NY County DA 1L Summer Internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NY County DA 1L Summer Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:16 pm

I have an upcoming interview and was hoping previous interns/applicants could share types of questions they asked/how to prepare/etc.

Also, in general, I suspect I am a terrible interviewer. I always feel too tense. I have scheduled a meeting/mock-interview with career services but I would appreciate any general interview advice. Maybe I don't prepare well enough? I am not even sure how to adequately prepare for an interview like this.

Thanks for all your help.

Anonymous User

Re: NY County DA 1L Summer Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:51 pm

I'm a 1L who recently had an interview there.

The interview was no big deal. Mainly a run-down of the points on your resume, "tell me about X," "how'd you like Y" kind of thing. No real tough questions or curveballs; I had read elsewhere about candidates getting asked about hypos, but I didn't really. YMMV depending on the ADA you interview with. Be prepared to talk about why you want to be in NYC, why you want to do prosecution, why this office in particular, and to relate any skills you've developed from prior experience that might be relevant.

I think being tense and nervous is pretty much par for the course. I'd say talk to your career office for any more specific advice and do a mock interview if you can (though I have never done this myself), but otherwise try not to sweat feeling unprepared. I think there's something to be said for not overpreparing; you can come off a bit mechanical if you've got a bulleted list in your head of things you have to squeeze into every response, particularly since you'll still be nervous. Good luck. It seems like a great internship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:06 pm

P.S., just a heads up -- nobody really calls it the NY County DA, but rather the Manhattan DA. You probably knew this, but just in case you're not from around here it's worth keeping in mind, if it comes up in conversation. One of those things that could peg you as a little out of touch with the city, like Houston Street.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1L who recently had an interview there.

The interview was no big deal. Mainly a run-down of the points on your resume, "tell me about X," "how'd you like Y" kind of thing. No real tough questions or curveballs; I had read elsewhere about candidates getting asked about hypos, but I didn't really. YMMV depending on the ADA you interview with. Be prepared to talk about why you want to be in NYC, why you want to do prosecution, why this office in particular, and to relate any skills you've developed from prior experience that might be relevant.

I think being tense and nervous is pretty much par for the course. I'd say talk to your career office for any more specific advice and do a mock interview if you can (though I have never done this myself), but otherwise try not to sweat feeling unprepared. I think there's something to be said for not overpreparing; you can come off a bit mechanical if you've got a bulleted list in your head of things you have to squeeze into every response, particularly since you'll still be nervous. Good luck. It seems like a great internship.

Thanks for your advice and help. Have you already heard back or do you know when you plan on hearing back? And do you know to what extent 1L grades/previous litigation (or other work) experience plays into their decision making? From my searching this forum, it seems that others have suggested that they don't care too much about school/grades (or that it's only one piece of the puzzle), but I don't really know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:51 pm

Anyone know if 2L interviews are done differently than 1L interviews? I have an interview this week, and it's definitely my top choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:42 pm

I also have a interview with Manhattan DA in a few weeks. Just a quick question: what sort of questions would be appropriate to ask the interviewer at the end of the interview? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I also have a interview with Manhattan DA in a few weeks. Just a quick question: what sort of questions would be appropriate to ask the interviewer at the end of the interview? Thanks.

I interviewed a few years ago as a 1L and didn't get hired. I think they interview a ton of people. It's actually harder to get an internship there than to be hired as an ADA.

I'd ask basic questions about what a typical day is like. What kind of assignments you get. How they're given out. Opportunities to observe court. Etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for your advice and help. Have you already heard back or do you know when you plan on hearing back? And do you know to what extent 1L grades/previous litigation (or other work) experience plays into their decision making? From my searching this forum, it seems that others have suggested that they don't care too much about school/grades (or that it's only one piece of the puzzle), but I don't really know.

First anon responder here.

I have not heard back, though it has not been very long since my interview. Both the hiring staff and the ADA stressed that they were unable to provide even a rough timeframe. Not to be discouraging, but I definitely got the sense they're interviewing a lot of people relative to the number of jobs, i.e., a lot of the weeding out will occur between interview and offer, rather than between application and interview.

As far as what they're looking for... who knows, really? I can only guess. FWIW, I'm at a T6, didn't have grades back yet at the time I interviewed. I have some experience that I could relate meaningfully to working at the DA, and I think that garnered some positive interest from my interviewer, but again, it's really impossible to say. I could be everything they don't want and get dinged tomorrow. Not a very satisfying response I'm sure. I do think they want people who have nontrivial reasons to be in NYC, and in prosecution/law enforcement/criminal law, beyond merely the perceived prestige of the office.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I definitely got the sense they're interviewing a lot of people relative to the number of jobs, i.e., a lot of the weeding out will occur between interview and offer, rather than between application and interview.

that's not great news. i also have an interview coming up with them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:07 pm

We need to just sticky a DANY thread to the top. I interned there as a 1L, and I think I remember them saying 2000 applied and they interviewed ~400 for the 50 intern spots. I think there were like 20 1L's and 30 2L's. It was an amazing experience, good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:We need to just sticky a DANY thread to the top. I interned there as a 1L, and I think I remember them saying 2000 applied and they interviewed ~400 for the 50 intern spots. I think there were like 20 1L's and 30 2L's. It was an amazing experience, good luck!

Thanks for the information! Do you mind sharing your interview experience? When you heard back? Etc. thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:52 pm

Anyone receive an offer? Its odd the "HR" type told me what has been echoed on the board--that there is no timeframe--but my interviewer told me I should have a response in < 3 weeks. Has this happened to anyone? Can any meaning be gleaned from this or is it just that each hand doesn't know what the other is saying?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anonymous User wrote:
I definitely got the sense they're interviewing a lot of people relative to the number of jobs, i.e., a lot of the weeding out will occur between interview and offer, rather than between application and interview.

that's not great news. i also have an interview coming up with them.

...I got the same vibe. When I showed up I saw that the office is very efficient about the process: several of us had interviews at the same time and were dispatched to different rooms to interview. Granted I've never interviewed at such a large agency but there was definitely a sense that the weeding out hasn't yet begun.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone receive an offer? Its odd the "HR" type told me what has been echoed on the board--that there is no timeframe--but my interviewer told me I should have a response in < 3 weeks. Has this happened to anyone? Can any meaning be gleaned from this or is it just that each hand doesn't know what the other is saying?

I know at least one person has gotten an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:09 pm

Resuscitating this thread.

Recently found out that the Manhattan DA called my references. Does anyone have a sense of how well this bodes?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:12 pm

(Former Intern) They call everyone's references.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:15 pm

I interviewed last week. My interviewer didn't give me a time frame, but she did say that it was very competitive for 1L summer (since they take more 2Ls) and that if I don't get it this year, I should definitely apply again next year. I wasn't sure how to interpret that.

I know they've been interviewing for several weeks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:02 am

Not sure how accurate this is for 1L program (I'm a 2L, but I can't imagine their process would be very different), but I heard nothing for almost a month after my interview, then got an offer within an hour after telling them about a very short deadline from another employer. Might simply want to make sure they're your first choice before extending offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure how accurate this is for 1L program (I'm a 2L, but I can't imagine their process would be very different), but I heard nothing for almost a month after my interview, then got an offer within an hour after telling them about a very short deadline from another employer. Might simply want to make sure they're your first choice before extending offer.

I had a similar experience (2L also), although it's my understanding they were checking my references before I made this call. Shorter turnaround for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:33 pm

Had my references called after 3L screening interview. Didn't make 2nd round.

Return to “Legal Employment”