Clerk from non-accredited school? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
king3780

Bronze

Clerk from non-accredited school?

Post by king3780 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:44 pm

I go to school on the East Coast, but I have family in Idaho so I was looking at clerkship opportunities there. The clerks are listed for the state supreme court, so I googled a few and found what I thought was a crazy result. One of the two clerks for the chief justice went to an unaccredited law school (Oak Brook - I guess it's an online school). He's also big into the creation-evolution debate. Does this seem wild to anyone else that the top judge in the state would hire someone from an online law school?

minuit

Silver

Re: Clerk from non-accredited school?

Post by minuit » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:59 pm

Slim pickins' in Idaho, perhaps?

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:13 pm

Hiring decisions aren't always based on school and grades.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:19 pm

ggocat wrote:Hiring decisions aren't always based on school and grades.
I get that, but I think there's a big difference between a judge hiring someone from a T2 or even a TTT over a T1 school b/c there's some kind of personal connection or other compelling factor and hiring someone from an unaccredited school. With the way the ABA goes about accrediting schools well beyond what is needed, it seems that being a grad of one of the 200+ accredited schools in America should be a minimum qualification.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:22 pm

Do the clerk and the judge happen to have the same last name?

Are judges elected in Idaho?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:39 pm

Renzo wrote:Do the clerk and the judge happen to have the same last name?

lol, I was thinking the same things. Looked it up, they are elected. If they are not related or family friends, my guess is the clerk is the son of a large campaign contributor. Or the judges in Idaho are just stupid as fuck.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:55 pm

2011Law wrote:

lol, I was thinking the same things. Looked it up, they are elected. If they are not related or family friends, my guess is the clerk is the son of a large campaign contributor. Or the judges in Idaho are just stupid as fuck.
Judges in Idaho are elected. I doubt there is a campaign contribution connection since the clerks dad is a rabbi or something in Chicago. Judge could be Jewish and just wanted to bring in another Jew in a state without many of them. As to the bolded, way to brush with a broad stroke... one judge picks a clerk that on the surface seems to be an odd choice, so not only do you deem him stupid, but all other judges in the state as well. Well done.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:01 pm

king3780 wrote:
2011Law wrote:

Judges in Idaho are elected. I doubt there is a campaign contribution connection since the clerks dad is a rabbi or something in Chicago. Judge could be Jewish and just wanted to bring in another Jew in a state without many of them. As to the bolded, way to brush with a broad stroke... one judge picks a clerk that on the surface seems to be an odd choice, so not only do you deem him stupid, but all other judges in the state as well. Well done.
Haha, if that's the reason the judge chose the clerk then he's dumber than I would have thought. Doesn't he know there is no god? But really, choosing someone simply cause they're jewish? And what, rabbis can't be corrupt? That's profiling, and I, for one, will not tolerate that sort of behavior.

You are right, however. I apologize for offending your delicate Idahoan sensibilities.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:14 pm

king3780 wrote:
2011Law wrote:

I am so not getting into the middle of this... but I did have to point out that there is an overabundance of Jews available in accredited law schools in this country... So that ain't it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:40 pm

2011Law wrote:
king3780 wrote:
2011Law wrote:

Haha, if that's the reason the judge chose the clerk then he's dumber than I would have thought. Doesn't he know there is no god? But really, choosing someone simply cause they're jewish? And what, rabbis can't be corrupt? That's profiling, and I, for one, will not tolerate that sort of behavior.

You are right, however. I apologize for offending your delicate Idahoan sensibilities.
You're such a cute little 0L. I point out that you're using sweeping generalizations, so you make a backhanded comment about my "delicate Idahoan sensibilities." I wasn't saying the judge picked the clerk because he was jewish, only that was something I could find in common between them. And what does whether rabbis are corrupt have to do with this conversation?

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:42 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:
king3780 wrote:
2011Law wrote:

I am so not getting into the middle of this... but I did have to point out that there is an overabundance of Jews available in accredited law schools in this country... So that ain't it.
How many of the overabundance of Jews were applying for a job in Boise, Idaho?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:40 pm

king3780 wrote:I go to school on the East Coast, but I have family in Idaho so I was looking at clerkship opportunities there. The clerks are listed for the state supreme court, so I googled a few and found what I thought was a crazy result. One of the two clerks for the chief justice went to an unaccredited law school (Oak Brook - I guess it's an online school). He's also big into the creation-evolution debate. Does this seem wild to anyone else that the top judge in the state would hire someone from an online law school?
Eh, this type of thing isn't completely uncommon. If you search, you'll see clerks in places like secondary market US DCs and COAs circuits (a lot of times they are career clerks) that went to terrible t4s and will wonder how the fuck that guy got that job. For example, a cooley grad works for a judge on the 6th circuit. These people are obviously huge outliers, but it happens (I've even heard of people from low ranking schools make it to SCOTUS in the past).

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:26 am

I know a few Non-ABA accredited grads who clerk for Fed Magistrates. It happens more then you would think, especially in areas where there is not a large base of law schools to hire from.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”