Beard okay for 1L interview?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BarCliff

Beard okay for 1L interview?

Postby BarCliff » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:52 am

I've had a beard since freshman year of college. I keep it trimmed and clean looking. I hear from everyone that I look better with it.

Would it be seen as unprofessional to sport it to a callback? I went to the firms site and very few people have facial hair, and those that have it were partners

A&O

Re: Beard okay for 1L interview?

Postby A&O » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:16 am

Facial hair is fine if you, as you say, keep it trimmed and clean.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:48 am

BarCliff wrote:I went to the firms site and very few people have facial hair, and those that have it were partners

It's probably safer to take your cues from there rather than an internet message board. If you're that attached to it, then keep it and incur whatever small risk is associated. If you're not attached to it, then hack it and be on the safe side.

A&O

Postby A&O » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:50 am

It's probably safer to take your cues from there rather than an internet message board.

You can say that about everything posted here. But, the point of the internet message board is to convey relevant experiences. Everyone I know with a beard did fine.

Oracl3

Postby Oracl3 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:17 am

no beard.

1evilo.aihpos

Postby 1evilo.aihpos » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:50 am

shave

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:01 pm

yes beard

especially if shaving makes you look like a babyface.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:05 pm

Do you look like either a hippy or terrorist? Shave it.

If not, keep it, and keep it clean. While I have no experience in legal interviews, I have been working for the last eight years and have been on several interview committees and I don't think well kept facial hair has ever been a problem.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Even if the odds of it negatively affecting you are small, why take the risk? More than ever, legal hiring decisions are being made around the margins. So many qualified law students for so few spots, and the smallest things can matter. Will a well trimmed beard likely have any affect? No. But the fact is that it could, and it is within your control to guard against it, so shave it.

And what's more, I don't think I've ever seen a young firm associate with facial hair.

LogosEther

Postby LogosEther » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:45 pm

Agree with romo. I was wondering the same thing because I'm in your same situation and I concluded that I'd rather just get rid of it. Also, think about it this way... If you don't get the job for reasons completely separate from your beard, you'll never know that, and you'll still wonder if your beard was a factor. That would suck.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:56 pm

I was in the same situation my 1L year. No one there had a beard. I shaved but I looked like crap. I got the job.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:59 pm

BarCliff wrote:I've had a beard since freshman year of college. I keep it trimmed and clean looking. I hear from everyone that I look better with it.

Would it be seen as unprofessional to sport it to a callback? I went to the firms site and very few people have facial hair, and those that have it were partners

Depends on the firm culture. I would shave it personally since in my experience in the professional world, there are people/groups who absolutely view it as unprofessional.

plum

Postby plum » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:08 pm

what if he shaves it for the interview but then gets it back once he starts working there? is this sort of switch-and-bait allowed? how would it be dealt with...

NZA

Postby NZA » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:10 pm

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:13 pm

Don't take the chance, shave. Every recruiter will tell you this.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:28 pm

Do you have work experience?

Do you look like an infant without it?

You see what i'm getting at. If no/yes, i'd say leave it if it's clean and you actually look better with it. Adds some gravitas, imho.

A&O

Postby A&O » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:32 pm

Have a beard. Had it during 2L OCI. Interviewers and recruiters even complimented me. Had it during the summer. Got the offer. Seems like a bunch of 0L/1Ls here making a big deal out of nothing.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:40 pm

romothesavior wrote:Even if the odds of it negatively affecting you are small, why take the risk? More than ever, legal hiring decisions are being made around the margins. So many qualified law students for so few spots, and the smallest things can matter. Will a well trimmed beard likely have any affect? No. But the fact is that it could, and it is within your control to guard against it, so shave it.

And what's more, I don't think I've ever seen a young firm associate with facial hair.

This. This so may times it's crazy.

And's its sometimes perceived as disrespectful. You gotta EARN that right to have a beard.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have a beard. Had it during 2L OCI. Interviewers and recruiters even complimented me. Had it during the summer. Got the offer. Seems like a bunch of 0L/1Ls here making a big deal out of nothing.

It's not that it will hurt the op it's th at it can hurt the op and there is no reason to chance it. I am an 0L but I worked in a recruiting office for professions that are similar. Also, why so anon?

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have a beard. Had it during 2L OCI. Interviewers and recruiters even complimented me. Had it during the summer. Got the offer. Seems like a bunch of 0L/1Ls here making a big deal out of nothing.

Where did you work?

A&O

Postby A&O » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:00 pm

Also, why so anon?

Because I'd prefer not to be outed based on my physical characteristics?

h at it can hurt the op and there is no reason to chance it

Anything can hurt the OP. So basically, if he doesn't want to take a chance, he should do nothing at all. Ever. Never.

Right.

A&O

Postby A&O » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:01 pm

megaTTTron wrote:

Where did you work?

I worked at a big law firm, as is pretty much implied by my post. Are you asking for vault range? That seems a little strange. A V5 would care about the beard, but a V15 wouldn't?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anything can hurt the OP. So basically, if he doesn't want to take a chance, he should do nothing at all. Ever. Never.

Right.

Nice straw man. I think we're all just saying that if something can't really help you but can possibly hurt you, you don't do it, even if the risk is low.

But you probably know better than us. Congrats on your offer.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:

Where did you work?

I worked at a big law firm, as is pretty much implied by my post. Are you asking for vault range? That seems a little strange. A V5 would care about the beard, but a V15 wouldn't?

Just because you worked for a firm, with a beard, does not make it normal. Your above post is TERRIBLE advice.

TCR is don't do things to set yourself apart in a way that could be perceived as disrespectful. AKA get a haircut and shave. If you want to make waves or fight the man do it outside of work.

ITT one guy with a beard and an offer misleads. Seriously, good for you man, but don't mislead people.

Return to “Legal Employment”