Undergraduate Connections

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
abl210

Undergraduate Connections

Postby abl210 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:27 pm

So, I will be attending law school during the upcoming fall semester and I had just recently found out that my undergraduate school (Lehigh University) has a network of alumni that are Lawyers. The purpose of the group is to help Lehigh students who are in law school or who have just recently graduated law school find jobs. I am wondering how affective an undergraduate school's connection with a firm or a corporation is? Has anyone landed a job or an internship or knows someone who has because of a recommendation from the undergraduate institution they attended and not primarily through the law school they attended. I am asking this because I am curious as to how much attention and effort I should give to this Lehigh Lawyers group because I have heard and been told by lawyers that potential employers do not care at all what undergraduate school one attended.

Lwoods

Re: Undergraduate Connections

Postby Lwoods » Tue May 10, 2011 1:31 pm

They might care if they also went to your undergrad. Networking, if done correctly, never hurts. Reach out to the group, see who's in it, make them like you, and keep in touch with one or two you really hit it off with. When it comes time to look for a job, reach out to those people. Their colleagues won't care that you went to the same undergrad as the person recommending you, but they will feel more comfortable hiring you if you come highly recommended.

Return to “Legal Employment”