Joint degree at the Kennedy School: Kill OCI Biglaw chances?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Joint degree at the Kennedy School: Kill OCI Biglaw chances?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:06 am

Currently a 1L at a T14 which has a joint program with Kennedy. I'm within the top 25% grades-wise at my current school.

The JD/MPP is a 4 year program, which would require me to spend 3 terms (1.5 years) at Harvard. I'm interested in policy long-term, but also really enjoy law school and would like to practice for a while. Would doing a joint degree there, which I wouldn't apply for until next year, make me seem like a "flight risk" to many firms when I go through OCI.

LurkerNoMore

Re: Joint degree at the Kennedy School: Kill OCI Biglaw chances?

Postby LurkerNoMore » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:21 am

Are you interested in DC firms? If so, and if you keep your credentials up at your T14, I don't think it will be a huge issue as far as flight risk concerns. Top DC firms are revolving doors with government and pride themselves as such. The only concern I would have would be timing and such for OCI, which is something you should talk over with your CSO. You might also want to reach out to some alumni who are practicing as well to get their perspective.

Return to “Legal Employment”