What do judicial clerks say they do for a living?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Renzo

Re: What do judicial clerks say they do for a living?

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:05 am

JusticeJackson wrote:This reminds me of when I told my girlfriend I had landed a clerkship and she asked me if that meant I had found a job as a secretary. I tried to explain how big of a deal it was to her and she asked me why I would quit a much higher paying job, study a ton, and then take such a low paying "temporary" job. After that I started telling people that I worked for a judge, and one night her boss asked me if I ironed the judge's robes.

Do you iron his robes?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:18 am

LOL I'd iron my judge's robes every week if I was guaranteed a federal clerkship.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:21 am

A'nold wrote:LOL I'd iron my judge's robes every week if I was guaranteed a federal clerkship.

I'd do a lot more than iron robes...

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:35 am

OGR3 wrote:
A'nold wrote:LOL I'd iron my judge's robes every week if I was guaranteed a federal clerkship.

I'd do a lot more than iron robes...

Oh, I hear you man, let's take this to the lounge.... 8)

Question: What would you be willing to do if the judge was Janet Reno........

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:31 pm

Dude, if you 1) Clerk AND 2) Pass the bar, then you're a lawyer. I'm clerking, and if I pass the bar, I plan on telling people I'm a lawyer if they ask what I do, because, well, that's what I'll be.

Then when they ask "what law do you practice" I say, I work for a judge in the X Division/Level.

Also, like XSpykex said, long before I started the law school app process and such, I had no idea what the hell a law clerk, nor did anyone else.

And aside from wanting to sound more "prestigious" than "law clerk", I can legitimately understand why someone would not want to describe themselves that way to people because to someone not familiar with law, I think they would assume you are a secretary or file clerk. That's what clerking means in just about every other field. So I can understand OP's curiosity.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:32 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:This reminds me of when I told my girlfriend I had landed a clerkship and she asked me if that meant I had found a job as a secretary. I tried to explain how big of a deal it was to her and she asked me why I would quit a much higher paying job, study a ton, and then take such a low paying "temporary" job. After that I started telling people that I worked for a judge, and one night her boss asked me if I ironed the judge's robes.

I remember trying to explain how great your opportunities are after you clerk for SCOTUS.

Her response,"Why? I mean, aren't you just his assistant or something?"

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:01 pm

I still think people here are way to hung up on what laypersons think of them. If you get a clerkship and you have to explain it to a layperson, you should be able to do it succinctly in 2 sentences. If they still don't get it, then you probably shouldn't put much weight into what they think of you.

Return to “Legal Employment”