1L biglaw interview - what does this mean? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L biglaw interview - what does this mean?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:23 pm

I applied to a bunch of firms at the beginning of January, figuring a long shot was better than no shot. I have a significant amount of work in another field, a graduate degree, etc. I got a call from one almost immediately after sending the e-mail saying they wanted to interview me ASAP. Unfortunately, due to their interview times and my class schedule, the soonest time it could be scheduled was the beginning of February. What does it mean that they wanted me there right away, if anything?

Edited cause I forgot to mention I go to a T14 school.

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: 1L biglaw interview - what does this mean?

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied to a bunch of firms at the beginning of January, figuring a long shot was better than no shot. I have a significant amount of work in another field, a graduate degree, etc. I got a call from one almost immediately after sending the e-mail saying they wanted to interview me ASAP. Unfortunately, due to their interview times and my class schedule, the soonest time it could be scheduled was the beginning of February. What does it mean that they wanted me there right away, if anything?

They plan to make you an equity partner.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:37 pm

It doesn't mean anything. As you'll no doubt discover during OCI, law students are obsessed with finding explanations for every little occurrence during the hiring process.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied to a bunch of firms at the beginning of January, figuring a long shot was better than no shot. I have a significant amount of work in another field, a graduate degree, etc. I got a call from one almost immediately after sending the e-mail saying they wanted to interview me ASAP. Unfortunately, due to their interview times and my class schedule, the soonest time it could be scheduled was the beginning of February. What does it mean that they wanted me there right away, if anything?

Skip class for an interview! Good stuff, what firm? (So I can apply too) hahahaha

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What does it mean . . . ?"

Double-rainbow

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:00 pm

Something very similar happened to me, in about the same time-frame. Wonder if it's the same firm.

Anyways, class < interview.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyways, class < interview.

Yea, TCR dood, but with one qualification. 1L summer employment is probably determinative of future employment success about 1-2% of the time. So long as you're doing something law-related, you're fine. I'd bet that at least once, a SCOTUS clerk and a Starbucks barrista had the same/comparable 1L summer jorbs. In most cases, your grades are infinitely more important than anything else on your resume (unless you go to HYS, etc...). 1Ls have a vested interest to do well, so miss class accordingly. That's not to say that missing class is even remotely close to a big deal. Because of OCI/CBs, I didn't go to class regularly during 2L fall until like early-October...missed soooo much class, but exams were fine. Thus, while missing class is usually NBD, don't let it affect your 1L grade performance.

Notwithstanding that distinction, I still think that for 1Ls, the rule of thumb (especially next fall for you) is that interviews > class.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:48 pm

I also am at a T14 with two biglaw interviews coming up. They are both 4 hours long...callback-style. People I've spoken to tell me that's a good sign, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I also am at a T14 with two biglaw interviews coming up. They are both 4 hours long...callback-style. People I've spoken to tell me that's a good sign, but I don't want to get my hopes up.
Jesus, what could they ask you about for 4 hours?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:26 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

They plan to make you an equity partner.
lol. Very nice.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:29 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I also am at a T14 with two biglaw interviews coming up. They are both 4 hours long...callback-style. People I've spoken to tell me that's a good sign, but I don't want to get my hopes up.
It may include a 1 1/2 (or so) hour lunch.

For my interviews (callback style) it was 30 minute blocks with different people, they want as many people as possible to meet/evaluate you so they can figure out if you would be a good fit.

CLS2011

New

Post by CLS2011 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:04 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
A lot of different people asking you the same things in 20 or 30 minute blocks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:22 pm

did you submit your grades for those of you who have gotten interviews?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:did you submit your grades for those of you who have gotten interviews?
Yes. This is the person who wrote above about having two interviews. I have a 4.0.

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:42 pm

CLS2011 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
what kind of major questions are likely to be asked?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:did you submit your grades for those of you who have gotten interviews?
Yes. This is the person who wrote above about having two interviews. I have a 4.0.
If you have a 4.0 at a T-14 then, it probably means that they want to lock you down before another firm does.

P.S. I hate you.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:43 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
they get into the intricacies of the law and philosophical soul searches. this is followed by a 2 hr staring session where the first person to 'break' loses. you dont want to be the loser. it's to test your resolve because lord knows you'll need that sort of determination once you're in biglaw.

oh, and at the end, they ask you the most important question: who would in a fist fight, chuck norris or vin diesal?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:48 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:
CLS2011 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
"I see you did X, Y, Z on your resume - tell me about that."

"What can I tell you about [insert firm name here]?"

"How do you like living in X, Y, Z city? (measuring your interest in the market)"

"Tell me about your thesis."

Basically looking to see that you can say something meaningful in an interview setting/don't clam up/they wouldn't mind sharing a pizza with you at 2am doing doc review (in the case of junior-level associates).

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:52 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:
CLS2011 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/273595054.html

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:06 am

CLS2011 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
One of the interviews I had involved meeting separately with 4 attorneys. Typically each asked me to tell them about myself, asked general questions, but the last attorney wanted me to ask him questions for the entire 30 minutes and didn't ask me anything. Not sure if that's typical, but definitely a good reason to be prepared and look up as much info on the attorneys beforehand as possible. Fortunately I had read about one of his big cases he had worked on and could keep the conversation flowing, but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:16 am

This all seems pretty useful. However, I have a specific question, wondering if anybody can help:

I have a interview with a Firm in my hometown area for a 1L SA job coming up. I have no grades yet (HYS) but the contact emailed me and said the interview would be a lunch first with people from the firm and then back to the office for more interviews. How exactly should I treat the lunch portion/ will there be these similar types of questions at the lunch portion?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
CLS2011 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
One of the interviews I had involved meeting separately with 4 attorneys. Typically each asked me to tell them about myself, asked general questions, but the last attorney wanted me to ask him questions for the entire 30 minutes and didn't ask me anything. Not sure if that's typical, but definitely a good reason to be prepared and look up as much info on the attorneys beforehand as possible. Fortunately I had read about one of his big cases he had worked on and could keep the conversation flowing, but it's definitely something to keep in mind.
I had this happen a lot to me. After a while it got kind of annoying because I was asking questions that numerous other interviewers had already answered. Definitely be prepared with as many questions as possible.

Areas of interest include:
- Areas of future growth?
- How has the practice changed in response to the recent downturn?
- What do you look forward to when you come in every day?
- What has kept you here (if they have been with the firm all their career)
- What brought you here (if they're a lateral)
- Can you talk about an interesting case you've worked on and what kind of role junior associates played in it?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:56 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
80% of the time is spent discussing penises.

--ImageRemoved--

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:17 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
My longest OCI interview was 8.5 hours long :lol: Make sure you are well rested before accepting a callback invitation at Cravath.
Veyron wrote:If you have a 4.0 at a T-14 then, it probably means that they want to lock you down before another firm does.
Unlikely. 1L summer firm work is usually given out to diverse candidates, candidates with strong connections to the firm or its clients, candidates with substantial relevant work experience, or candidates with strong credentials looking to return 'home' to smaller legal markets for their 1L summer. There is not an active market for top 1Ls from top law schools at major firms.
Anonymous User wrote:This all seems pretty useful. However, I have a specific question, wondering if anybody can help:

I have a interview with a Firm in my hometown area for a 1L SA job coming up. I have no grades yet (HYS) but the contact emailed me and said the interview would be a lunch first with people from the firm and then back to the office for more interviews. How exactly should I treat the lunch portion/ will there be these similar types of questions at the lunch portion?
It's part of the interview. In most cases, lunch is with very junior attorneys (think: 1st-3rd year associates) who can relate more to the job search process, law school, etc. and answer questions about the day in / day out. You'll chat about your resume, your first semester of law school, and what life at the firm is like. It's more casual and should be treated as such, but it is still a big part of the interview. Don't revert to unprofessional or assume that it's non-evaluative (even if they tell you that it's non-evaluative).

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:28 pm

RPK34 wrote: A lot of different people asking you the same things in 20 or 30 minute blocks.
what kind of major questions are likely to be asked?[/quote]

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/273595054.html[/quote]
website wrote:9. Do you have any questions for us?

What I said: Will I have a key so that I can come in and work on the weekends?

What I thought: Will I have a key so that I can come in and have sex with my girl friend on my desk on the weekends?
^Well played

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”