Chances of Offer after 2L SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
futuremrsk

Chances of Offer after 2L SA?

Postby futuremrsk » Mon May 09, 2011 10:51 pm

Hey everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone out there had any good advice on how to maximize my chances of getting a permanent offer at the end of the summer? This is my first time working as a summer associate - last summer I worked for a non-profit environmental legal organization, and this summer I am working at a small-ish (15-20 attorneys) environmental boutique firm in a secondary market (where I don't currently live). I am really excited about my job, and I would really like to make this permanent. After my boss for this summer learned that my husband was also in the environmental field looking for a job (he is an engineer), my boss put him in touch with a lot of his contacts to help him get a job as well.

In any case, just hoping for some advice from others who are more experienced summer associates!

Gideon Strumpet

Re: Chances of Offer after 2L SA?

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Wed May 18, 2011 11:49 am

Work hard. Wear a suit. Behave like an adult.

I'm not kidding. This applies to any summer job, with any firm or organization.

When I say work hard, I mean old-school hard. This means "work hard" in the way that the senior partners at your firm would mean that phrase when they say it. This isn't law school 1L "only played wii for two hours instead of eight today" hard. You're applying for a job where the endgame is becoming an earning partner in a small business. Act like it.

Any firm that hires you is going to blow a lot of money paying you as a new associate before you start to turn a profit. They want to see what return they can expect on that investment. They also want to see that they can put you in social settings or in the same room with a client and trust that you won't act like an asshole.

Show them you can earn for them; show them they can trust and rely on you. This won't guarantee you a job, but it will guarantee they'll consider you.

Tree

Postby Tree » Wed May 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Gideon Strumpet wrote:Work hard. Wear a suit. Behave like an adult.

I'm not kidding. This applies to any summer job, with any firm or organization.

When I say work hard, I mean old-school hard. This means "work hard" in the way that the senior partners at your firm would mean that phrase when they say it. This isn't law school 1L "only played wii for two hours instead of eight today" hard. You're applying for a job where the endgame is becoming an earning partner in a small business. Act like it.

Any firm that hires you is going to blow a lot of money paying you as a new associate before you start to turn a profit. They want to see what return they can expect on that investment. They also want to see that they can put you in social settings or in the same room with a client and trust that you won't act like an asshole.

Show them you can earn for them; show them they can trust and rely on you. This won't guarantee you a job, but it will guarantee they'll consider you.

Tagged!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 21, 2011 2:38 am

what does "earning" money for a firm even entail? aside from just turning out the best work product you can on the projects you take on, what else can you do?

Gideon Strumpet

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Sat May 21, 2011 2:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:what does "earning" money for a firm even entail? aside from just turning out the best work product you can on the projects you take on, what else can you do?

Turn out a shit ton of it; and if you want to stay for long, bring new money (clients) to the door.

Return to “Legal Employment”