Dream job in wrong location

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Dream job in wrong location

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:16 am

I got the summer offer of my dreams today. However, it's in a location I really don't want to be in. It's with an international, awesome NGO that I really want to work with. I'm also assigned to a project that is very closely related to what I want to do when I finish.
One big problem: The NGO has 3 main offices, and I'm assigned to the one I don't want. I put it as my last choice, and it's the only one they want me to work at. It completely makes sense, given that my language ability/background make me the best candidate for that one. However, I want to get away from working there. I don't want my resume to pigeonhole me, and this job is basically screaming "I want to work in xxxxx" upon graduation.
Any opinions on whether I should take it? Getting the offer transferred to another office is probably impossible at this point, and I think I'm going to kick myself if I pass it up.

Younger Abstention

Re: Dream job in wrong location

Postby Younger Abstention » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:37 pm

Why don't you suck it up, it's just for a summer.

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:13 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:Why don't you suck it up, it's just for a summer.

This. Do the summer, impress people, build a good name within the org so you can apply to the offices you do want later.

Postby rose711 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:36 pm

I think that a dream job in the wrong location is a much better proposition for a summer than the wrong job in a dream location. Could be wrong - but how many dream jobs are out there? Take this one and go for it.

Return to “Legal Employment”