to what you can do afterwards? Also, would working one part-time job be enough? I don't know if I can land two part-time jobs, the timing and location issues would be hard to figure out...

Any comments and advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Ipsa Dixit

Re: 1L Summer Positions - what kind is better?

Postby Ipsa Dixit » Sat May 14, 2011 9:48 am

You've got one offering you experience + $0.

You've got the other offering you experience + some $.

I'd go with the paid internship, no question.

Why do you think the healthcare org would not be relevant to firm work later down the road? A lot of firms practice health law.

Postby Renzo » Sat May 14, 2011 11:01 am

Only one thing matters for 1L summers: you need to be able to talk for 90 seconds when someone says, "what did you learn/how did you like/what did you work on at _________ last summer?"

Personally, I'd take the paying gig. But do whatvever you want; if you think you'd like the unpaid job better, do that instead. No one will ever care.

Postby hanabana » Sun May 15, 2011 2:08 am

Thanks for your suggestions! :D
I'll be making a decision soon, just need a bit more time. I'll probably try to make sure that none of them thinks I already agreed to taking the job before I firm it up, b/c I wouldn't want to be rude and turn my back on something.
Thanks again.

Return to “Legal Employment”