Working and living in Washington DC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Working and living in Washington DC

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:20 pm

For anyone who has lived in or around the DC area, could you suggest affordable furnished 2bdrm housing? I've looked and the DC core is way over budget. I don't mind a longer commute, but just need something that is close to train or bus or whatever.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sup Kid

Re: Working and living in Washington DC

Postby Sup Kid » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:29 pm

a) What part of DC are you going to be working in/attending school?

b) Do you mean a couple living together or 2 people that want their own rooms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:31 pm

Look in MD, there are plenty of stops off the metro (the main artery of DC) that also stop in MD. Parts of VA (Fairfax and Alexandria) also have stops along the metro.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:33 pm

Sup Kid wrote:a) What part of DC are you going to be working in/attending school?

b) Do you mean a couple living together or 2 people that want their own rooms?

2 bedrooms. We'll be working around the White House area, if that makes sense. I need access to the Metro.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Look in MD, there are plenty of stops off the metro (the main artery of DC) that also stop in MD. Parts of VA (Fairfax and Alexandria) also have stops along the metro.

Hope this helps!

Anywhere in particular in MD?

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:37 pm

Screw MD. Just live in arlington.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:41 pm

Having a hard time finding something that is a) near the metro, b) furnished 2 bedroom, and c) under 2600. Must I raise the cap higher?

npe

Postby npe » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:56 pm

Does it need to be furnished? You can probably buy a couple of cheap beds and still save on rent. Are you looking at complexes and on craigslist (including the sublet page)? Maryland has Rockville, Silver Spring, etc. Virginia has Arlington, Falls Church. Also consider whether you could live a bit farther from the Metro if you're near a bus station that could take you to the train (I'm thinking Fairfax, but the bus system is pretty extensive).

dood

Postby dood » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:23 am

OP: housing like wat u want exists in DC, but u must be super quick to get it. shit that goes on craigslist gets rented within 24 hours, a lot of times less.

i had to do ALOT of searching, but i live in adams morgan (see the upper red star) and pay $2300 for a NICE 2 bd (hardwood floors, marble counters, SS appliances, all utilities included). i have friends who live near the white house (see the lower red star) and pay approx. $2000 for a decent 2BD.

my advice:
1. go on craiglist every morning at 8-9AM, call when possible, send out emails otherwise - make a spreadsheet with links/phone #s, names, address, etc
2. search in the area i outlined for u (without going into details, it is objectively the best)
3. make it clear that u want to look at a place the same day and willing to sign a lease on the same day if all looks well
4. PROFIT
5. if ur too lazy to find nice housing in central DC, just move to arlington, MD, etc.

--ImageRemoved--

npe

Postby npe » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:25 am

dood wrote:OP: housing like wat u want exists in DC, but u must be super quick to get it. shit that goes on craigslist gets rented within 24 hours, a lot of times less.

i had to do ALOT of searching, but i live in adams morgan (see the upper red star) and pay $2300 for a NICE 2 bd (hardwood floors, marble counters, SS appliances, all utilities included). i have friends who live near the white house (see the lower red star) and pay approx. $2000 for a decent 2BD.

my advice:
1. go on craiglist every morning at 8-9AM, call when possible, send out emails otherwise - make a spreadsheet with links/phone #s, names, address, etc
2. search in the area i outlined for u (without going into details, it is objectively the best)
3. make it clear that u want to look at a place the same day and willing to sign a lease on the same day if all looks well
4. PROFIT
5. if ur too lazy to find nice housing in central DC, just move to arlington, MD, etc.

This is so credited it isn't even funny. I just rented a new place in Eastern Market after weeks of searching (imagine the impact of that on school), and dood's advice is pretty much the only way to find a decent place for a good price. Apartments in DC go lightning-fast; most of the good places were taken by the time we were supposed to show up for our appointment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:28 am

dood wrote:OP: housing like wat u want exists in DC, but u must be super quick to get it. shit that goes on craigslist gets rented within 24 hours, a lot of times less.

my advice:
4. PROFIT

--ImageRemoved--

Very nice. Thank you. But are you accounting for furnished accommodations? We'll be living there for 10 weeks so I'm unsure if the differential is large enough b/w furnished and unfurnished rent over 10 weeks for us to buy cheap furniture instead and rent an unfurnished place.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:30 am

Everything above is credited. Honestly, if you have a summer internship (which is what I'm assuming because you only need 10 weeks) it'll be a lot easier to find 2 cheap studios in Capital South/Eastern Market than a 2-bedroom for you and your friend.

Edit: For $1300 each you can get studios near Foggy Bottom, Dupont, Adams Morgan, or U Street, and be close to all the places you'll want to be for going out, and have Metro access.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:33 pm

Just live in the GW dorms, they open up their dorms for summer interns, etc. They're furnished, most are apartment style, and will run you about 3k per person. Comparing that to 1300/month for two and a half months is roughly comparable, plus you're right in Foggy Bottom.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:42 pm

5ky wrote:Just live in the GW dorms, they open up their dorms for summer interns, etc. They're furnished, most are apartment style, and will run you about 3k per person. Comparing that to 1300/month for two and a half months is roughly comparable, plus you're right in Foggy Bottom.

NVM. Thanks so much. Very useful info.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paisaaa

Postby paisaaa » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:Just live in the GW dorms, they open up their dorms for summer interns, etc. They're furnished, most are apartment style, and will run you about 3k per person. Comparing that to 1300/month for two and a half months is roughly comparable, plus you're right in Foggy Bottom.

Link to where I can research more about these dorms?

http://summerhousing.gwu.edu/individual/

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:49 pm

This is credited. If not look in VA rather than MD for apartments if you have to leave the city.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:02 pm

valengina wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is Group 3 Doubles housing akin to a 2 bedroom apartment? That's what it sounds like, but just want to make sure.

paisaaa

Postby paisaaa » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
valengina wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is Group 3 Doubles housing akin to a 2 bedroom apartment? That's what it sounds like, but just want to make sure.

Sort of. Keep in mind these are (albeit nice) college dorms. I can speak to Ivory Tower and Amsterdam Hall because I've lived in each as a student. Both buildings are VERY new and the location is great -- Amsterdam is a block from Foggy Bottom metro and Ivory tower is just one block further away. The bedrooms themselves aren't very roomy and don't have a whole lot of storage space if you're sharing it with another person (that's the set up for students). I don't know if they rent them out as singles (meaning each person would have their own bedroom) but that would be a pretty good get, IMO. The living room is normal sized (again, think dorm) there's no separate dining area, just a table in the kitchen which is pretty roomy and comes with a full sized fridge.

I don't know much about the other buildings but I have been in City Hall. It's about two blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro (in the other direction - closer to Georgetown and about two block from Trader Joe's which is a big plus, you'll also feel more isolated from campus and the whole UG vibe). City Hall is a dorm that used to be a hotel. I've visited a couple times and the university didn't do much to make it look any less like a hotel. Whether that's what you're looking for or not is up to you, just use it as a point of reference.

If you're going to look for a place outside of DC, VA is really nice, especially parts of Arlington like Clarendon which are accessible by metro and still have charming little downtown areas to eat, drink and shop.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:21 pm

valengina wrote:
Sort of. Keep in mind these are (albeit nice) college dorms. I can speak to Ivory Tower and Amsterdam Hall because I've lived in each as a student. Both buildings are VERY new and the location is great -- Amsterdam is a block from Foggy Bottom metro and Ivory tower is just one block further away. The bedrooms themselves aren't very roomy and don't have a whole lot of storage space if you're sharing it with another person (that's the set up for students). I don't know if they rent them out as singles (meaning each person would have their own bedroom) but that would be a pretty good get, IMO. The living room is normal sized (again, think dorm) there's no separate dining area, just a table in the kitchen which is pretty roomy and comes with a full sized fridge.

I don't know much about the other buildings but I have been in City Hall. It's about two blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro (in the other direction - closer to Georgetown and about two block from Trader Joe's which is a big plus, you'll also feel more isolated from campus and the whole UG vibe). City Hall is a dorm that used to be a hotel. I've visited a couple times and the university didn't do much to make it look any less like a hotel. Whether that's what you're looking for or not is up to you, just use it as a point of reference.

If you're going to look for a place outside of DC, VA is really nice, especially parts of Arlington like Clarendon which are accessible by metro and still have charming little downtown areas to eat, drink and shop.

Hope this helps!

They say the rooms are "doubles" so I assume there are 2 bedrooms per common area. Amsterdam is the one I'm most interested in living with City Hall right behind it. Ivory Tower is 3rd choice. Could you elaborate a bit more on the layout of City Hall? I wish they had pictures... I don't mind a hotel-room type layout or whatever as long as I have a private kitchen/bathroom.

You say the bedrooms aren't roomy if I'm sharing it with another person, but I don't intend to rent only one room for 2 people. We'd be renting 1 bedroom per person so I guess that would make it a lot easier, no? And is there a television included? If not, any suggestions where I can rent one? I just need it for watching movies from my laptop. Don't need cable.

edit: Oh, and you emphasize they're college dorms. But I'm under the impression that if I rent out a double, it will be just like I'm living in a 2 bedroom apartment. Am I mistaken?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:26 pm

look at padmapper.com

it utilizes craigslist and other apartment search sites and allows you to get a better idea of locality. it also compares prices in and around the area, etc. its a great tool

paisaaa

Postby paisaaa » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
valengina wrote:

Hope this helps!

They say the rooms are "doubles" so I assume there are 2 bedrooms per common area. Amsterdam is the one I'm most interested in living with City Hall right behind it. Ivory Tower is 3rd choice. Could you elaborate a bit more on the layout of City Hall? I wish they had pictures... I don't mind a hotel-room type layout or whatever as long as I have a private kitchen/bathroom.

You say the bedrooms aren't roomy if I'm sharing it with another person, but I don't intend to rent only one room for 2 people. We'd be renting 1 bedroom per person so I guess that would make it a lot easier, no? And is there a television included? If not, any suggestions where I can rent one? I just need it for watching movies from my laptop.

Your plan to rent 1 bedroom per person seems solid. TVs aren't included but you should be able to find one on Craig's List (people are always giving old ones away).

Floor plans for City Hall: http://living.gwu.edu/floorplans/cityhall/

Still, I'd recommend Amsterdam Hall over City Hall.

paisaaa

Postby paisaaa » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:33 pm

Edit: aahh I suck at quoting text but this is in response to your edit.

I just meant the floors aren't hardwood, you're going to be seeing students, etc. But yes, you can definitely class it up and make it feel like home.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:35 pm

valengina wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
valengina wrote:

Hope this helps!

You say the bedrooms aren't roomy if I'm sharing it with another person, but I don't intend to rent only one room for 2 people. We'd be renting 1 bedroom per person so I guess that would make it a lot easier, no? And is there a television included? If not, any suggestions where I can rent one? I just need it for watching movies from my laptop.

Your plan to rent 1 bedroom per person seems solid. TVs aren't included but you should be able to find one on Craig's List (people are always giving old ones away).

Floor plans for City Hall: http://living.gwu.edu/floorplans/cityhall/

Still, I'd recommend Amsterdam Hall over City Hall.

You've been an immense help. Thank you so much!

Only reason I'd prefer City Hall is that you said it's closer to Trader Joe's. But you're right, we'll be a bit more isolated. BTW, could you tell me how much a Metro pass would be for 10 weeks? Just trying to budget the main things...

paisaaa

Postby paisaaa » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:53 pm

I'm glad! I'm glad!

As far as locations in respect to TJs are concerned, Amsterdam Hall isn't all that far either. It's roughly four blocks away and has the added bonus of also being 2 -3 blocks from Safeway, so you have options. I also felt more isolated living in Amsterdam Hall than I did in Ivory Tower; it's on the periphery of campus near a really nice residential area (behind 24th street - row houses and apartments) and doesn't get a lot of the student hustle and bustle most other dorms do.

Metrorail fares: http://www.wmata.com/fares/metrorail.cfm

And don't forget the Circulator! It's a red bus you can ride with your SmarTrip and only costs 1 dollar! It goes all over the city. Buy a SmarTrip once you get to DC, you can pick them up at Metro Center (but the lines are usually uber long) so you're better off just getting them at a local CVS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:00 pm

valengina wrote:I'm glad! I'm glad!

As far as locations in respect to TJs are concerned, Amsterdam Hall isn't all that far either. It's roughly four blocks away and has the added bonus of also being 2 -3 blocks from Safeway, so you have options. I also felt more isolated living in Amsterdam Hall than I did in Ivory Tower; it's on the periphery of campus near a really nice residential area (behind 24th street - row houses and apartments) and doesn't get a lot of the student hustle and bustle most other dorms do.

Metrorail fares: http://www.wmata.com/fares/metrorail.cfm

And don't forget the Circulator! It's a red bus you can ride with your SmarTrip and only costs 1 dollar! It goes all over the city. Buy a SmarTrip once you get to DC, you can pick them up at Metro Center (but the lines are usually uber long) so you're better off just getting them at a local CVS.

Good points all around. I browsed the Metrorail website and am disappointed to see no unlimited 30 day card for graduate students. Is there no choice but to pay the fare each time? The 7-day pass may be a better deal, but I'd have to do some math. Just wished there was some better deal on the fares.

Return to “Legal Employment”