Loyola PLIP thread for 2011 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dood

Gold

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Post by dood » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:28 pm

i disagree with the EE thing. i think its very spread out based on people i met last year. and i mean, think about why science people go to law school - its for like a million subjective reasons - most people dont major in EE for the sole purpose of working in IP.

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:38 pm

turbotong wrote:
erico wrote:
turbotong wrote:Anyone know the the general distribution of undergrad majors at PLIP, or at least rank them in terms of applicant number?

BS/MS/Ph.D in:
Bio
Chem
CS/CE
EE - Winning
ME
Physics
Others
Really, there are more EE's than other majors? From the group I met at an orientation, there weren't that many EE's... there were more chem people. Then again I saw a fairly small sample size and it was at orientation not PLIP.
I wasn't really answering the question. Just saying EE's are winning.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:10 pm

There are more EE's than there are any type of engineer. I'd imagine that translate to being more law student EE's than other kinds.

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:22 pm

I don't know if that's true. I know that there were for more ME's in my undergrad.

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:29 pm

erico wrote:I don't know if that's true. I know that there were for more ME's in my undergrad.
Yeah, you were right. --LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:36 pm

Are you guys just getting your bids in ASAP and turning right back to studying for finals?

For those who've viewed the PLI web briefing in a previous year, was it useful? It's kind of annoying because if not viewed live on Thursday, the briefing will get posted to the archive about 2 weeks later according to the email sent, which would make it available a little late right before bidding closes during exams.

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:43 pm

drdolittle wrote:Are you guys just getting your bids in ASAP and turning right back to studying for finals?

For those who've viewed the PLI web briefing in a previous year, was it useful? It's kind of annoying because if not viewed live on Thursday, the briefing will get posted to the archive about 2 weeks later according to the email sent, which would make it available a little late right before bidding closes during exams.
yeah i finished my bids today. i may change them but probably not.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:54 pm

You guys going w/ a 1-page or 2-page resume? I'm doing 2 so I can explain a bit more what my technical background involves.

ETA: I wonder if Dickstein requires a sense of humor because you need one to work at a place called Dickstein
Last edited by weee on Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:59 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:00 am

The biggest question is do we put our summer job on the resume?

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:01 am

Desert Fox wrote:The biggest question is do we put our summer job on the resume?
I am going to.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:02 am

weee wrote:You guys going w/ a 1-page or 2-page resume? I'm doing 2 so I can explain a bit more what my technical background involves.
Going with 2 to fit pubs, etc. I've been told and have found that's fine as long as long as the extra page is not fluff.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:05 am

Desert Fox wrote:The biggest question is do we put our summer job on the resume?
I will. As long as your plans are set (offer/acceptance), I think you should definitely include it. Why wouldn't you?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zzzzzzzzzz

New

Post by zzzzzzzzzz » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:08 am

drdolittle wrote:
I will. As long as your plans are set (offer/acceptance), I think you should definitely include it. Why wouldn't you?
Definitely do this. But you can expect to be asked questions about whatever you write for the description. So if you put something in there that you don't wind up doing, it's not that big a deal, but be prepared to explain when the employer asks you about it.

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:11 am

drdolittle wrote:
don't forget consideration. yeah i put mine on there definitely.

lasagnacheese

New

Post by lasagnacheese » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:12 am

guys really need help with this bidding thig! Please help me. How should i bid??

I hold dual degrees in physics and chemical engr *undergrad), and I am at a T25 and will be starting a masters in electrical engr in fall of this year. My 1st semester ranking is around 15%. How should i do with this patent fair?? any help will be appreciated. I am a 1L.

And oh ya, if it helps, i already took the patent bar last year but I made a 67...I plan on taking it again this summer and am very sure i will pass it. (how do i put something like this on my resume)

no summer job yet...

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:14 am

lasagnacheese wrote:guys really need help with this bidding thig! Please help me. How should i bid??

I hold dual degrees in physics and chemical engr *undergrad), and I am at a T25 and will be starting a masters in electrical engr in fall of this year. My 1st semester ranking is around 15%. How should i do with this patent fair?? any help will be appreciated. I am a 1L.

And oh ya, if it helps, i already took the patent bar last year but I made a 67...I plan on taking it again this summer and am very sure i will pass it. (how do i put something like this on my resume)

no summer job yet...
i'm getting de ja vu all over again.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:15 am

lasagnacheese wrote:guys really need help with this bidding thig! Please help me. How should i bid??

no summer job yet...
Well obviously don't mention you failed the patent bar. How are you starting your MSEE during law school? Is it a combo JD/MSEE? IF list it just like you list your JD on resume.

When are you graduating?

Am I responding to a massive flame?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:16 am

Desert Fox wrote:

no summer job yet...
Well obviously don't mention you failed the patent bar. How are you starting your MSEE during law school? Is it a combo JD/MSEE? IF list it just like you list your JD on resume.

When are you graduating?

Am I responding to a massive flame?
Worthless if flame, no lulz to be had

caleng

New

Post by caleng » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:17 am

Many of the employer descriptions state that they look for Law Review (or another Journal) and Moot Court, but my school doesn't do the Journal writing competition until after finals and Moot Court takes place during the 2L year. Do employers understand that, or will it reflect poorly on a resume?

lasagnacheese

New

Post by lasagnacheese » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:20 am

no, this is not a flame. I am graduating in 2013. if you were to check departments of EE in most schools, you will find that you only need 10 classes to get a MS in EE. Out of which 2 can be transferred from any tech dept. if you took grad level classes in Undergrad. So, its really 8 classes or 2 classes per semester..its doable...espicially if all you want to do is patent law...so, you take classes only related to patent law and fill up schedule with really easy seminars etc...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:21 am

I'm a little annoyed with the "Firmwide" Lazy ass firms, since they don't list where offices are. I'm going to make a list of firms with California Offices, if someone is willing to do the same for NY or DC I will paste it in to the OP.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:25 am

weee wrote:I'm a little annoyed with the "Firmwide" Lazy ass firms, since they don't list where offices are. I'm going to make a list of firms with California Offices, if someone is willing to do the same for NY or DC I will paste it in to the OP.

It's worse since sometimes they'll have a NYC office, but on NALP it looks like that office doesn't really do IP.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:29 am

lasagnacheese wrote:no, this is not a flame. I am graduating in 2013. if you were to check departments of EE in most schools, you will find that you only need 10 classes to get a MS in EE. Out of which 2 can be transferred from any tech dept. if you took grad level classes in Undergrad. So, its really 8 classes or 2 classes per semester..its doable...espicially if all you want to do is patent law...so, you take classes only related to patent law and fill up schedule with really easy seminars etc...
So put it on your resume with the expected date of graduation. You might get questions about whether you are really qualified since your BS was in physics and Chem E. Though the Chem Eng degree by itself should be pretty good and you can sell yourself as able to do both.

Talk to your career services about where to bid.

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:33 am

weee wrote:I'm a little annoyed with the "Firmwide" Lazy ass firms, since they don't list where offices are. I'm going to make a list of firms with California Offices, if someone is willing to do the same for NY or DC I will paste it in to the OP.
i did an initial chalk up from NALP.

http://ipreveal.blogspot.com/

there's instructions how to read in the comments.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”