Year Between

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Year Between

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:40 pm

I have participated in a few volunteer opportunities, worked the seasonal shift for UPS, and am currently employed by Kaplan (this is only part time of course).

Is this sufficient for the year between? I graduated in May. I studied for the June and October LSAT. During this time, I interviewed for and received my Kaplan job (started early January 2011) as well as had jury duty. Finding full time employment was difficult because I am moving in June.

Please do not quote. Just want some opinions on whether this will matter at all for OCI (mainly interested if there is anything negative that will come from it).

Re: Year Between

Postby zomginternets » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:06 pm

I think it will negatively affect you in the sense that someone who was employed full time + studied for the LSAT will be considered a harder worker than you (rightly or wrongly).

But I think the shitty economy excuse is a pretty good fall back, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's not like you didn't do anything.

Re: Year Between

Postby gabbagabba » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:03 pm

Doubt it; while biglaw might like someone who worked in a firm during that time, an employer also knows that not everyone can get a job like that.

In either case, having something to explain the gap, like work experience, is a lot better than having a 1-yr blank on your resume

Return to “Legal Employment”