Loyola PLIP thread for 2011 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:57 pm

Anyone else just get the email from Procter & Gamble saying they would not be attending the fair any longer? What a shame... :(

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else just get the email from Procter & Gamble saying they would not be attending the fair any longer? What a shame... :(
No but they didn't preselected me either. I'm assuming they preselcted you?

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:30 am

so. are people generally double-bidding firms at their school's EIP? I've read somewhere that you should bid on firms that did not preselect you (as they might have just turned you down anticipating they can see you at EIP). But what about firms that did preselect you? IE should you try to get two screening interviews at the same place or is that just a waste of time?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:56 am

englawyer wrote:so. are people generally double-bidding firms at their school's EIP? I've read somewhere that you should bid on firms that did not preselect you (as they might have just turned you down anticipating they can see you at EIP). But what about firms that did preselect you? IE should you try to get two screening interviews at the same place or is that just a waste of time?
Did for firms that didn't pick me, not for firms that didn't. I figure that if I can't convert when they're actually looking for IP people, it isn't going to happen. If I wasn't set on IP I might have though, at least for firms I really liked.

ehshornet

New

Post by ehshornet » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:02 am

stratocophic wrote:
englawyer wrote:so. are people generally double-bidding firms at their school's EIP? I've read somewhere that you should bid on firms that did not preselect you (as they might have just turned you down anticipating they can see you at EIP). But what about firms that did preselect you? IE should you try to get two screening interviews at the same place or is that just a waste of time?
Did for firms that didn't pick me, not for firms that didn't. I figure that if I can't convert when they're actually looking for IP people, it isn't going to happen. If I wasn't set on IP I might have though, at least for firms I really liked.
I will probably do this approach as well. We do not have to submit bids for another few weeks for our OCI. Can you guys let us know how your preselects for your OCI turn out before we have to submit our bids? I think your strategy seems appropriate, but it would be good to know if firms will preselect us at OCI even if they did not preselect us at PLIP. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:07 am

Interesting. My plan is to use bids on the firms that I didn't get through PLIP, even if they dinged me, but probably not double-bid preselects. I am not sure about the value-add of doing two screening interviews with the same firm/office.

I was thinking this is right because I got some preselects with prestigious places (V20 +) but got dinged at some "lesser" firms (especially Boston ones) that I would be very happy working at. Someone earlier in the thread said that firms might ding at PLIP if they are confident they will see the student at EIP anyway.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:33 pm

I'm not double bidding if I can help it. I figure new territory is better under a Lotto OCI system. But if you have pre select OCI, why the fuck not.

mebeSajid

Bronze

Post by mebeSajid » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm not double bidding if I can help it. I figure new territory is better under a Lotto OCI system. But if you have pre select OCI, why the fuck not.
That's how I'm approaching it. But there are firms that I already have two interviews with, before OCI, at various job fairs. Is a third screener really going to make a difference?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm not double bidding if I can help it. I figure new territory is better under a Lotto OCI system. But if you have pre select OCI, why the fuck not.
that's my reasoning. if we were lotto, I probably wouldn't either. If they KNOW they could get you at OCI through preselect, it's more feasible that they'd hold off at PLIP. Plus theoretically less competition at a non-T14 OCI anyway, so why not if you like em. It'll all come down to relying on charm over credentials for us proles at preselect schools at some point, may as well presume you have enough cause it won't matter if you don't.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ehshornet

New

Post by ehshornet » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:15 am

Just found out I got on a journal! Do you think it is worth shooting emails with updated resumes to all the firms I was preselected at or should I bring an updated resume to the interview or both?

Thanks!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:21 am

ehshornet wrote:Just found out I got on a journal! Do you think it is worth shooting emails with updated resumes to all the firms I was preselected at or should I bring an updated resume to the interview or both?

Thanks!
Bring it with you IMO. No one had journal info when we gave them our materials anyway, just use it as another talking point in your interview if you want lit. I dunno how much it'd help for pros positions, seems like it would be less relevant though still a plus? Congrats

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:03 am

i updated my resume (format changes, internship updates) after bidding/scheduling in anticipation of my school's on campus interviewing. Should I bring copies of my new resume, or copies of the resume I submitted when bidding for PLIP?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:43 am

several firms didnt select me at loyola b/c they knew theyd be coming to our schools OCI. i double bid several firms and am actually a SA at one that passed me up at loyola.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ENGINEERD

Bronze

Post by ENGINEERD » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:13 am

I am trying to decide whether I want to take the patent bar within the next few days, prior to loyola, or give myself an extra week or two to study and take it in mid august before returning to school. Do you guys think it would be worth it to take take it before loyola?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:24 am

How many interviews do you have?

Prepping for interviews at this point probably has a better ROI than studying for the patent bar. Do you already have a date set and you're just deciding whether to postpone?

I was scheduled to take it the week before Loyola last year and postponed until the second week in August. Had no problems and no one at Loyola cared.

ENGINEERD

Bronze

Post by ENGINEERD » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:30 am

wiseowl wrote:How many interviews do you have?

Prepping for interviews at this point probably has a better ROI than studying for the patent bar. Do you already have a date set and you're just deciding whether to postpone?

I was scheduled to take it the week before Loyola last year and postponed until the second week in August. Had no problems and no one at Loyola cared.
I only have a few. I am signed up for the 25th but I am thinking about pushing it back to august 10th. My grades are not what I would like them to be so I am hoping that passing the patent bar might sway some employers but maybe that is just wishful thinking?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:33 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:
wiseowl wrote:How many interviews do you have?

I only have a few. I am signed up for the 25th but I am thinking about pushing it back to august 10th. My grades are not what I would like them to be so I am hoping that passing the patent bar might sway some employers but maybe that is just wishful thinking?
If you only have a few, each one becomes that much more important. Having taken the bar already won't get you a job; having a good interview might.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:48 pm

Ouch. I wasn't able to get my UNDERGRAD transcript on time. I can always forward the transcript to them when I receive it next week. But how damaging is this? Am I screwed? Ugh.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ouch. I wasn't able to get my UNDERGRAD transcript on time. I can always forward the transcript to them when I receive it next week. But how damaging is this? Am I screwed? Ugh.
I'm considering using this as an excuse now.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ouch. I wasn't able to get my UNDERGRAD transcript on time. I can always forward the transcript to them when I receive it next week. But how damaging is this? Am I screwed? Ugh.
you can't access an unofficial version anywhere? no need for official copies (at least i hope not!). LSAC might even have yours on file..

zzzzzzzzzz

New

Post by zzzzzzzzzz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:35 pm

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:01 am

Hopefully people aren't getting screwed by the weather.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:32 am

Good luck everyone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:51 am

Did anyone hear that guy very emphatically (and loudly) turn down an alternate slot the first day?

I lol'd

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone hear that guy very emphatically (and loudly) turn down an alternate slot the first day?

I lol'd
Mcdermott at noon?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”