Building a book of business

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kabuo

Building a book of business

Postby Kabuo » Tue May 10, 2011 5:44 pm

I'm a 0L, and after being on here for awhile, I've gathered that to make partner, you don't have to be a great lawyer so much as you have to be a serviceable lawyer who also brings in business. So how does an associate make the partners think he or she is going to be able to bring in business? Do you naturally pick up clients in your ordinary work? Do you have to go actively look for them, and if so, when/how? Do you just inherit retiring partners' clients as they retire? Anyone care to tell this 0L how someone brings in business as an associate in order to make partner, or even how a partner brings in business?

learnedpaw

Re: Building a book of business

Postby learnedpaw » Tue May 10, 2011 6:20 pm

The vast majority of an associate's book will be inherited from an outgoing partner. Work begins with assignments from the partner and you will sit in on client meetings in order to get acquainted with them. After awhile, the clients will start going to you directly with minor level work, and eventually you inherit the full thing.

But networking is also important. The second best way to bring in clients is to become an expert in an area of law, network with colleagues outside your firm, and then seek their referrals down the road.

Kabuo

Re: Building a book of business

Postby Kabuo » Tue May 10, 2011 9:32 pm

Thanks, that's pretty much what I expected, but it's good to have it confirmed.

Return to “Legal Employment”