2 grades so far, below median..help?!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2 grades so far, below median..help?!

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:10 pm

2 grades so far: B, B- on a B+ curve :cry:

I got preselected for an interview slot on OCI based on a gradeless resume, but now I already know there's no chance in hell I'll get a call back once I show them my transcript. Out of courtesy (and for the experience), I'll still go through the interview, but how shitty of a situation am I in?

Minority (non-urm) and with pretty decent professional work experience. School is in the UCLA/UT/Vandy range.

romothesavior

Re: 2 grades so far, below median..help?!

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2 grades so far: B, B- on a B+ curve :cry:

I got preselected for an interview slot on OCI based on a gradeless resume, but now I already know there's no chance in hell I'll get a call back once I show them my transcript. Out of courtesy (and for the experience), I'll still go through the interview, but how shitty of a situation am I in?

Minority (non-urm) and with pretty decent professional work experience. School is in the UCLA/UT/Vandy range.

How many more grades are you waiting on?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:

2 more: one 4 credit hour substantive class; the other a 2 credit hour LRW

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yeah, you're in a rough spot right now I'd say, and it may ruin your shot with this particular job. You're definitely not in dropout range, so I'd go talk to profs about what you did wrong and figure out how to do better. Dunno what kind of minority you are, but if you've got an interview slot, your diversity status is probably your best hope for getting you a 1L SA (which is the case for most, since non-URM 1L SAs are almost non-existent). At the very worst, you do the interview to get some experience with the interview process to help yourself for the fall, and you figure out how you can turn things around this semester.

I'm just a 1L though, so I'd be interested to hear what some 2Ls/3Ls say.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:55 am

You're definitely not in dropout range

The question becomes when is he in dropout range? Every grade back thus far is bottom half of the class. Wait too much longer and the school will not refund spring semester. Of course schools time this hoping you will stick it out for another week. At some point I recommend cutting losses and moving on to another pursuit.

Don't worry about the job too much. If your confidence is already shot to hell because of the grades then you will think that is why you didnt get the job. Kind of a vicious circle.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:02 am

Not good, a B- is a very poor grade. You need to talk to your professor and figure out what you did wrong if you want to stay in school. You will likely need to be creative with your job search, unless you are able to pull your grades up drastically next semester.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:00 am

Younger Abstention wrote:Not good, a B- is a very poor grade. You need to talk to your professor and figure out what you did wrong if you want to stay in school. You will likely need to be creative with your job search, unless you are able to pull your grades up drastically next semester.

OP here.

I don't want to say too much to give myself or my school away, but oddly of the two grades I'm more surprised about the B than the B- (granted, I'm still disappointed with the B-). The B- came from a complete M/C exam, where people who got As in other classes still tended to get Bs. Unfortunately for me, the other grade also happened to be in the B range, where going into the exam, I actually expected to be near the top of the section based on practice exam performance/knowledge of the material. I guess for that exam, I need to speak w the professor/look at it.

mapnoren

Postby mapnoren » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:50 am

Don't let people on TLS freak you out. While those grades are not wonderful, you still have more to come. In addition, you have second semester as well to bring your gpa up. Many students do not have a paid summer job after the first year. Thus, it is essential to have strong grades at the end of 1L for 2L OCI, but don't sweat it now, and certainly do not drop out! You have worked too hard and expended too much effort to let some haters on TLS convince you to throw it all away.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:22 am

mapnoren wrote:Don't let people on TLS freak you out. While those grades are not wonderful, you still have more to come. In addition, you have second semester as well to bring your gpa up. Many students do not have a paid summer job after the first year. Thus, it is essential to have strong grades at the end of 1L for 2L OCI, but don't sweat it now, and certainly do not drop out! You have worked too hard and expended too much effort to let some haters on TLS convince you to throw it all away.

1. Are you a 0L? If so, please just stop.
2. He came onto TLS asking for an assessment of his situation. That is what people are giving him.
3. I don't think anybody here is being a "hater."

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:
mapnoren wrote:Don't let people on TLS freak you out. While those grades are not wonderful, you still have more to come. In addition, you have second semester as well to bring your gpa up. Many students do not have a paid summer job after the first year. Thus, it is essential to have strong grades at the end of 1L for 2L OCI, but don't sweat it now, and certainly do not drop out! You have worked too hard and expended too much effort to let some haters on TLS convince you to throw it all away.

2. He came onto TLS asking for an assessment of his situation. That is what people are giving him.

+1.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Last edited by vamedic03 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:01 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

Like others have said, you're a 0L. I don't understand how you can give OCI / career advice.

Mapnoren is not a 0L. According to the post history, Mapnoren is a 2L who transfered up last year.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:03 pm

CyLaw wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

Like others have said, you're a 0L. I don't understand how you can give OCI / career advice.

Mapnoren is not a 0L. According to the post history, Mapnoren is a 2L who transfered up last year.

haha

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:06 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

It's still bad advice.

I actually think it's fine advice. Wait and see what his other three grades are, and then we can give better advice. He's not in a good position by any means, but he's not screwed by a B- and a B if his other grades come out better.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:09 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
It's still bad advice.

I actually think it's fine advice. Wait and see what his other three grades are, and then we can give better advice. He's not in a good position by any means, but he's not screwed by a B- and a B if his other grades come out better.

Yea, i edited my post when I reread what he wrote. It's just not responsive to the OP (which asks about spring OCI) and paints an overly rosy picture.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:10 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
It's still bad advice.

Yea, i edited my post when I reread what he wrote. It's just not responsive to the OP (which asks about spring OCI) and paints an overly rosy picture.

I probably should have re-read the OP to see that he was talking Spring OCI. Yeah, unless he get's all A's on the rest of his classes, Spring OCI may end up rough for him.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:43 pm

I would definitely stick it out through the spring semester.

1L year I received two Bs in 5 credit courses. School ranked slightly lower than yours, similar curve. I still got Biglaw at fall oci. If you manage one A and a couple A-'s, you will be in a pretty good position for fall oci. Only think about dropping out if you are significantly below median after 1L. At least you have no C's, which a few people presumably do.

Spring oci wold have been hard anyway, I think your ethnicity is probably more important than your grades for 1L diversity spots.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:39 pm

I would reiterate quitting. At least inform the school you are considering it so that you are not waiting for 2 more weeks and passing the refund period before you find out you have more lousy grades.

Whenever you have below median grades you are simply acting as a support for the top half of the class. they couldn't do it without you.

mapnoren

Postby mapnoren » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:32 pm

To clear things up, I am not a 0L, I am a 2L student who transferred to Vandy/USC/WUSTL. If he only has 2 grades, he likely has 3-4 grades still to be posted. He did not fail any courses yet, and if the grades he does have turn out to be his lowest two, the OP could end up relatively high in his class. It would be a poor decision to quit at this point.

mapnoren

Postby mapnoren » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yeah, you're in a rough spot right now I'd say, and it may ruin your shot with this particular job. You're definitely not in dropout range, so I'd go talk to profs about what you did wrong and figure out how to do better. Dunno what kind of minority you are, but if you've got an interview slot, your diversity status is probably your best hope for getting you a 1L SA (which is the case for most, since non-URM 1L SAs are almost non-existent). At the very worst, you do the interview to get some experience with the interview process to help yourself for the fall, and you figure out how you can turn things around this semester.

I'm just a 1L though, so I'd be interested to hear what some 2Ls/3Ls say.

Romo, you are just a 1L, you are in no position to be calling people out.

suebee2

Postby suebee2 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:49 pm

romothesavior wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:59 pm

You're fucked for 1L summer. You don't need a firm job 1L summer.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:17 pm

Kohinoor wrote:You're fucked for 1L summer. You don't need a firm job 1L summer.

This. Measuring success in lawl school based on receipt of a 1L SA is maybe the most ridiculous thing I've heard on a message board full of ridiculous things.

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

lol at the picture (but not at your anonymity). I think that having it drilled in our heads as 0Ls that we couldn't talk about this kind of stuff has made us a bit too excited about technically being able to reply to posts in the Legal Employment section that we don't stop and think about whether or not we truly should. I for sure don't know very much more about the 1L hiring process than I did as an 0L. I think this subject is best left up to 2Ls and 3Ls, people who've already, ya know, COMPLETED the 1L hiring process (along with all their friends and classmates).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:32 pm

Really have no idea how what I posted was being a jerk. Nor do I see how posting memes with the anon feature is appropriate.

Return to “Legal Employment”