1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Omerta

Bronze

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Post by Omerta » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:55 pm

Omerta wrote:What do you do about federal judges that are taking their sweet time to hire? I'm still in contention with 3 federal judges, all secondary markets. They haven't hired yet, but I still haven't gotten an interview with any of them. Emailed the clerks already and was told "judge will start reviewing applications soon." How do I handle this? It's getting really late in the year for me to hold out for one of them.

I struck out at 1L OCI and fed agencies, so what do I do now? Start looking at RA positions? I have a PT one locked down, working on trying to get another one. Should I start looking at state courts or smaller personal injury firms? I like PI work and I did a little of it before I went to law school. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I'll try one more time since nobody bit; any advice?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:59 pm

Omerta wrote:
Omerta wrote:What do you do about federal judges that are taking their sweet time to hire? I'm still in contention with 3 federal judges, all secondary markets. They haven't hired yet, but I still haven't gotten an interview with any of them. Emailed the clerks already and was told "judge will start reviewing applications soon." How do I handle this? It's getting really late in the year for me to hold out for one of them.

I struck out at 1L OCI and fed agencies, so what do I do now? Start looking at RA positions? I have a PT one locked down, working on trying to get another one. Should I start looking at state courts or smaller personal injury firms? I like PI work and I did a little of it before I went to law school. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Spam everywhere. Sometimes it's the only thing you can go.

lawloser22

Bronze

Post by lawloser22 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:01 pm

Omerta wrote:

I think your grades put you in serious contention for paid work. I would take a goosey-like approach and call up all midlaw firms in ATL to see if they'd be interested in a top 1% student from their city's top LS. Split it w/ a judge/RA.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:01 pm

Omerta wrote:

there's always terrorism
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:08 pm

Any 1Ls in here with IP related experience want to share your summer job situation?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:11 pm

nothing like hitting 5 p.m. on Friday when you've been anxiously checking phone/email for the past three days. interviewer said they'd make decisions by the end of the week ... no news is officially bad news at this point.

so depressing.

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:46 pm

lawloser22 wrote: I think your grades put you in serious contention for paid work. I would take a goosey-like approach and call up all midlaw firms in ATL to see if they'd be interested in a top 1% student from their city's top LS. Split it w/ a judge/RA.
Super, thanks for the advice. I'll start making a list to call Monday. Thank god I spent spring break working so I can make random unsolicited calls all next week!

edit: goosey, I sent you an unsolicited pm. Hope that was ok.
Last edited by Omerta on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:49 pm

Omerta wrote:
lawloser22 wrote: I think your grades put you in serious contention for paid work. I would take a goosey-like approach and call up all midlaw firms in ATL to see if they'd be interested in a top 1% student from their city's top LS. Split it w/ a judge/RA.
Super, thanks for the advice. I'll start making a list to call Monday. Thank god I spent spring break working so I can make random unsolicited calls all next week!

I literally did not do a single thing all of break--I have 2.5 days left to salvage the break. ugh

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:07 pm

I have the first half of my summer lined up (1L OCI).

I have an interview for a highly paid second half gig coming up on March 31st. I also have an offer for an unpaid internship with the DOJ for the second half of the summer. I need to respond to that offer within a few days.

What do I do? Do I decline the unpaid offer with the DOJ in hopes of landing that highly paid gig? Or do I accept the unpaid offer, be done with my summer job search and begin focusing on exams?

If it's relevant. First half of my summer is paid. I am 1 of 3 candidates at my school being considered for the highly paid 2nd half of the summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mythosopher

New

Post by mythosopher » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:31 pm

solotee wrote:I have the first half of my summer lined up (1L OCI).

I have an interview for a highly paid second half gig coming up on March 31st. I also have an offer for an unpaid internship with the DOJ for the second half of the summer. I need to respond to that offer within a few days.

What do I do? Do I decline the unpaid offer with the DOJ in hopes of landing that highly paid gig? Or do I accept the unpaid offer, be done with my summer job search and begin focusing on exams?

If it's relevant. First half of my summer is paid. I am 1 of 3 candidates at my school being considered for the highly paid 2nd half of the summer.
I thought DOJ didn't do split summers?

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:37 pm

mythosopher wrote:
solotee wrote:I have the first half of my summer lined up (1L OCI).

I thought DOJ didn't do split summers?
They usually don't, but they said they'll work with me.

geekrocker37

Bronze

Post by geekrocker37 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Didn't get in-house summer position, but more than happy to settle for PI program in my target city and a part time RA position. Should be enough to at least pay for the bar tab.

Now I just have to make sure the PI stigma doesn't follow me into OCI.

SkepticalHippo

New

Post by SkepticalHippo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:43 pm

Has anyone gotten a call with an offer from a judge that you previously interviewed with on the same day as you have an interview with another judge? What is the proper way to handle this situation if you want to accept the first offer? I'm assuming you should call, explain the situation, and cancel the interview with the second judge. In most cases, would the judge understand that there was really nothing you could have done to avoid this?

I am not in this situation, but I almost wish I was considering that it would mean I actually had an offer lol. A judge that I interviewed with said that he would get back to me(may be a bad sign though...) and I may be scheduling an interview with another judge soon, so I am a little bit worried about hearing from the first judge after scheduling an interview with the second.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mythosopher

New

Post by mythosopher » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:56 pm

Yes, call ahead and withdraw your application, explaining that you took another position elsewhere that day. If I were your interviewer, I'd be glad I didn't waste my time interviewing someone who didn't want the job.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:47 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Well, I've applied to zero jobs total at this point. :| However, I'm planning on applying for a bunch of gov't litigation jobs (USAO, state AG, city attorney) and some firms for the hell of it.

Is the consensus that firm cover letters should be quite brief and that public sector cover letters should go into somewhat greater detail about why I am interested in the particular position? The "sample" cover letters on my school's CDO site are pretty sparse.
My firm cover letters were a touch longer, but only because I wanted to drop something into the letter showing I'd done my research on the firm. A mock interviewer from a firm said it was a really good cover letter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:28 pm

Forgot to post that I accepted a 1L SA. I'll be at a major market V15 this summer. No special background, no diversity. At a T14. Lots of my friends got 1L SA positions as well...looks like the market is improving?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Forgot to post that I accepted a 1L SA. I'll be at a major market V15 this summer. No special background, no diversity. At a T14. Lots of my friends got 1L SA positions as well...looks like the market is improving?
Congrats. Class rank?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

battle_tested

New

Post by battle_tested » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Forgot to post that I accepted a 1L SA. I'll be at a major market V15 this summer. No special background, no diversity. At a T14. Lots of my friends got 1L SA positions as well...looks like the market is improving?
Did you and your friends just mass mail? Any specific strategy?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:44 pm

TTH wrote:
Congrats. Class rank?
Top 5%, but lots of my friends with lower grades got firm jobs.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:19 pm

Anybody know when the NALP Directory will get updated?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:45 pm

geekrocker37 wrote:Didn't get in-house summer position, but more than happy to settle for PI program in my target city and a part time RA position. Should be enough to at least pay for the bar tab.

Now I just have to make sure the PI stigma doesn't follow me into OCI.
What PI program? I got dinged too, so high five bro.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:02 pm

TTH wrote:Anybody know when the NALP Directory will get updated?
Seriously, I've been waiting on this. Last year it updated in February :| .

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:04 pm

hipstermafia wrote:Any 1Ls in here with IP related experience want to share your summer job situation?
Hey, I'm a 1L at one of CCN and every IP person I know has a firm job and had at least 2-3 offers. Really good backgrounds and experiences though. 2 ChemEs and 2 EEs and one ME. I can say a bit more about my experiences personally if you want but I don't feel comfortable putting other people's business in the street so to speak.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:29 pm

jerjon2 wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:Any 1Ls in here with IP related experience want to share your summer job situation?
Hey, I'm a 1L at one of CCN and every IP person I know has a firm job and had at least 2-3 offers. Really good backgrounds and experiences though. 2 ChemEs and 2 EEs and one ME. I can say a bit more about my experiences personally if you want but I don't feel comfortable putting other people's business in the street so to speak.
I have not been seeing the same luck for IP at NU. Offhand, I only know of a couple of 1Ls with a tech background who will be at firms.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:29 pm

keg411 wrote:
TTH wrote:Anybody know when the NALP Directory will get updated?
Seriously, I've been waiting on this. Last year it updated in February :| .
INORITE?

That's what I thought, too, but I was starting to wonder if I had imagined it all. NALP has been perfectly useless for 1L job searching this year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”