US Attorney's Internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Sup Kid

Re: US Attorney's Internship

Postby Sup Kid » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:48 pm

UCLAtransfer wrote:The only thing I would add is that in my experience, a Biglaw background is hugely important, regardless of whether you are looking at Criminal or Civil Divisions. (At least in the two major-city USAOs I am familiar with.) For those offices, ADA/prosecutor experience was really a secondary/only other alternative way in.

I agree that a majority of AUSAs came from Biglaw, but I don't think it's necessarily because having that background is important. Instead, I think its mostly because USAOs are very selective, and those with the best academic credentials tend to go to Biglaw rather than to a DAs office. If grades/school are equal, I don't think the Biglaw associate gets preference over a ADA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:23 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
UCLAtransfer wrote:The only thing I would add is that in my experience, a Biglaw background is hugely important, regardless of whether you are looking at Criminal or Civil Divisions. (At least in the two major-city USAOs I am familiar with.) For those offices, ADA/prosecutor experience was really a secondary/only other alternative way in.

I agree that a majority of AUSAs came from Biglaw, but I don't think it's necessarily because having that background is important. Instead, I think its mostly because USAOs are very selective, and those with the best academic credentials tend to go to Biglaw rather than to a DAs office. If grades/school are equal, I don't think the Biglaw associate gets preference over a ADA.

+1 to biglaw. The majority of AUSAs in my district - and the US Atty herself - are all former biglaw associates or partners.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The San Diego office hires the top of the class from the top law schools outside of San Diego. This year they already filled their spots before even interviewing at any of the San Diego school. However, they were kind enough to post with the local schools' CSOs, take applications long past all their openings were filled, and conduct interviews with local students and then tell them there was no opening in the first place.

It sucks living in the best city on the planet, because all the rich boys and girls from lame cities are willing to have their parents pay to send them out here to work for free this summer.

This is not true... I go to USD and got an offer from the Civil Division in San Diego after interviewing during spring OCI (although I had to turn it down because I've accepted elsewhere). For those interested about grades, USD doesn't rank until May, but based on conversion charts from last year's 1Ls, I should be top 10%.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:14 pm

I also have another question, what is the best way to get a job in the U.S. Attorney's office. I would have to assume they do not tend to hire fresh, new law school graduates.

Would a significant number of years as a county prosecutor, or a state prosecutor work in hiring practices of the USAO's?

Also are the hiring political, meaning it is harder for someone without connections to be hired, or is that just for the main appointed us attorney?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:25 pm

I feel like anyone in the state of FL who applies to a USAO from a T1 gets it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:35 pm

Median at t20 school who struck out at OCIs this past cycle. I have an offer to work as a volunteer intern at the USAO this coming 2L summer. I also have some in-house and small firm opportunities available to me. Is the USAO job my best course of action to impress mid-size+ firms or would it be better to work in-house? Also, what benefits to my career would working at the USAO provide? My longterm goal is to be a commercial litigator.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jchance

Postby Jchance » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:44 pm

Take the in-house/small law gig and try to negotiate the USAO internship for school-year

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:48 pm

Jchance wrote:Take the in-house/small law gig and try to negotiate the USAO internship for school-year

The problem with that option is that the job is not in the same city as my law school.... I appreciate the insight though. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:25 pm

I was hired in the USAO office in a major east coast market for my 1L summer as well as my 2L Fall. I was hired without any grades or even an interview (they requested my Fall and Spring transcripts after I received my offer). During orientation, we went around the room and everyone stated where they went to law school. There was a complete diversity of schools represented (in both ranking and geography). What I'm trying to say is that the hiring doesn't seem to be school/rank/gpa related at all. I will say that my fellow interns and I mostly had pre-law school professional experience. I worked as a paralegal at a firm prior to starting school, which I think had a lot to do with my getting hired.

As far as getting hired here after law school, their policy is they don't take anyone right out of school. To be competetive, most applicants have worked for several years in Biglaw or as a DA, and almost all of them have clerked at (at least) the district court level. There is, however, no clear "path" to get here, as it depends entirely on who the Acting U.S. Attorney is at the time you apply. Some prefer applicants with a lot of prior prosecutorial experience, while some seem to prefer Biglaw associates. The real key is to know someone in the office that will push your resume to the top of the pile.

As a practical matter for me, having the internsip on my resume was huge during OCI. Every firm I interviewed with asked me about it (many interviewers were former AUSA's themselves). My plan is to work at my V30 firm for a few years and then try to make the leap to USAO using the contacts i've made during my internship. Hope this was helpful.

Return to “Legal Employment”