Foreign Big Law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Foreign Big Law?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:13 am

Edit: don't want to be outed since a few classmates know. To the response below, I will PM you
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

sven
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:11 am

Re: Foreign Big Law?

Postby sven » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:39 am

-
Last edited by sven on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Foreign Big Law?

Postby tea_drinker » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:58 pm

I am interested in this topic as well. OP, can you pm what you found/know? tyia

User avatar
FantasticMrFox
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Foreign Big Law?

Postby FantasticMrFox » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:18 pm

tea_drinker wrote:I am interested in this topic as well. OP, can you pm what you found/know? tyia

me too! :wink:

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Foreign Big Law?

Postby dpk711 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Me too!

User avatar
theturkeyisfat
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:04 am

Re: Foreign Big Law?

Postby theturkeyisfat » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Edit: don't want to be outed since a few classmates know. To the response below, I will PM you


i'm curious about what you originally posted. can you fill me in?

User avatar
FantasticMrFox
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Foreign Big Law?

Postby FantasticMrFox » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:09 am

theturkeyisfat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Edit: don't want to be outed since a few classmates know. To the response below, I will PM you


i'm curious about what you originally posted. can you fill me in?

from the second post, we can assume he was talking about a job/internship at a firm overseas, most likely UK or some other english-speaking country (I hope, because if it was HongKong or some other place, the information would be useless for me seeing I only know English and French :()

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Foreign Big Law?

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:26 am

Ok, instead of waiting for OP to share, which hasn't happened to me yet, I did a search and combed through the results. Here are some threads that I found informative. Enjoy everyone!

Working in Asia
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=116222
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=120055
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135985

Working in Europe:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104114

Working internationally when you are a PI junky:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=149331

Thinking about contacting firms when you are an 0L, check this first:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=125841

Several threads on how helpful being bilingual is (although I will say take them with a grain of salt):
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=144383
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=138421
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=154676

Edit to add: If anyone knows about how to obtain a SA or FT position in a US firm's foreign office, please chime in. tyia

Curry

Re: Foreign Big Law?

Postby Curry » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:29 am

tea_drinker wrote:Ok, instead of waiting for OP to share, which hasn't happened to me yet, I did a search and combed through the results. Here are some threads that I found informative. Enjoy everyone!

Working in Asia
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=116222
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=120055
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135985

Working in Europe:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104114

Working internationally when you are a PI junky:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=149331

Thinking about contacting firms when you are an 0L, check this first:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=125841

Several threads on how helpful being bilingual is (although I will say take them with a grain of salt):
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=144383
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=138421
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=154676

Edit to add: If anyone knows about how to obtain a SA or FT position in a US firm's foreign office, please chime in. tyia

Excellent. Thank you.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Foreign Big Law?

Postby dpk711 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:30 am

Curry wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:Ok, instead of waiting for OP to share, which hasn't happened to me yet, I did a search and combed through the results. Here are some threads that I found informative. Enjoy everyone!

Working in Asia
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=116222
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=120055
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135985

Working in Europe:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104114

Working internationally when you are a PI junky:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=149331

Thinking about contacting firms when you are an 0L, check this first:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=125841

Several threads on how helpful being bilingual is (although I will say take them with a grain of salt):
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=144383
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=138421
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=154676

Edit to add: If anyone knows about how to obtain a SA or FT position in a US firm's foreign office, please chime in. tyia

Excellent. Thank you.

Thanks!

User avatar
FantasticMrFox
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Foreign Big Law?

Postby FantasticMrFox » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:34 am

tea_drinker wrote:Ok, instead of waiting for OP to share, which hasn't happened to me yet, I did a search and combed through the results. Here are some threads that I found informative. Enjoy everyone!

Working in Asia
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=116222
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=120055
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135985

Working in Europe:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104114

Working internationally when you are a PI junky:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=149331

Thinking about contacting firms when you are an 0L, check this first:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=125841

Several threads on how helpful being bilingual is (although I will say take them with a grain of salt):
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=144383
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=138421
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=154676

Edit to add: If anyone knows about how to obtain a SA or FT position in a US firm's foreign office, please chime in. tyia

Nice! Although I took some glances at most of the threads and it's not very helpful (not many people have experience in the particular interest). However, there was one post by 'General Tso' who talked about how he knew people who had SA position at biglaw international offices--DLA Piper in Paris, specifically. More research time! :D

(an SA position in paris would make me...delirious)
Last edited by FantasticMrFox on Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: Foreign Big Law?

Postby bhan87 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:34 am

tea_drinker wrote:Ok, instead of waiting for OP to share, which hasn't happened to me yet, I did a search and combed through the results. Here are some threads that I found informative. Enjoy everyone!

Working in Asia
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=116222
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=120055
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135985

Working in Europe:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104114

Working internationally when you are a PI junky:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=149331

Thinking about contacting firms when you are an 0L, check this first:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=125841

Several threads on how helpful being bilingual is (although I will say take them with a grain of salt):
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=144383
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=138421
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=154676

Edit to add: If anyone knows about how to obtain a SA or FT position in a US firm's foreign office, please chime in. tyia


Great compilation, thanks!

Curry

Re: Foreign Big Law?

Postby Curry » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:35 am

FantasticMrFox wrote:Nice! Although I took some glances at most of the threads and it's not very helpful (not many people have experience in the particular interest). However, there was one post by 'General Tso' who talked about how he knew people who had SA position at biglaw international offices--DLA Piper in Paris, specifically. More research time! :D

You should get to know him. He's a real pleasure.

User avatar
FantasticMrFox
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Foreign Big Law?

Postby FantasticMrFox » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:37 am

Curry wrote:
FantasticMrFox wrote:Nice! Although I took some glances at most of the threads and it's not very helpful (not many people have experience in the particular interest). However, there was one post by 'General Tso' who talked about how he knew people who had SA position at biglaw international offices--DLA Piper in Paris, specifically. More research time! :D

You should get to know him. He's a real pleasure.

Really? or sarcasm :shock:
The chinese food, general tso, is actually pretty good ha

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Foreign Big Law?

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:45 am

FantasticMrFox wrote:
Curry wrote:
FantasticMrFox wrote:Nice! Although I took some glances at most of the threads and it's not very helpful (not many people have experience in the particular interest). However, there was one post by 'General Tso' who talked about how he knew people who had SA position at biglaw international offices--DLA Piper in Paris, specifically. More research time! :D

You should get to know him. He's a real pleasure.

Really? or sarcasm :shock:
The chinese food, general tso, is actually pretty good ha


:lol: on the comment about generaltso.

There are a few other posters who seem to have some experience. Read through some of them again, and you will see. Although, these threads are very limited. I wish that we can have more info.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Foreign Big Law?

Postby stratocophic » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:17 am

tea_drinker wrote:
FantasticMrFox wrote:
Curry wrote:
FantasticMrFox wrote:Nice! Although I took some glances at most of the threads and it's not very helpful (not many people have experience in the particular interest). However, there was one post by 'General Tso' who talked about how he knew people who had SA position at biglaw international offices--DLA Piper in Paris, specifically. More research time! :D

You should get to know him. He's a real pleasure.

Really? or sarcasm :shock:
The chinese food, general tso, is actually pretty good ha


:lol: on the comment about generaltso.

There are a few other posters who seem to have some experience. Read through some of them again, and you will see. Although, these threads are very limited. I wish that we can have more info.
He was banned after getting apoplectic, as he was wont to do. We all miss him tso much...

User avatar
FantasticMrFox
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Foreign Big Law?

Postby FantasticMrFox » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:33 pm

stratocophic wrote:He was banned after getting apoplectic, as he was wont to do. We all miss him tso much...

Heh...(oh and I want a PM, anon OP :P)




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.