Can having the same name as a wayward relative be an issue? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Can having the same name as a wayward relative be an issue?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:52 pm

Particularly during the age of Google, where, for instance, negative information about that relative might be easily available if someone were to search for your name. It can probably be deduced that the two are different people because of a significant age difference, but nonetheless, would firms be put off by what a cursory glance might mean to clients, etc.? Is this just paranoia, or would a legal name change be a serious consideration?

LjakW

Bronze

Re: Can having the same name as a wayward relative be an issue?

Post by LjakW » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:09 pm

Is your name Bernard L. Madoff or a name similarly unique and infamous? I think if every interviewer, and in the future, client, will have to wonder about whether you are the wayward one, a name change just might be something to consider.

P.S. If your name actually was Madoff, I think that would be a great conversation starter for interviews and meetings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:17 pm

LjakW wrote:Is your name Bernard L. Madoff or a name similarly unique and infamous? I think if every interviewer, and in the future, client, will have to wonder about whether you are the wayward one, a name change just might be something to consider.

P.S. If your name actually was Madoff, I think that would be a great conversation starter for interviews and meetings.
yeah it worked wonders for Mark Madoff

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:22 pm

Just be active about managing your online persona, and you'll be OK.

Use Facebook, Linkedin, etc. to make sure that when you google you, you get you, and you get professional-looking informatin that you put up there yourself.

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LjakW wrote:Is your name Bernard L. Madoff or a name similarly unique and infamous? I think if every interviewer, and in the future, client, will have to wonder about whether you are the wayward one, a name change just might be something to consider.

yeah it worked wonders for Mark Madoff
You're right, I used it for an illustrative purpose. However, the direct accusations and lawsuits against him no doubt contributed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:55 pm

You will definitely be googled, but anyone with sense should be able to tell that you are not the "wayward" person who shares the same name as you. Renzo's tip about linkedin etc... is also rally good.

Also, Pro Tip:

Don't sign up for twitter using your real name, especially if your twitter username is one you use elsewhere on the internet.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:55 am

i think you should lay off the weed if it makes you this paranoid
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

fear&loathingintexas

New

Post by fear&loathingintexas » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:54 am

Maybe to distinguish yourself from them, you could go by your full name (if your middle name is different) or maybe use your middle initial if this ne'er-do-well you're related to doesn't. Like if you don't want to be confused with the "other" John Smith, you could go by John L. Smith and refer to yourself as such on LinkedIn, FB, resumes, etc.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:58 am

fear&loathingintexas wrote:Maybe to distinguish yourself from them, you could go by your full name (if your middle name is different) or maybe use your middle initial if this ne'er-do-well you're related to doesn't. Like if you don't want to be confused with the "other" John Smith, you could go by John L. Smith and refer to yourself as such on LinkedIn, FB, resumes, etc.
Good suggestion... from now on, I'm going to call myself Osama J. bin Laden.

Hopefully this will help to avert all of the usual confusion!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:01 am

Adjudicator wrote:
fear&loathingintexas wrote:Maybe to distinguish yourself from them, you could go by your full name (if your middle name is different) or maybe use your middle initial if this ne'er-do-well you're related to doesn't. Like if you don't want to be confused with the "other" John Smith, you could go by John L. Smith and refer to yourself as such on LinkedIn, FB, resumes, etc.
Good suggestion... from now on, I'm going to call myself Osama J. bin Laden.

Hopefully this will help to avert all of the usual confusion!
FLAME! Cuz Bush would have already flown you out of the country and facilitated your reentry/name change if you really were a member of the Bin Laden family.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”