DOJ or USAO? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Independent of market, which is better for Biglaw?

US Attorney's Office EDNY - Civil Division (NY)
62%
DOJ Criminal Division, Fraud Section (DC)
38%

Total votes: 21

bceagles182

Silver

DOJ or USAO?

Post by bceagles182 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:41 pm

I've been offered two positions this summer (1L).

1. DOJ Criminal Division, Fraud Section
2. US Attorney's Office for EDNY, Civil Division

Which is better for biglaw?

treeey86

Bronze

Re: DOJ or USAO?

Post by treeey86 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:24 pm

both look good. USAO is better though. Big firms do civil litigation. USAO does civil litigation. Easier sale for you to market USAO civil litigation experience to a big firm

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:20 pm

treeey86 wrote:both look good. USAO is better though. Big firms do civil litigation. USAO does civil litigation. Easier sale for you to market USAO civil litigation experience to a big firm
+1. However, neither will make a big difference during OCI -- it's all about your grades.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:48 pm

I hear a lot of really good things about that particular USAO. I'd go there. But it won't matter as far as OCI.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:19 pm

I was an intern at the DOJ in law school if you have any specific questions.

Either is fine for biglaw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:20 pm

I interned in EDNY Criminal my 1L year and it was a phenominal office. I can't say enough good things about it. You can't go wrong with either one though. EDNY is as well respected as USAOs get; many of the AUSAs worked for big firms, and many partners at big NYC firms were EDNY AUSAs. DOJ Fraud is a very highly regarded white-collar crime prosecution force. Most of what you'll do as a junior associate in biglaw is white-collar gov't regulation stuff, and DOJ Fraud will look great on a resume.

Bottom line, if you're more interested in criminal or government investigations, go to DOJ. If you have no interest in criminal, go to the USAO. Keep in mind though that a lot of what USAOs do on the civil side is very different than the civil work big firms do. It's a lot of defending gov't employees (postal truck crashes, med malpractice at the VA hospital, etc) with a bit of affirmative litigation. DOJ Fraud is probably more on point of what goes on in biglaw, not that that matters too much.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bottom line, if you're more interested in criminal or government investigations, go to DOJ. If you have no interest in criminal, go to the USAO. Keep in mind though that a lot of what USAOs do on the civil side is very different than the civil work big firms do. It's a lot of defending gov't employees (postal truck crashes, med malpractice at the VA hospital, etc) with a bit of affirmative litigation. DOJ Fraud is probably more on point of what goes on in biglaw, not that that matters too much.
While much of this is accurate, as an intern on the civil side of an USAO, you will be doing motions to dismiss, motions for summary judgment, and different oppositions to filings by the other side. Generally speaking, the substantive legal issue in the case never even gets dealt with, since many lawsuits are dismissed early on. As a result, while the legal issues may be different than at a Biglaw firm, the experience in just drafting motions and learning what it takes to even reach discovery is a valuable experience that correlates well.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:43 pm

bceagles182 wrote:I've been offered two positions this summer (1L).

1. DOJ Criminal Division, Fraud Section
2. US Attorney's Office for EDNY, Civil Division

Which is better for biglaw?
EDNY Civil is better for BigLaw, but you're pretty much splitting hairs at this point. Either would be great. School and grades matter more anyway, so it's not like you're making a truly life-altering decision.

Also, it's not like employers know what you turned down. They won't be asking, "Why did you go criminal when you had an offer from a civil division office?" Instead they just see DOJ, which is a plus in general, and then ask why you went there, what you gained from it, etc. As long as you have answers to those questions, it's not like it really matters.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:15 am

You cannot go wrong here, either is fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”