0L Networking

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

0L Networking

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:40 pm

I'm heading to NYC this summer to get situated for law school. I'm wondering if it would be at all helpful to reach out to alumni from my school and see if I might be able to do a little work on the side at their firms to get myself a leg up on the competition come OCI. Would this be an exercise in futility, or could I actually gain something from it?

Re: 0L Networking

Postby ShiftyPig » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:54 pm

Alumni from undergrad or from your law school?

Undergrad: go for it.
Law school: lol.

Re: 0L Networking

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:50 pm

0L networking is tricky. Don't screw up your reputation by being "that guy". Networking with undergraduate alumni is fine, networking with law school alumni from a law school you haven't studied a day in yet is something I would advice against.

As a 0L, he is what I would do:

1. Contact undergraduate alumni.
2. Contact ALL of your current contacts: Friends, friends of friends, friend's parents, your parent's friends, former professors, etc. You would be surprised what happens when you ask. I contacted an old undergraduate professor that I took Crim Law with to see if he had any ideas about applying. Turns out he is good friends with the head recruiting officer at the DA's office I am interested in, told him that I was at the top of his class while also writing me a recommendation directed specifically at that person. And to think, I was hesitant to contact him.
3. Keep in touch with the past. Even if someone cannot help you now, they may help you in the future. They would be more inclined to help you later if you keep in touch rather than not talk for years and then show up out of the blue when you heard that they have some opportunity open.

Return to “Legal Employment”