Just laid off...taking questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
The Valkyrie

Just laid off...taking questions

Postby The Valkyrie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:02 pm

The Valkyrie has been ripped from her firm job. Ask anything...

Mick Haller

Re: Just laid off...taking questions

Postby Mick Haller » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:03 pm

sorry to hear that. what reason did they give?

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:03 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:The Valkyrie has been ripped from her firm job. Ask anything...

Reason?

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:06 pm

budget/economy/disability of a partner.

one of the partners has been out on medical leave for like 6 months. since new associates are unprofitable by nature, there was no room for me on the payroll considering that business has stalled markedly and the sick partner would not be back full time for a while.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Approximate size of the firm?

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:17 pm

7 lawyers

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:22 pm

what happens now? do you have any plans? what law school did u go to and how did you do?

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:32 pm

I'm not exactly sure. I had an interview yesterday, but the firm was an unabashed sweatshop and I wasn't too jazzed. We'll see though. Im in a small college town and I'm hoping that someone who has seen me work will have a need to fill. I'm also interested in other things like business, advertising, things like that, so I'm not sure if I'll stay in law practice 100%.

went to a tier one state school, median grades.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:54 pm

Advertising is a much tougher way to make a living than practicing law.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:56 pm

I know that, but thank you.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:01 pm

Which school (or range of school) did you go to? What was your approx. class rank? How long had you held the job? What did the job pay?

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:02 pm

uga. dont know my class rank but I was right in the middle. 2 years, 57k +health.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:03 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:uga. dont know my class rank but I was right in the middle. 2 years, 57k +health.

but UGA statistics report $108k average!
http://www.law.uga.edu/class-2009

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:07 pm

How were the hours at your firm job? Did you take that job originally over any other job options?

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Mick Haller wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:uga. dont know my class rank but I was right in the middle. 2 years, 57k +health.

but UGA statistics report $108k average!
http://www.law.uga.edu/class-2009

HA!

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:10 pm

Wholigan wrote:How were the hours at your firm job? Did you take that job originally over any other job options?

hours were very good. 8:30-6:00, obviously nights and weekends before trial and whatnot. I took the job through a family friend connection, as I had no other options at the time.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:11 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:I'm not exactly sure. I had an interview yesterday, but the firm was an unabashed sweatshop and I wasn't too jazzed. We'll see though. Im in a small college town and I'm hoping that someone who has seen me work will have a need to fill. I'm also interested in other things like business, advertising, things like that, so I'm not sure if I'll stay in law practice 100%.

Advertising isn't "Mad Men". It's basically a desk job where you get paid at most $25k/year to start with little upward mobility. It's a nice starter job for just-out-of-undergrads, but I wouldn't recommend it as post-law school employment.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:11 pm

For private practice, the starting salary range was $50,000-$160,000 as reported in 2009.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:17 pm

keg411 wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:I'm not exactly sure. I had an interview yesterday, but the firm was an unabashed sweatshop and I wasn't too jazzed. We'll see though. Im in a small college town and I'm hoping that someone who has seen me work will have a need to fill. I'm also interested in other things like business, advertising, things like that, so I'm not sure if I'll stay in law practice 100%.

Advertising isn't "Mad Men". It's basically a desk job where you get paid at most $25k/year to start with little upward mobility. It's a nice starter job for just-out-of-undergrads, but I wouldn't recommend it as post-law school employment.

I knew I shouldnt have mentioned my interest in advertising and promotion, because someone would inevitably come on here, jump down off of their horse and tell me "you know dear, advertising isn't like Mad Men." I mean it would be one thing if I said "I'm thinking about chucking it in and getting into advertising, mostly because I love drinking, smoking, and marital infidelity! Hey, have you guys ever seen Mad Men?"

Thank you very much for your advice and recommendation. I have advertising experience and I know what the job(s) is like. I also appreciate the general career tips but I'm resolved to make my own decisions about "post-law school employment."

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:05 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:
keg411 wrote:

I knew I shouldnt have mentioned my interest in advertising and promotion, because someone would inevitably come on here, jump down off of their horse and tell me "you know dear, advertising isn't like Mad Men." I mean it would be one thing if I said "I'm thinking about chucking it in and getting into advertising, mostly because I love drinking, smoking, and marital infidelity! Hey, have you guys ever seen Mad Men?"

Thank you very much for your advice and recommendation. I have advertising experience and I know what the job(s) is like. I also appreciate the general career tips but I'm resolved to make my own decisions about "post-law school employment."

I was in advertising for 5 years post-college, which is why I made the recommendation. I'm glad you have experience and know what it's about because every time I talk about how I was in advertising, people make "Mad Men" comments (and I've never even seen an episode).

ETA: Think of it as an analogy to those who want to go to Law School and "Law & Order".

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:24 pm

its funny you should say that last sentence, because I was going to comment that your advice re: advertising can be easily amended to apply to law.

you should check out Mad Men - it's a really compelling show that doesnt let its characters stew and spin their wheels. There are lots of neat advertising references and tidbits in the show but the writing and production are really top-tier for television.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:06 pm

I love all the questions re: school and class rank and whether this was OP's only job offer.

What'd y'all expect to hear? That OP was top 10% at a T6 and chose to work at a 7 attorney firm over Cravath?

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:08 pm

I love all the nervous 0Ls in here begging for information to factor into whether this could happen to them. Not that it would affect their decision to go to law school, though.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:14 pm

Yeah, those stupid 0Ls. Fuck those guys.

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:17 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:I love all the nervous 0Ls in here begging for information to factor into whether this could happen to them. Not that it would affect their decision to go to law school, though.

not really what this thread is like at all. did you read it?

Return to “Legal Employment”